When i grew up in my High school years i used buy those Tandy Electronic kits where can make things on a Board. You used be able buy the large ones where you could make 250 things in one kit. The kits used to have components like resistor, diodes, transistors and Leds. And a analogue meter and a Speaker. It was fun and this is how i got started in Electronics and then Computers.

Now we have Arduino and the more i read about it the more fascinated i am becoming ,then Intel Edison gets launched. Now i am really interested but have no idea where to start.

So should i buy the starters kit and work myself up slowly. The only problem i can see is programming as I have not learned to program anything except in basic.

A few places are starting to popup and looking at the catalogues it seems like a whole new world where anything and everything can be built.

Was thinking of buying a cheap laptop and hooking Arduino up too that.

Have you checked out Raspberry Pi? It might be a good starting point, not to mention a cheap linux machine.

i thought Raspberry Pi is like Intel Edison and you still need an interface to use it.

I'm not familiar with Intel Edison except from what I've briefly read on Google, but I think they're similar in terms of interfacing.

I've only just been reading about and got interested in DIY electronics over the past month or so because I've been trying to figure out if I could make an 'instrument' for chipmusic/8-bit music.

I think raspberry Pi has everything on board ,where Arduino you can learn to build up the system. Intel edison is like a CPU on Motherboards it drives the system via an interface board.

http://readwrite.com/2014/05/07/arduino-vs-raspberry-pi-projects-diy-platform

Then you can get a thing called a Arduberry, which pops on top of the RaspberryPi and gives you a whole bunch of analogue IO without needing to use a USB port or a powersupply.

I spent an hour looking through the Altronics store at Virginia in Brisbane, they stock a whole bunch of stuff that even Jaycar don't. Jaycar stock a limited range of Freetronics branded Arduino gear though, but it can be an expensive hobby.

• Like 1

http://readwrite.com/2014/05/07/arduino-vs-raspberry-pi-projects-diy-platform

Then you can get a thing called a Arduberry, which pops on top of the RaspberryPi and gives you a whole bunch of analogue IO without needing to use a USB port or a powersupply.

I spent an hour looking through the Altronics store at Virginia in Brisbane, they stock a whole bunch of stuff that even Jaycar don't. Jaycar stock a limited range of Freetronics branded Arduino gear though, but it can be an expensive hobby.

Nice link with some good comparisons of the two types. Looking at the chart it seem Raspberry PI can do a lot more in some areas.

With Linux support could be good for learning Linux and Raspberry Pi at the same time.

I thought Altronics shut down years ago. Need to look them up again.

I thought they were similar too, but they are designed for different purposes.

The Arduino is designed to do "single-tasks" and do them quickly and efficiently

The RaspberryPi is an embedded computer, designed to run an operating system, and multi-task. It has limited analogue IO.

• Like 1

The impressions I get (without actual experience with either) - Arduino more mature and probably more oriented towards robotics, electronic experimentation and bare bones interfacing where you can just roll your own protocols.

RasPi more "standard" but give it an OS to boot and you can start doing stuff right away.

Personally I'd sway to the RasPi, especially the new model.

As they both very cheap i suppose i could get both and see which is better for me. Then i could build up on it.

Was reading that Arduino and Raspberry Pi could be used to together ,Arduino could be used as a controller and Raspberry as the Computer.

I was cleaning out my old Electronics corner in my shed and found some boxes of precision Resistors and Capacitors which include tantalums and Electrolytics. Another box was full of ceramic capacitors ,leds and transistors.

Thinking i might setup one of my old pc's to link up with arduino or even raspberry Pi ,both require a USB port or Ethernet connection. In our area they switched on free wifi for disabled and students. So i suppose a wifi modem or something could made with either Arduino or Raspberry Pi.

Scanning all stores seem most stockists have different types of starter kits.

I've been looking at Jaycar, they seem to stock a lot of Arduino compatible stuff, and Altronics seem to stock both RaspPi and Arduino gear.

I think Raspberry Pi and Arduino will shine with the new IDE in Windows10.

I just found out last night that you can get the Arduino IDE for Android, I never realised.

I'd heard about pcDuino, but never looked into until today, it's basically a Single Board Computer (runs linux or android) with an embedded Arduino compatible chip, designed to accept the Arduino shields http://www.pcduino.com/

Be worth looking at too.

Well, I went and bought the Freetronics Experimenters kit from Jaycar yesterday, spent a good 5 hours doing all the "projects" in the starter guide.

I think after fiddling with the standalone board, I want to get a pcDuino to develop on.

I've been thinking about this all day. I wanted to make an RGB LED controller using 3 sliding Potentiometers, but I only had 1 rotary pot available, but plenty of buttons.

So I came up with this:

CEUIefkUgAEGFUc.jpg

The three buttons correspond to the R, G and B values, taken from the value of the Pot when pressed.

So you set the value on the Pot, press the R button, then the value of the Pot is [divided by 4] and sent to the red pin. And so on with the other buttons.

It took a little while to think it through, piece it together, and then work out what code will make it work.

I could potentially use three more PWM outputs to drive a reference LED for each colour component, but the little breadboard I have is feeling a little cramped already.

I really need a lot more parts!!!

int redLedPin = 9;
int greenLedPin = 10;
int blueLedPin = 11;
int redSwitchPin = 2;
int greenSwitchPin = 3;
int blueSwitchPin = 4;
int redLevel = 0;
int greenLevel = 0;
int blueLevel = 0;

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
  pinMode(redLedPin, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(greenLedPin, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(blueLedPin, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(redSwitchPin, INPUT);
  pinMode(greenSwitchPin, INPUT);
  pinMode(blueSwitchPin, INPUT);

}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
    if(digitalRead(redSwitchPin) == HIGH) {
      redLevel = analogRead(A0) / 4;
    }
    if(digitalRead(greenSwitchPin) == HIGH) {
      greenLevel = analogRead(A0) / 4;
    }
    if(digitalRead(blueSwitchPin) == HIGH) {
      blueLevel = analogRead(A0) / 4;
    }
  analogWrite(redLedPin, redLevel);
  analogWrite(greenLedPin, greenLevel);
  analogWrite(blueLedPin, blueLevel);
}

Ok, I've decided what my next project will be.

I'm going to wire a bunch of these together: (Or get the Adafruit - pre-made version)

RGBLED-daisychain_large.jpg

And either put them in a lamp enclosure, or keep them in a string.

I have acquired an Electric Imp and would like to investigate the possibilities of IoT (the Internet of Things)

• Like 1

Thanks to a Microsoft AU promotion around introducing programmers to IoT platforms, I have a Netduino 2 Plus.

I also have a nice new desk with a frosted glass top.

I've purchased a 1M strip that contain 30 NeoPixel lights that are similar to the ones smadge1 posted above, but run off 5V.

Here's a comparable product from AdaFruit, but I brought mine off AliExpress for around 1/3 the price.

Didin't take much to get working; here's a test:

The idea is to use that one for notifications (Email, FB, Twitter, whatever else I think of) at the front of my desk and then buy some more for ambient light over the rest of my desk.

• Like 1

The NeoPixel page said that they didn't really work with the NetDuino due to the timings of the protocol. Is the NetDuino 2 specifically better?

Edited by smadge1

The NeoPixel page said that they didn't really work with the NetDuino due to the timings of the protocol. Is the NetDuino 2 specifically better?

I read that, just before I posted the above.

Blindly, I just purchased it without any research beyond making sure it needed just 5V.

When it arrived, plugged it in, wrote some code (against a MS supplied library that abstracts talking to NeoPixels) and it just worked.

I would say that your hypothesis of the Netduino 2 plus, is correct.

Edited by Charcoal

Actually, I'm now thinking about just doing some DMX integration too.

I could just grab a few of these, and use the Arduino to control them (with IoT)

71083-L-LO.jpg

Edited by smadge1
  • Like 1