Now we have Arduino and the more i read about it the more fascinated i am becoming ,then Intel Edison gets launched. Now i am really interested but have no idea where to start.

So should i buy the starters kit and work myself up slowly. The only problem i can see is programming as I have not learned to program anything except in basic.

A few places are starting to popup and looking at the catalogues it seems like a whole new world where anything and everything can be built.

Was thinking of buying a cheap laptop and hooking Arduino up too that.

Hey codecreeper, have you started anything yet?

I've now got a fair bit of stuff off eBay from China etc, it's a lot cheaper than buying instore, as long as you don't mind having no support, a long wait and the possibility of packages not even arriving. My list of things to buy to try keeps getting longer however, it's sometimes hard to focus on just one thing,

I finally got around to making a breadboard Arduino today, I got some Crystals and caps last week.

It went together quite well, I'd read up on it before starting. The only thing I missed for a while was a series 0.1uF capacitor on the DTR pin, but I was able to manually boot the MCU with the reset pin/switch.

Here I have a simple setup, fading a PWM LED with a Potentiometer connected to an analog pin.

https://twitter.com/smadge1/status/638163329819676672

CNs2KI_UwAARvhm.jpg

I need to find a cheap source of ATMega chips.

Playing around with FastLED and WS2812 modules

Turns out the modules are a lot brighter when you give them a lot of Amps, more than my breadboard adaptor can supply.

Futurlec has the cheapest bare ATMega328 chips in Australia, AFAIK.

Get yourself a USBasp programmer (~$3 from China on eBay). Fully compatible with avrdude (and hence with the Arduino IDE), and means you don't need to use the Arduino bootloader.

The ATMega chips even have an internal oscillator, so you can run them without the external crystal if you like.

Yeah, I know they have an internal 8MHz oscillator, I'm not sure what impact this has on any given code I load into it, I'd have to experiment I guess.

I've been looking at the USBTinyISP as a programmer.

Going for the internal oscillator is fine for what you're doing here.

Just create a board profile in boards.ini with the clock speed set to 8000000.