Sign in to follow this  
rangazan

Windows update

I have a HP Pavillion Dv6 Note book with Windows 7 Home Premium installed,today for reasons i don't understand it up-graded it self to Windows Ultimate.
I do not have a disk to do this,my update settings are set to inform me of any updates-then i can choose to update or not,the was no such warning.
Further investigation through Windows restore shows that a restore point was established today at 6:14:58 for a Windows Anytime Upgrade,something that i didn't order it to do.I do not own a disk so the only way this could have happened is over the net-again something I didn't authorize When i check the system properties it shows that it has been activated and has a product id so it appears to be legit.......except i didn't do anything to cause this to happen! .Whats going on?

Given this is your first post with super weird text formatting, I'm guessing spam. But on the off-chance you're legit, there's only one other person claiming a random upgrade to Win 7 Ultimate (googled for "windows 7 random upgrade to ultimate"), and they spent a thread being derided for silliness:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2573777/randomly-upgraded-windows-ultimate.html

So you know, uh, congrats?

• Like 1

It's conceivable that they're consilidating the versions to make support easier - logical considering it'll soon be the -2 generation OS.

And IMO it's stupid having so many versions of an OS. x86/x64 - standard, ultimate of each is sufficient.

• Like 1

Same post word for word by a first time poster of the same name on www.sevenforums.com followed up by a post by another first time poster from the same region and with the same join date basically saying "me too". Could be spam, nothing comes up on Google with regards to Win 7 consolidation.

I contacted this forum and seven forums to seek understanding as to what was happening to my operating system.Somehow it updated itself through no action of my own.I genuinely don't know whats going on,it does appear to be a legit system upgrade,I just don't know why and was hoping someone could provide some sort of idea as to whats going on. I find the remarks provided above disapointing

Win 7 has Windows Anytime Upgrade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Anytime_Upgrade

A quick look at some articles and MS support site shows no mention though of any change of policy. Maybe some sort of OEM deal has been worked out with HP - in theory it might save them money to have to support less OS versions.