Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Nich...

Dodgy psu = new midrange build time

Have you tried the memtest, mentioned above?

Have you tried stressapptest via linus, mentioned above?

I'd probably be trying those before adjusting voltages.

Memory error found copying between 0xe99c8aec, 0x45ab8184, difference =1
Memory error found copying between 0xe99c8210, 0x45ab8184, difference =1
Memory error found copying between 0xe99c8320, 0x45ab8184, difference =1
Memory error found copying between 0xe99c8a98, 0x45ab8184, difference =1
Memory error found copying between 0xe99c8314, 0x45ab8184, difference =1
Memory error found copying between 0xe99c88e0, 0x45ab8184, difference =1
Memory error detected between 0xe99c8184, 0x45ab8184 difference = 1
Memory error detected between 0xe99c8184, 0x45ab8184 difference = 1
Memory error found copying between 0xe99c8618, 0x45ab8184, difference =1
Memory error found copying between 0xe99c8d84, 0x45ab8184, difference =1

From overnight, both sticks back in, HCI Memtest.

oh ok so do i need to have linux installed ,ill try memtest ,thanks for your help

Yes memtest is a simple bootable environment that will test your ram.

When I suggested following the steps tried in here, I meant memtest, along with trying different sticks, in different slots, and trying to rule out a memory error, or a faulty slot.

Multiple reboots usually indicate the BIOS taking some guesses at getting the timings right; which is why it eventually works.

Which is why in your thread, I made sure you'd been through and set your timings, voltages, and speed correctly after a battery change.

So we wanted to rule out memory errors.

Edited by Master_Scythe
  • Like 1

From overnight, both sticks back in, HCI Memtest.

extra sticks in puts more stress on the memory controller so if its borderline with one stick that makes sense assuming its not the second memory slot thats the problem

hci is in my limited experience the best test for quickly discovering memory controller instability although its not the only thing that can set it off

the memory controller is on the cpu but the mb quality and its bios can both have a fair affect on its stability with different models of ram

so maybe the mb is at fault maybe the cpu mem controller is struggling if so those v i mentioned above may help otherwise maybe just a different model of ram will be easier on it

it may just get too the stage where you need to start swapping hardware and hope for the best

Edited by Dasa

I tried the windows test on the one stick and no errors,I copied men test to usb stick changed boot order but it won't boot to that program

it may just get too the stage where you need to start swapping hardware and hope for the best

Yeah, will try new RAM and see how it goes. I'm not familiar enough with the defaults vs the maximum normal usage voltages you suggested above, so I didn't want to really play around with those.

Hoping the memory fixes it. If not, then I'm not really sure. Can't really justify replacing too much else at this point, given it's a couple of years old now and had been out for a couple of years when I bought it: I can't imagine it'll be cheap to just find another motherboard or CPU to see if they're the problem, and if nto get stuck with extra hardware. Part of me would laugh if it's the motherboard, tho', and that's why I couldn't get it to play nice when I had every SATA port loaded up and being used : \

anything within those ranges is considered safe for a 24\7 oc

you shouldnt need them running at stock but it may be enough to make it stable if its borderline and not actually broken

you could also try just setting the ram back to 1333 bit slower but if its stable...

So do I load XMp profile one or should I enter the timings seperatley thanks ,

Load XMP to start, if both sticks are identical (from the same kit).

If thats unstable, Load XMP, then slow the ram one step, and add 1 to all the latencies.

This is assuming you've identified your beeps correctly and they ARE ram....

The beeps are 3 short,the error on mobo is 4F. Can you please explain how I lower the ram I understand the latencies thanks again.

Ok so correct me please i am in bios now ive tried loading the xmp profile 1 and save and restart,not fixed.

If i click on Load xmp profile i get 3 options auto or profile 1 or profile 2 ,so i click on Auto Yes.

Then Dram refferance clock should be set to Auto or 100MHZ oR 133mhz.

DRAM FREQUENCY shoul i change this to 1800

Then the Latency i should add 1 so instaed of 9 would become 10 and so on Would i add 1 to the Active time as well to make that 29 .Thanks once again for your patience

Edited by redrob

Memory error found copying between 0xae875390, 0x6f84a34, difference =100000
Memory error found copying between 0xd3cb5098, 0x2c3c4e70, difference =400
hmm

That's with the ram @ 2400. No crashes tho'.

Edited by Nich...

Little bit late, but here's the inside of the case. Second fan doesn't actually fit - I thought it would, but I guess there's less space between the top of the HSF and the side panel of the case than I thought - so running the NHD15 solo.

Also, maxing out the CPU - 4 cores - running some simulations, and the temperature rises from 42 to 42.5, fan stays (relatively) silent. So good not hearing the default Intel fan whine up all the time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4cqie30cxi3hv9/2017-01-20%2013.27.16.jpg]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r1zoxxb6jgl1eua/2017-01-20%2013.22.14.jpg]

Edited by Nich...

fairly tall heatspreader on that ram means you cant mount the second fan low enough to fit the side panel on i guess

Pretty much. I knew I'd have to raise the fan above the RAM, just thought the case was wide enough. I could technically put the second fan on the back side of the heatsink, but then there's about 10mm of space between it and the rear case fan, which is just going to - i think - cause weird turbulence and/or beating issues.

I'm amazed that the video card fit back in - the HSF fins are literally resting against the back enclosure of the card (which is probably also not a bad thing).

Slowly putting all the pieces of the case back together, now I don't expect to be opening it every second day. Which means I've been playing with the drive I thought might be dead. If I use the working power and SATA cables from a known working/connected drive, it appears fine. Any other combo and it's no-go :

Edited by Nich...

what some people have done is install the fan on a angle so its still blowing onto the heatsink just some of the air at the bottom goes around

may need zip ties or something to mount it like that

• Like 1

I'm keeping an eye on the temperatures it throws out. First step will probably be to remove the low-speed attachment, and if I'm still unhappy, look at, yeah, zip-tie harness.

So far so good - and stable. 2 passes of the bootable memtest image (while at work all day) and no errors found.

if that's all taken care of, hopefully I can start playing with OCing a bit and not be second-guessing where issues lay.