Chaos.Lady

Can anyone recommend an easy way to track download by device on a network

Hey guys,

I need an easy way to track which devices connected to the network are using my download. I have a lot of devices connected to the router, so would like a reasonably easy way of tracking which local IP is hogging the lion's share of the external traffic.

Ability to ignore local traffic would be needed (although this could be worked around if necessary). Would prefer not to have to install anything on the device (as there are consoles/tablets etc on the network which would make that problematic).

Any ideas? Will pay for software if required.

Not sure it can be done on most consumer gear with the typical setup where the modem/router is the centre of the local topology and sole access portal to the outside world (unless the router has some provision).

You'd probably want a physical machine to be front-end acting as proxy server and/or hardware firewall.

So I guess you could just use a second router, having all traffic pass through the first computer though that means it has to be powered up all the time.

As for download hogs, along with the usual suspects of video sites don't forget auto-update facilities of phone/tablets though they're usually a sporadic event.

Edited by Rybags

Yeah, I've thought about using a passthrough, but am not keen on adding another layer of latency.

Bigpond speeds are sucky enough :(

Around here the main problem seems to be steam updates for games as well as a teenage video whore. But I really need to work out what usage is happening where in order to both point the finger at the culprit (and have it stick) as well as manage it.

Most modems will have some degree of logging as well as a status showing connected clients.

Problem is, if the client status bothers to give info regarding sent/received bytes, it's usually only valid for the current session. Turn the laptop off, turn the wifi on the tablet off and it just resets back to zero.

Not to mention the IP addresses will dance around.

Maybe there's some blackbox Cisco type solution that'd work, and cheaply.

Yep, ClearOS hardware firewall is your key here.

You then set up STATIC ip addresses for each device, and assign them.

then you can log based on IP, and I'm sure you can filter destination.

On a modem, no such luck.

Lets, however assume you DONT want to bother with this though.

Lets also assume it's slowdown that bothers you, and not total throughput per-se?

Lets then, look at something most routers can do easily.

Limit wifi to below your connection speed.

Then limit each ethernet port to similar speeds (quite a few modems allow this; If not, set them all to 10mbps ports, assuming your connections is faster than 10mbps).

You will only get lag and noticeable slowdowns when a connection is saturated.

I connect at 3.5mbps, and have my wifi limited to 1.5mbps. I also have all network connections, bar my own main 'rig limited to 2mbps over ethernet too.

With some poorly-functioning QoS set for gaming traffic, i'm golden sharing with 3 people.

720p youtube only uses 1.**mbps (unless they have flash installed; then no h264 for them and data usage triples; use the youtube 'stats for nerds' option and have a look)

Edited by Master_Scythe

Gargoyle compatible router with Gargoyle firmware installed is what you want.

Eg for a gargoyled router I manage.

Editor%20PC%2015-04-2015.png4ipnet%2022-04-2015.png

display interval options available are minutes, quarter hours, hours, days, months.

Display type options are total bandwidth, Qos upload class, QoS download class, Hostname or IP.

Display ID selects the individual device.

Table units select Kbytes, Mbytes etc.

You can also download the stored data as a CSV.

This router has been chugging away for over a year on an NBN Fixed wireless connection with nary an issue. Its a TP-Link TL-WR741N/ND v1 running Gargoyle 1.5.9

Not updated the firmware as it does not have any issues and would hate to break it as it is being used by a customer.

Alternatively you would need to install software based network monitors on each device, but if software is closed down you would lose the data.

Assuming a DSL or cable connection you would have to set your modem router to bridge mode and then use the Gargoyle router to manage the connection if you want to avoid a double NAT situation.

Or you may be able to do it with the Gargoyle router set to AP mode. I assume Gargoyle can still get this info in AP mode. Either way you will have to connect all LAN and WLAN devices to the Gargoyle router and turn off the existing routers WLAN.

Which router or modem/router are you currently using?

If it is just a short term check I would just get a cheap TP-Link router that is Gargoyle compatible

Say a TL-WDR4300 if you want dual band (can be had for about $80.00). Update the factory firmware to the latest then install the gargoyle_1.6.1-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-squashfs-factory.bin firmware (avoid the 1.6.2 it has wireless issues)

If you only need 2.4Ghz then the TL-WR1043ND (for around $60.00).

You would most likely get the V2 version so again update the factory firmware if not the latest and then install the gargoyle_1.6.1-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043nd-v2-squashfs-factory.bin firmware (again avoid the 1.6.2 version).

There are a few other cheaper TP-Links that work with Gargoyle but for later versions of them you need to use the 1.7.1 experimental Gargoyle firmware that I have not played with as yet.

The Netgear WNDR3800 also works with Gargoyle and can be picked up for under $100.00 if you shop around.

The tested routers list at http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=supported_routers_-_tested_routers is well out of date so you have to search the firmware list for compatible routers http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download.php

Probably worth throwing pfsense into the ring here if you have a spare PC with 2 nics in it.

The install is pretty simple. A lot of additional packages including squid and related reporting.

Traffic shaping is also another option with pfsense and yes, policies can be placed on IP addresses once you have assigned them via DHCP. You can also stipulate services to simply drop down in favour of others. I had a user on one network I managed who kept running updates on their iPad. Once I had the Mac address, I reserved their IP address and just made them run really really slow.

• Like 1