Sign in to follow this  
redrob

strange intermitant colour change

Dell UltraSharp U3014 i have been getting this wierd colour change it is blue and the screen shakes and looks like its cracked ,its strange as it does not do it all the timebut now that colour change has gone and another has taken its spot the whole screen goes a bright green and pink ,if i restart the pc its back to normal.I tried to capture a screen shot but when i viewed it it was normal.

Thanks for the reply Master_Scythe nah i definatley have dvi conected from monitor to gpu

the big white plug from monitor to gpu is that right.

OK that's a bit more odd then.

You see nothing else? no image corruption or stutters\loss of signal?

DVI is digital, its almost always 'working' or 'not' there's little if any 'in between'.

My gut says blame the GPU, but a new cable is the cheapest test, first of all.

Ok thanks again for helping ill try a new cable ,ii take a photo next time with my phone as the scrren shot save did not work.It saved it without the discolouration.

Could also be that you could have it plugged into DVI port for dual monitors ,try changing to other DVI port on Graphics Card.

gday codecreeper i only have 1 DVI plug on my hd7950 and 1 plug on my mobo ,thanks for the reply

Using Digital, its going to be hardware not software. (and your 'clean' screen cap proves that) So as annoying as it is, it's going to be a process of elimination.

Thanks Master_Scythe i managed to capture some pics this morning ,i have not got a new DVI cable yet ,so i hope these pics might help you . i dont have permision to send images hmm i hope this works.ou are not allowed to use that image extension on this community. bugger how do i send pics please. i tried using the url in tiny pics

im not having any luck with photobucket either i set up my account,then verified my email ,i have checked to see if my photo format is compatible ,it is .I still get a failed error message any ideas.

i had a few del monitor failures not exactly like that but one side of the screen went red
thankfully it was still under warranty

there photos of the monitor? or screenshots?

if there screenshots its the gpu

Thanks Dasa

nah i tried taking screen shots but when i went to view them they were normal,i captured them on my phone cam ,should still be under warranty but it does not do it all the time its not a constant problem .What do you recon i should do.

Weird... it's almost like the old analog RGB when a component dropped out except in this case those pics still seem to have discrete RGB components.

Regardless, DVI and HDMI are bitstreams so you shouldn't get such dropoffs like an analog interface can have.

Maybe it's a problem with the graphics card, or maybe a driver issue. I'd not suspect the monitor too much though it'd be handy to have a second monitor preferably running in cloned mode to rule that out.

Or maybe it's a malware or OS corruption issue.

Thanks Rybags

Don't think its malware ,i run malware bytes,super anti spyware pro,spy-bot search and destroy ,Glary utilities ,cccleaner .almost every day maybe that's to many malware programs.I have the latest driver for my gpu,as i said before i had a similar screen problem a few months ago ,the screen actually looked cracked with mutiple round shapes going from large to small,the picture would move i would say it looked like it was vibrating.

Might just try a fresh install .Thanks for your help ill try find the other pic .

Hard to say. Monitor might be a dud, though TVs and monitors can sometimes show a weird display if you try to use an unsupported mode over HDMI (my TV doesn't support the 24 fps modes but will just show vertical lines in some of them).

Really, you need another monitor or computer so to try and rule things out.

yep ok no probs i have an old chimie ill hook it up and see what happens .

Hmm the dual monitor thing is a problem because my dell only has DVI and Hdmi but my chemie only has VGA advise please

this is what i tried to no success disconnected the DVI on the Dell and the DVI on the GPU,then plugged the HDMI from the Dell to the Gpu .

Then i plugged the Chemie VGA into the VGA blue plug to the DVI adapter and plugged it in to the DVI of the GPU and nothing worked so now im back to the original DVI setup.Did i stuff up the way i connected them ,should it have worked

Another problem you'll likely find is that the older monitor probably can't do anything near the resolution of the newer one.

A solution for testing purposes might be to set both monitors to the resolution of the old one, and run in cloned mode - put up with the fuzzy text for a while, in the name of working out why it's doing what it is.

It should have worked fine;

Did you remember to drop the resolution to minimum in windows, and enable a second monitor before you started messing with plugs?

Thanks heaps Master _Scythe no i didn't but ill try that cheers.

This is so dam frustrating it has not done it since i posted the last screen shot .

I am thinking i will wipe my drive that does not have the OS on just programs,maybe there is a conflict with the old OS .

I have my OS on my SSD drive i am 99.99999 % certain this is drive f ,but for some reason it shows the SSD as being C drive .I also want to free up some space on my old Hard drive.

Untitled.jpg
image hosting free

Not sure if this screen shot is any help can you advise please