Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
TinBane

Working out what NBN ISPs are actually any good?

Moving soon, and looking at NBN plans.

Gorram there's a lot of them!

All these ISPs that I've never heard of. Now, with NBN products, does each ISP have to buy their own backhaul, or is it all handled by the NBN.

There's radical price differences between the plans. Some of which is for ISPs that prevent you using servers. There's a heap of features I don't need.

If the contention ratio will be the same on all the NBN products, then I may as well go with something cheap that has the features I want. If contention is determined by how much dosh the ISP spends on it, then getting the cheapest 100M connection will probably give me rubbish contention, and all the other users are likely to be super heavy users?

How do I work out how good internet is on Yourhub, EscapeNet, Boom Broadband, AusBBS, or Australia On Line? I've never heard of any of them!

I'm not sure NBN includes any backbone lines for places that already have them.

I imaging the startups would be leasing a mix of NBN and existing infrastructure and that chances are we're going to have a case of "2 dozen Dodos" and probably in more ways than one as the weaker ones either get absorbed or just cease to exist.

Seems I can't get it yet, and the rates on offer by TPG are unattractive vs my existing ADSL2+

The way I see it, go with an existing outfit if only for the fact that they're not likely to fall off the face of the planet.

Currently on Exetel, been with them for just over a month.

Customer service is good and prices are the best.

Nothing to complain about, but it has only been a month or so.

• Like 1

Yeah, they call themselves RSPs I think but it's good advice to go with an existing ISP who has expanded to offer NBN.

I'm not with them as yet because not available at my place at the moment but I put an office on NBN last year with iinet and had no problems at all. An occasional visitor these day here, Midnighter, is also with them and seems happy.

Cheers

• Like 1

:)

I use their ADSL because that's all I can get here, wrong cable :)

Never really had a problem with them and that's two personal, a business and many recommendations. A service to aspire to, not the cheapest I'm sure - you get what you pay for :)

Cheers

NBNCo provides backhaul (either NBNCo owned or leased from a third party) to the points of intercept where the RSP backhaul takes over.

http://tektel.com.au/nbn-pricing-explained/

explains it all quite well.

So budget RSPs tend to penny pinch on backhaul and CVC bandwidth to keep costs down. This can lead to slower data transit speeds at the customer end.

Now the beauty of an NBN FTTP or Fixed wireless connection is the NBN NTDs (the box inside) has four data ports so theoretically you can have up to four different services with four different RSPs.

What quite a few people are doing is going to a "test" ISP on a no contract or short contract plan. If the RSP turns out to be shit they order a new service with a different RSP on UNI-D2.

Once this is up and running they cancel the old service. Repeat and rinse till you find an acceptable RSP.

Provisioning a new connection only takes a couple of days and all this time is mostly eaten up by the RSP internal processes (setting up the account etc) Actual provisioning should only take a few minutes or hours at most.

Depending on budget I would look at Internode, Skymesh and DevotedNBN initially.

Internode. Been with them for some years (first DSL and now NBN FW) and despite living in Tassie (very expensive Bass Strait transit) I have rarely had congestion issues. Also have 4 IT support customers on Internode, 2 x 50/20 FTTP, 1 x 25/5 FTTP and 1 x 25/5 Fixed wireless.

Skymesh are earning a huge positive rep for service on Whirlpool with some very active support people on that forum.

2 year running thread here

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2093905

and their "official" thread

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2225255

DevotedNBN

http://www.devotednbn.com.au/

So far my brother has not had any issues with them apart from a bit slow to ship the router. Support seems to be all ok from the couple of calls he has made to them (he is a total n00b at the internet) and their text chat thing (zopim) seems to work well.

Whilst a fairly budget RSP they can save cost by only providing NBN connections. They do not do DSL, mobile wireless or anything else so their administration costs must be significantly less than a lot of other RSPs.

One Big Warning on all RSPs.

Whomever you decide to go with if going to use that RSPs VOIP service check whether they provide you with the VOIP account details and settings or not. Last I checked Optus, Iprimus and Telstra do not do this.

This means you must use the RSP supplied piece of crap crippled low end VOIP router to use their VOIP service. These things are really diabolical and should be avoided at all costs. So choose an RSP that also allows BYO routers for VOIP.

Of course if choosing your own non-RSP Voip service you should be able to use any VOIP solution with these RSPs. However some people have reported serious problems getting third party VOIP to work on Telstra at least (blocked ports or blacklisted IPs perhaps?).

Still I would avoid them on principal.

• Like 2

As said, the link from the POI to the RSP/ISP's core, and then their connections to the wider internet are the performance difference.

The rest of the value add options are unmetered content, local servers/mirrors, extra email addresses, VOIP, static/dynamic IP, permission to run servers, tech support/help desk performance, and payment options, and probably some other services too

I'm with Internode, on 100/40, and I have their power pack for Static IP, so 300GB/month costs me $105, including a VOIP account - no free calls though.

Not cheap, but I've been with internode for about 10 years now, have email inertia, and never been disappointed (except with their 3G mobile data plan I was stuck on for a while - it's shit in my area)

Speedtest.net results have peaked at 94/38, and I'm regularly getting near that within Australia and 50-60Mbit to the US - even during the evening peak times - which for some broadband users has apparently been crippled of late by Netflix traffic.

Battle.net patch for Diablo III - 10GByte download averaged ~ 9Mbytes/sec, peaked at around 10.4Mbytes/sec

Other times, I have been pulling a large software download, letting windows update with iview on the TV. Pulled up a tablet/laptop and surfed the net and it doesn't feel any different.

I was concerned there would be little point in signing up for 100/40 over 50/25, but the network is there to support the difference. In reality I don't need it, but I like it, and I was a strong advocate of FTTP, so willing to put my money where my mouth is, and sign up for the faster plan.

• Like 2

Anyone got experience with Exetel?

Currently on Exetel, been with them for just over a month.

Customer service is good and prices are the best.

Nothing to complain about, but it has only been a month or so.

I used to be with Exetel (prior to move) for a couple of years. Echo Charcoal. Customer service for me honestly could not have been better - I didn't need them much, but when I did they were prompt, spoke English well, and didn't assume I was an idiot.

NBNCo provides backhaul (either NBNCo owned or leased from a third party) to the points of intercept where the RSP backhaul takes over.

http://tektel.com.au/nbn-pricing-explained/

explains it all quite well.

So budget RSPs tend to penny pinch on backhaul and CVC bandwidth to keep costs down. This can lead to slower data transit speeds at the customer end.

Now the beauty of an NBN FTTP or Fixed wireless connection is the NBN NTDs (the box inside) has four data ports so theoretically you can have up to four different services with four different RSPs.

What quite a few people are doing is going to a "test" ISP on a no contract or short contract plan. If the RSP turns out to be shit they order a new service with a different RSP on UNI-D2.

Once this is up and running they cancel the old service. Repeat and rinse till you find an acceptable RSP.

Provisioning a new connection only takes a couple of days and all this time is mostly eaten up by the RSP internal processes (setting up the account etc) Actual provisioning should only take a few minutes or hours at most.

Depending on budget I would look at Internode, Skymesh and DevotedNBN initially.

Internode. Been with them for some years (first DSL and now NBN FW) and despite living in Tassie (very expensive Bass Strait transit) I have rarely had congestion issues. Also have 4 IT support customers on Internode, 2 x 50/20 FTTP, 1 x 25/5 FTTP and 1 x 25/5 Fixed wireless.

Skymesh are earning a huge positive rep for service on Whirlpool with some very active support people on that forum.

2 year running thread here

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2093905

and their "official" thread

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2225255

DevotedNBN

http://www.devotednbn.com.au/

So far my brother has not had any issues with them apart from a bit slow to ship the router. Support seems to be all ok from the couple of calls he has made to them (he is a total n00b at the internet) and their text chat thing (zopim) seems to work well.

Whilst a fairly budget RSP they can save cost by only providing NBN connections. They do not do DSL, mobile wireless or anything else so their administration costs must be significantly less than a lot of other RSPs.

One Big Warning on all RSPs.

Whomever you decide to go with if going to use that RSPs VOIP service check whether they provide you with the VOIP account details and settings or not. Last I checked Optus, Iprimus and Telstra do not do this.

This means you must use the RSP supplied piece of crap crippled low end VOIP router to use their VOIP service. These things are really diabolical and should be avoided at all costs. So choose an RSP that also allows BYO routers for VOIP.

Of course if choosing your own non-RSP Voip service you should be able to use any VOIP solution with these RSPs. However some people have reported serious problems getting third party VOIP to work on Telstra at least (blocked ports or blacklisted IPs perhaps?).

Still I would avoid them on principal.

Glad you mentioned that because that was the problem I had with Telstra at the start of last year, there was no way I was going to throw out my (then)new router and IP phone...sop I threw out Telstra instead. Went with internode for the net and Telecube for VOIP.

Glad you mentioned that because that was the problem I had with Telstra at the start of last year, there was no way I was going to throw out my (then)new router and IP phone...sop I threw out Telstra instead.

Ye personally I think it is a real areshole thing to pull on customers.

Thanks so much guys.

Thanks aliali for your awesome post, and wise warning!

You guys are the best :)