Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Raspberry Pi and Windows 10

Ho.

Lee.

Crap.

That's damn cool; I have a few arcade machines that run best with Windows emulators...... With a ram-sink, i'm yet to find a Pi that wont reach 1.2ghz.... time to upgrade (or... simplify, as it were) my machines.

Was just researching this again this morning - found this:

http://raspberry.piaustralia.com.au/blogs/news/17254948-what-does-windows-10-on-raspberry-pi-2-mean

And there's other stories on it too. But at the moment it's just really for developers.

BTW, did anyone order one of the devices from MS a year or so ago?

Still waiting for confirmation that they're sending it to me. Can't even remember what the hell I ordered.

http://raspberry.piaustralia.com.au/blogs/news/17254948-what-does-windows-10-on-raspberry-pi-2-mean

And there's other stories on it too. But at the moment it's just really for developers.

Still waiting for confirmation that they're sending it to me. Can't even remember what the hell I ordered.

Plenty of places in Aussie that you can order them from now ,most are overnight deliveries.

Ho.

Lee.

Crap.

That's damn cool; I have a few arcade machines that run best with Windows emulators...... With a ram-sink, i'm yet to find a Pi that wont reach 1.2ghz.... time to upgrade (or... simplify, as it were) my machines.

Don't get too excited. It's not desktop Windows, and it's still not x86.

I noticed it didnt have an x86 emulator 'built in'.

My mind went to Wine, or Android on Qnix... damn windows being behind the inter-operable times.

Oh well, Back to Windows XP Embedded I go.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I noticed it didnt have an x86 emulator 'built in'.

Nor does any Windows on any non-x86 platform.

My mind went to Wine, or Android on Qnix... damn windows being behind the inter-operable times.

Android apps that contain ARM machine code won't run on Android on non-ARM devices. It's no different.

If an Android app contains no ARM code, i.e. it's 100% Dalvik/Java compiled bytecode, then it will be cross-platform (as they are JIT compiled). This is the direction that .NET is now taking. The CLR is open-source and cross-platform, and VS now contains cross-platform and cross-compilation tools, so theoretically you can deliver platform-agnostic PE's that will run on any Windows system: Phone, Surface, IoT, Xbox, desktop.

Edited by SquallStrife

I think the whole idea of Windows 10 is the ability to run cross-platform applications. I'm sure Apple and/or Google aren't happy about this, but it's the future, and I'd never have picked Microsoft to be the company that did this.

I don't understand all the details, but it's basically, take the source for App on Platform X, and recompile it for Platform Y. They even have tools for making your source compatible with the new framework.

The executables and apps are still compiled for the end system, but you may only need one source code.

Plenty of places in Aussie that you can order them from now ,most are overnight deliveries.

I'm not talking about rasp pi - or buying one.

MS had some promotion thing on.