Sign in to follow this  
RenascentMisanthropy

RPG suggestions that won't tax my ultrabook graphics?

I've just finished playing Torchlight 2, I was an addict, more or less. Now I'm on the lookout for something new (downloadable on steam) that won't work my massive calibre HD4600 onboard graphics too much.

^Those. Also this http://store.steampowered.com/app/20900/

I'd also look into some of the old isometric RPGs. Baldur's Gate 1 &2. Diablo 1 & 2. Icewind Dale 1 & 2. Those 6 games are some of the best isometric RPGs ever made. EVER! You could buy them all with $60 and have change to spare. Your HD4600 will play them all on max settings.

Edited by disolusiond

You might even find that machine is new enough for a PSX emulator to not lag. Which opens up Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, all the Persona games, and god knows what else. RPG isnt really my genre.

I recon you'll get away with PSX easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbyQGBrgbrY

That video is of PS2 emulation on a (desktop) Intel HD4600.

So I'd take an educated guess and say Laptop grade HD4600 will be fine on PSX

Quick tip; all (if there are exceptions, please tell me!)

Ultrabooks when run at full peg will start to Thermal Throttle from heat, which will cause massive slowdowns that come in 'spikes'.

First step, is to install Intel XTU and try pulling about -50mv from your 'Dynamic CPU voltage'. In rare cases this is enough to shed 5*C or so, and stop throttling.

Follow this guide; ignore that it's for a surface.

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/07/surface-pro-3-undervolting-boost-performance-by-20-reduce-heat-and-noise/

But the more tested and proven solution, is to go into power options and set "Maximum Processor State" to 99%.

This basically disables 'Turbo' on the CPU. and a non turboing CPU at 99% performs way better than one that can turbo for 10 second, then half speed for 10 seconds.

to add to the others

fallout

waistland

deus ex

system shock

dragonage origins

mass effect

Edited by Dasa

Dunno if these are on Steam, but they're definitely on GOG, so downloadable is a yes - plus you get to actually own your purchases (and GOG will give you a shop credit to offset "Australia Tax", also unlike Steam):

Planescape: Torment - which has the rep of being one of the finest RPG stories. Ever. I still play it now and then.

Shadowrun Returns +DLC - very fun modern re-creation of the old feel with current hardware. Not too demanding on hardware.

heh just went back and installed planescape and icewind since i never finished them and strangely enough they run really slow on the 290 4g with win10 but fine through the 2600k igp at 1280x720

played a bit of planescape on the monitor at its stock res before upping the res and moving to the 130" projector its hard to believe its the same game it looks incredible for its age i will have to take a pic

ARCANUM! I can't believe I didn't think to mention it earlier. Make sure you get the "Unofficial Arcanum Patch" (UAP) It fixes so much.

And it's a game you have to play multiple times. Even male and female characters get some different quests! Different races have different results. Dumb characters have different dialogue options. For it's time, it was phenomenal. In gameplay sense, it's still comparable if not better than many modern games!

It's steampunk done right!

AD