Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Game nuking Internet connection

I play Star Trek Online and recently i have been noticing a of lag in the game where it becomes unplayable.

So yesterday i had this happen and the only thing i could do ingame was just quit the game. After quitting the game i checked my online speed and noticed my ping was 38ms my speed was down to 2.13mb/s ,usual is about just under 12mb/s.

But after 5mins the speed returned to normal ,thinking it must have been on the actual copper line. So Last night i was playing STO again and it happened again ,same results after low speed high ping.

So why does this happen? Its almost like a DDOS attack from the game servers.

Edited by codecreeper

Nope. Unrelated unlucky timing.

ADSL2 can adjust speed based on how many errors it sees.

On slow, unimportant TCP traffic (like web browsing) it probably never sees much throughput.

On High speed, low latency UDP traffic, like while gaming, it probably gets fairly hammered.

THAT change however, is pretty significant.

It could be a modem fault (if its close to 3 years old they often start to get flakey; they run at 100% usage all the time remember)

What is your modem\router?

If you're lucky enough to have a Billion (or any broadcom modem) you can adjust the SignalNoiseRatio limit a bit lower.

Meaning you might sync at 10Mbps instead of 12Mbps, but it'll be a stable 10 rather than an unstable 12.

If you're not lucky enough to had a broadcom Modem; look for SRA (seamless rate adaption) and turn it off, this is what could be altering your speed.

ADSL1 profile is also VERY stable, and usually faster (lower ping) for gaming (just max speed limited at 8Mbps) So you might want to, Like me, Run your ADSL2+ by lying to your modem that its ADSL1 (G.dmt, or G.992.1)

Also, 38ms is a good ping.

Just seems too much of a coincidence that it happens when playing STO ,and now i notice it after bad lag sessions in the game.

My Modem/Router is Billion GRA7300 about 3-4 years old now. Seems very stable outside this game even downloads are nice and fast.

yep, but downloading and surfing is VERY different load to gaming. Could easily be taxing the modem when it's that old.

For starters just find the SRA option and turn that off.

If you sync at closer to 8Mbps more often, switch to ADSL1 mode.

Was just reading patch notes for a patch to be deployed tomorrow. Looks like you log in too game servers with Lag created by servers.

Normally i sync at 10.97 or 12mb/s depending on type of day. I could sync higher but i let sit at a lower sync for stability. Being on a Agile port too.

Will have to wait and see if it changes after patching tomorrow.

I try not to upset my modem setting as if i loses sync its like the end of me ,with no access to phone it makes it harder for me.

a game can't cause your modem to change sync speed (assuming you're running a speedtest in a browser for these numbers?)

The most it can do is stress it and cause it to error out and crash or start to drop sync.

What do you mean?

I try not to upset my modem setting

It's clearly already upset, its dropping sync speed.

Besides, if it doesnt work, switch it back.

After it patched it seemed the problem has gone ,but what is also strange the pathway between my exchange and another was shutdown for 15mins on Saturday. Seems like a fault developed in the Agile Servers this is what was on the Internode faults board.

Everything seems faster now even my in game patching is a lot faster from 1.38megs/s up too 1.75megs/s.