Sign in to follow this  
Cybes

CHIP - Raspberry Pi successor?

http://www.geek.com/chips/chip-is-a-computer-that-costs-9-1622376/

Think the $35 Raspberry Pi 2 is overpriced? Then perhaps youd be interested in a computer that costs just $9.

Thats it up at the top of the page. Its creators call it CHIP, and it really is a $9 computer. Its got a 1GHz processor, 512MB of RAM, and 4GB of onboard storage. CHIP also has built-in Wi-Fi to make network connections and Bluetooth to connect cordless peripherals, all for less than the price of a crappy USB keyboard.

Technically CHIP might be a dev board, but it can run a full Linux desktop and do everything that a normal computer does. Its small size (2.3 inches by 1.5 inches) certainly makes it a good fit for maker projects, but anyone could hook up power, run a video cable to a display, and surf with Chromium, chat in Pidgin, or watch videos in VLC using CHIP just like on a regular PC.

Just a heads-up for the raging hardware geeks hereabouts. :)

I'm not sure how fair it is to compare it to a Pi, given that for 9 dollars you get the basic board which only provides composite video output. To get vga or hdmi you need one of the addon board that drives the price up to 20ish dollars. I'm also yet to see anything about the cpu being multicore. On the other hand you get wifi and bluetooth and a little bit of storage built in to the board, as well as battery charging hardware, features I wish my RasPis had.

I'd still buy a Pi over one of these, but I'd buy five of these before I bought another Arduino Yun.