Sign in to follow this  
slayme1974

Client-sever Peer to Peer

Hi,Please don't laugh at me cos I am a self confessed netwok noob. Is it possible to run some computers on a domain conected to a domain controler and some more computers connected to the same router on the same physical network to a workgroup?

I don't need the domain and the workgroup to be able to comunicate with each other I just want to be able to have a server serving my network and if a friend/family come over be able to use my internet on their laptop. Also would I need client licenses for the computers on the workgroup?

Yes to both.

Can I ask why you need a Domain though?

A domain suggests one master computer telling the others how they can perform.

Most people just use workgroups all round.

So yes, Windows Server is a couple of grand. Then a bit more for Client Licences, but yes, anyone else who plugs into your router will still be able to get online.

Honestly re-think this plan though, are you familiar with Active Directory? ICS? CAL?

If not, a domain is just a painful experience to have to run at home.

If you're happy to share what you hope to acomplish, we're probably quite able to help with the how :)

I'm currently studying IT and I though it would be good practice to set up a client-server network. I have some knowledge of ad,cs and cal but not extensive.

I know my best friend has a Mac server but he has much more kn owledge of networking than I do.

I was thinking of using an old computer of mine as a domain controler.I don't think I'll need anything fancy as I only have 4 clients. I don;t need a dns server as dns is already provided by my Isp.

Also does 1 quad core i7 count as 1 cpu or 4 for licensing purposes.

one CPU.

Yeah sounds like a fun project.

Now, it's been a good 6 years since I've done this, but I believe Microsoft offer a 180day trial 'windows server' download, where you're free to use it, without CAL's for the sake of education\evaluation.

That will give you the experience you want, and then you can go back to workgroups, without the few thousand dollars cost.

Yep, they sure do

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials

I dont THINK it needs CAL's, that'd be wierd if it did. Even if it did... I wouldn't :P not for a trial.

I don;t need a dns server as dns is already provided by my Isp.

If you're running a domain, you must have a DNS server.

DNS is a big part of Active Directory.

But that's OK, because in the DNS settings you just configure your ISP's DNS server as a forwarder, and use a ".local" suffix for your internal domain.

What i meant was I don't need to have my own dns server I can just use my ISP's dns server rather than using my own dns server. Sorry about that I should have been more precise!

What i meant was I don't need to have my own dns server I can just use my ISP's dns server rather than using my own dns server. Sorry about that I should have been more precise!

I know what you meant.

Yes, you do need to have your own DNS server, if you want to run an AD domain.