Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Window 10 AV included

Was reading a webpage that reviews Virus Checkers and they mentioned that Windows 10 has a inbuilt Virus Checker ,cannot find anything on this yet.

Anyhow they reviewed other Virus checkers and still say Avast is the best ,looks like AVG is still slipping down the slope on features for the Free Version.

Back to Windows 10 Virus Checker will this be like ones in earlier versions ? Where you buy upgrade packs.

No, I expect it'll be identical to the one they had in Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

First we had Malware checking included; the 'Malicious Software Removal Tool', it was an 'important' windows update, so 90% of people got this. 2005 was its release.

'Windows Defender' as we know it by in 7\8 proectes against known nasties, but makes no guesses using Heuristics or anything like that. Its certainly still virus protection though.

And the other, which is a free download 'Microsoft Security Essentials', is a real time virus scanner with Heuristics, Microsoft bought from another company and labeled their own, offering it free to everyone. That was in 2009 (and continues to this day).

I dont see why they'd suddenly want you to BUY something they've offered for free since 2005.

• Like 2

So you update it like a normal AV checker then in Windows Upgrades.

As far as the BUY option i thought you paid for these updates ,or must be confused with another AV package. Old Age is getting to me.

Yeah there is no 'BUY' option.

It's always been free, from microsoft.

Windows Defender and Malicious Removal Tool has been included and totally free since 2005.

If you have windows updates on, you have virus protection. Its just invisible, its a windows service.

If you want to see it, open RUN (windows key + R) and type SERVICES.MSC

Scroll down, and you'll see the Windows Defender service running.

The one that uses Heuristics, Microsoft Secuity Essentials, is totally free in every way, and was purchased by MS in 2009

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

It's nothing new, its been there since 2005 in various forms.

The first 2 update with windows update, and the last one (MSE) updates like a normal antivirus, has a try icon, lets you do scans, etc.

For quite a few years it was actually undeniably the best! It's still pretty high up on the list of good antiviruses these days. Like, 3rd or something?

All that's happened, is you've just found a source of information about Windows 10, who is 'listing features' as if they're new, for the sake of an article.

If I recall correctly, Microsoft Security Essentials was bundled into Windows 8 and later as Windows Defender, replacing the old Windows Defender seen in previous versions of Windows. Windows 10 includes Defender

• Like 1

I'll go out on a limb and say you really dont need to purchase an AV for the current and future OS. I've been MSE for years now without any major concern, had 1 little incident but no biggy. I was a reseller for AVG but ditched it when MSE came.....and ofcourse AVG started it's downward spiral.

I'm still an Avira user.

used to be AVAST untill it started getting 'add-on-ee' and over complicated.

Really? I was just sick of popups, and with our own PCTA software store offering a 3PC licence for Avira for $20, how could I say no?

• Like 1

I'm still an Avira user.

used to be AVAST untill it started getting 'add-on-ee' and over complicated.

Really? I was just sick of popups, and with our own PCTA software store offering a 3PC licence for Avira for $20, how could I say no?

Avira seems to always get good reviews the only bug known is its a memory hog when doing scans.

I always use Bitdefender for my AV.

As for paid AV. MS did offer one but it was for corporate environments. OneCare was its name.

Logan Booker on lifehacker says that Security Essentials is "lagging behind other options — including free ones" (http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/07/microsoft-comes-last-in-latest-enterprise-antivirus-and-security-tests/) but in true Gawker style there are no numbers to back up the claim and the link doesn't go to anything relevant. Multiple clicks eventually yields an article from 2012. Does anyone know where I could see some research comparing the free AV offerings properly?