Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Guild Wars - 10 Years Old

Was reading the Guild Wars 2 FB page and it was mentioned that GW1 is now 10 years old.

This game is as old as World of Warcraft and still going stronger ,even Guild Wars 2 is Growing with a new expansion soon to be released called "Heart of Thorns"

I usually think of Guild Wars as a game for thinkers and the casual player ,unlike WoW and other MMO's.

I refuse to play any other MMO besides GW2. I always ask myself why would I play anything else when I have GW2?

How the time flies. Even FF XI has made it's 13th year and swansong expansion. Yet everything else these days lasts six months, goes F2P and collapses another year later.

I'm almost tempted to install and log back in just to open some birthday presents, but I'm 99% sure that wouldn't get me to the next title track in GW2. Pity Heart of Thorns doesn't really seem to be addressing the issues with WvWvW or my poor Necro. :(

After all these years it seems ANET is now going to force players to use Authentication when logging in too their accounts. Players can use SMS or Google Authentication.

Still playing GW2 and just upgraded to the HoT expansion now makes regret paying for it, if they adapt to these Authentication methods. I left WoW as i felt it awkard to use an Authenticator on their system. Also not having a mobile phone as i am deaf is now becoming a pain in the ass if i want to play games now.

Anyhow i feel kind of upset that games are now using SMS as Authenticators.

As annoying as authenticators are (I have a token for both Blizzard and SquareEnix) after having a my WoW account and a email address comprisied many years ago it's just something thats become sort of routine and somewhat comforting to be honest. The SMS crap can get stuffed though.

I sort of regret my HoT pre-purchase too, albiet for differing reasons. After a month back in the game it sort of just became routine to log back in for dailies and a fractal. Then after the whole world boss fiasco it moved onto daily PvP acheivments and now its just logging in to open the bag of crap and back out. Still playing XIV beside it probably didn't help it either since its simply a hand down better game for content and frequent content updates. I want to PvP but WvWvW is just zergs running around badly designed maps doing player vs door still and structured is just pandering to same dev favourite classes as they do in PvE. The Revenant just feels like some bizare amaglamation of Necro mechanics they refuse to fix on the Necro and tank and healer archetypes which the entire game was designed around not having....

I am finding Guild Wars 1 more rewarding than GW2 lately. Even bought the Eye of the North Expansion yesterday ,may even get the Nightfall and the other one.

The Authenticators kind of make you feel awkward ,even though legally these companies own all the property created by the program through Intellectual property rights. So why should we protect their property when they should be protecting our accounts by proper programming.

I am finding Guild Wars 1 more rewarding than GW2 lately. Even bought the Eye of the North Expansion yesterday ,may even get the Nightfall and the other one.

The Authenticators kind of make you feel awkward ,even though legally these companies own all the property created by the program through Intellectual property rights. So why should we protect their property when they should be protecting our accounts by proper programming.

Wait, what? How is any programing on their part going to stop people from using the same passwords, comprimisied email accounts or virus/malware ridden computers?

Wait, what? How is any programing on their part going to stop people from using the same passwords, comprimisied email accounts or virus/malware ridden computers?

They change the GW2 login sequence like in GW1 that would help a lot.

Gone back to playing GW1 for a bit. So many players returning since they re-opened the Hall of Monuments.

With next weekend the 7th of August being the First FULL Beta test for the HoT expansion ,it could be getting busier in GW1. For getting extra armor and such through points.

First HoT Beta Weekend ,already tried the new class Ravenant and even made a new Necros with Specializations. Seems strange to me ,have no idea how to play these classes properly. As i have a necro pre-Hot it seems awkward the new skills are making it harder to play.

Think i might sit it out and wait for Final Release so i can learn to play the skills properly.

HoT was released Last night and i patched it ,patch was 3.5gigs and took just over 2 1/2 hours to patch.

Playing it seems like a new game. Even the new areas are strange ,with new systems in place its so grindy.

After 1 hour of grinding i opened my Glider mastery ,so fun. But still in early days.