TazDCassar

To download Windows 10 or keep Windows 8.1?

Not sure if I should download Windows 10 when it comes out. As I am quite happy with Windows 8.1. Should I cancel the reservation? What do you guys think? As I like the setup I have now as I used Classic Shell to set up the start menu as Windows 7 (I think) Thanks.

I am keeping Windows 7 for various reasons. One main thing that has me worried that its compulsory that you download all updates when MS says so.

If this is so ,will they stop all competition too in software on Windows 10 such as browsers and viewers and other programs.

As i have heard some games are unstable in WIndows 10 ,just a rumour has i have not seen anything yet.

Edited by codecreeper
  • Like 1

I am keeping Windows 7 for various reasons. One main thing that has me worried that its compulsory that you download all updates when MS says so.

If this is so ,will they stop all competition too in software on Windows 10 such as browsers and viewers and other programs.

As i have heard some games are unstable in WIndows 10 ,just a rumour has i have not seen anything yet.

1. If compulsory updates mean ones marked 'important', then FINALLY. stop the noobs not patching known vulerabilities. it its for 'optional' patches, then thats retarded. Not everyone has enough internet allowance.

2. No, thats called Monopolising and is illegal. It would also cripple their business partners.

3. So long as they're done through steam, the instability will be patched out quick smart. How long did it take them to stabilise SteamOS (aka. Custom Ubuntu)? a week, if that.

I'll upgrade to Windows 10 a few weeks/months after it's released. However, I DO NOT want to do it through Windows Update; I'd sooner install a fresh copy of Windows 10. Even now it's annoying having to install Windows 8 and then upgrade to Windows 8.1 (Windows 8 keys can't be used on a fresh 8.1 install)

I'm also unsure what happens to my old Windows 7/8 keys once I do this upgrade

Edited by nobody813

I am going to be getting it as soon as it comes out. I have the technical preview running in a VM and it's rather nice.

Still no invite on my desktop. Might have to do a fresh reinstall in a month or so : \

Since re-activating my 8.1 install on essentially a new PC, there are a few updates it just errors out on. I assume it's one of those.

Run a 'chkdsk C:' and make sure there's no fs issues.

Run 'dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth' restart and check updates and try again.

Essentially:

C:\>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

C:\>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 14098

The component store has been corrupted.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab runs and says it has fixed things but essentially it just means that windows update sits there forever doing pretty much sfa.

Edited by Nich...

Still no invite on my desktop. Might have to do a fresh reinstall in a month or so : \

That sucks, it's a frustrating pita and possibly waste of time trying to repair from here. Better off spending your time drinking beer or the many other joys of life. Unless you enjoy it.

• Like 2

Essentially:

C:\>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
C:\>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 14098

The component store has been corrupted.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab runs and says it has fixed things but essentially it just means that windows update sits there forever doing pretty much sfa.

What about renaming the current Component Cache file to .old? Then redo do your updates - I know that sounds annoying. I can't remember how I fixed updating problems for a client a while back, but it took some digging through the internet to find the information I needed.

I wasn't aware it was a defined file or folder that could be renamed.

Non-issue now, tho', I installed the win10pro preview.

Yeah won't be going for W10 until they unfuck the updates. I want to choose what does and doesn't get updated thanks.

• Like 1

didnt get windows 8 and will not be getting windows 10 ,happy with how i have windows 7 setup seems smooth as for now.

Yeah been running 10 since it came out. It's OK but I'm not seeing anything better than 7 for my own day to day use. The auto updates has fucked a few of my customers who have low monthly quota plans. Once I turned off all the spying and ran a VBS to uninstall a lot of MS bloatware. :)

(Windows 8 keys can't be used on a fresh 8.1 install

Not true. I installed 8.1 fresh with an original 8 key just recently.

(Windows 8 keys can't be used on a fresh 8.1 install

Not true. I installed 8.1 fresh with an original 8 key just recently.

Never worked for me :-/

Though I do have Windows 8 Upgrade, not OEM or Full Install