Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

AMD Zen

I'm erring on the caution here since this is a brand new core, essentially what Bulldozer was. Sure, Keller is back but he's not a genius that can change things in an instant. It'll probably be the second gen Zen that would tell how good this core is.

• Like 2

for all the promises of next gen bulldozer not really delivering i think the first chip can be the most telling

erring on the caution is wise though with all the cuts amd has been making

moving to a new process will likely set them back even if there isnt other problems so when this does finally get here it will probably be competing against 10nm cannonlake if there very lucky

Edited by Dasa

New core plus DX12 driver improvements sound promising, but, er, wait and see I guess.

Very interesting, thank you Dasa.

It's good to see that interest in AMD hasn't perished in my absence. My only concern here is whether or not AM4 is backwards compatible with AM3+, so that I can chuck one of these bad boys in my system. I never did upgrade to Bulldozer/Piledriver, but I need to upgrade soon at some point; This little old carbureted dual core is well behind in puff.

But I'm not terribly interested in performance these days. My interest in games and technology has waned. These days I just want something reasonably fast, cheap, quiet, and efficient. Hopefully a mid range Zen will be just the ticket for me.

Carrizo should've happened a long time ago imo. Shame they left all the optimising stuff to the last iteration of Bulldozer.

It should be a fitting send off though.

Onwards to Zen!

http://wccftech.com/amd-am4-socket-zen-bristol-bridge-soc-package-pictured/

Pictures are out of AMD's new socket. It's expected to start popping up in retailers in October. So maybe November, or December for us. (hopefully)

The latest APU's to be running off the old Excavator cores is going to slot into these... with he flagship Summit Ridge to debut at CES in January 2017. Then we will know what AMD has given us exactly.

AMD's new CPU performs quite well apparently, but I think they are still a generation from catching Intel

https://youtu.be/oQS8s7TOXsE

Edited by SceptreCore

I suspect zen will power the next PlayStation (not the ps4 pro) and even project Scorpio from Microsoft.

If they could come near matching a -1 or -2 generation i7 for per-core throughput and run 4 GHz+ stock and reasonably cool and at a cheap price then they've done well.

On paper the AMD seems amazing value for money until (for the current lot at least) you sit down and look at the benchmark results.

If they can get out true 6 and 8-core CPUs under $300 then it should generate plenty of customers.

If they could come near matching a -1 or -2 generation i7 for per-core throughput and run 4 GHz+ stock and reasonably cool and at a cheap price then they've done well.

On paper the AMD seems amazing value for money until (for the current lot at least) you sit down and look at the benchmark results.

If they can get out true 6 and 8-core CPUs under $300 then it should generate plenty of customers.

Yeah.... I don't think we're going to see parity between them. But I think that AMD will at least be worth mentioning again in the hardware specs of decent rigs.

It will be interesting to see where they end up being priced.

Very interesting, thank you Dasa.

It's good to see that interest in AMD hasn't perished in my absence. My only concern here is whether or not AM4 is backwards compatible with AM3+, so that I can chuck one of these bad boys in my system. I never did upgrade to Bulldozer/Piledriver, but I need to upgrade soon at some point; This little old carbureted dual core is well behind in puff.

But I'm not terribly interested in performance these days. My interest in games and technology has waned. These days I just want something reasonably fast, cheap, quiet, and efficient. Hopefully a mid range Zen will be just the ticket for me.

Id bet NOT compatible.

I'd also bet $60 motherboards like usual :P so no real drama there lol.

The microarchitecture is supposedly a ground-up redesign, and uses Socket AM4 which is upcoming, supports DDR4 and supposedly even previous coolers are incompatible but some will be able to use upgrade kits.

The microarchitecture is supposedly a ground-up redesign, and uses Socket AM4 which is upcoming, supports DDR4 and supposedly even previous coolers are incompatible but some will be able to use upgrade kits.

Oh that last bit sucks, AMD coolers have long been best.

Intel push pins can die.

Pin count increases from 940 to 1331.

AM3+ based on a 31*31 grid. I guess AM4 would be 37*37 giving a theoretical max pin count of 1369 which if the pin pitch is the same would make the physical package size somewhat bigger.

AM3+ based on a 31*31 grid. I guess AM4 would be 37*37 giving a theoretical max pin count of 1369 which if the pin pitch is the same would make the physical package size somewhat bigger.

You've used AMD heatsink though yeah?

They're usually flat.

You could go to like 70X70 and still be fine :P

and the clips for the heatsink 'angle', and uaually have about 10mm more than they need off the sides.

I think they could have kept it compatible honestly....

Yeah, I thought of that. My suspicion is they've probably redefined surrounding component clearances and possibly made the overall mounting area bigger.

And you never know, they might do away with heatspreaders or the motherboard to top of CPU distance might be changing.

It's amazing compared to mother of all CPUs, Intel 4004 with it's ... 16 pins (image is a clone of 4004)

220px-KL_National_INS4004.jpg

Edited by Jeruselem

If they can do ICP in the region within 10% of Intel CPUs and at the 30-40% price advantage you'd tend to expect then I'll get excited.

I think I said it elsewhere - They need another Thunderbird, maybe this is it.

Edited by Rybags

Pricing is the key, if they overpriced it you're not going to get switchers aa you need a new motherboard as well

Intel have had 4 socket changes in 7 years for their mainstream desktop CPUs. It's just about to the point where people are used to getting shafted in that regard.

• Like 1

I DL'd their Blender benchmark, started it and endured 50 seconds of fairly yawnworthy drawing then walked away for a minute only to return to a crashed application.

Anyone hear anymore about release date or benchmarks? Cant find anything new and my MB just died, I really want to hold out for red camp if its close....