Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

AMD Zen

Uh Oh

FreeBSD Programmers Report Ryzen SMT Bug That Hangs Or Resets Machines

That's not good! Especially for enterprise application.

Could be bad written code in that benchmarking app but ... you can't exactly say there isn't an issue either

Turns out there is a bug, AMD has confirmed it. So there's likely a fix in the works.

Fortunately it doesn't effect Threadripper or Epyc. Especially Epyc, as they are the chips that will likely find their way into big linux and unix servers.

So another BIOS patch for Ryzen users ...

Maybe... or possibly a patch for linux?

Also... tomorrow is the end of the Threadripper embargo. Are we all excited?

Also... I'm please about these results:

• Like 1

Impressive but you'd expected 16 core CPU to beat a 10 core one. I want to see what the 1950x does against the Intel i9 7980xe

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/08/intel-i9-7980xe-launch-date-price/

Yeah... but we're also talking price vs performance.

I too would like to see those scores. At the moment I'm trying to track down Xeon 6150 benchmarks... as that is essentially the closest match to the i9-7980XE

Just in pure arithmetic, the RT 1950X is doing battle with Xeon CPU's with 50% more cores

http://ranker.sisoftware.net/top_run.php?q=c2ffcfe984e9d4e4c2b08dbd9bf2cffed8b08dbd9be3deeec8adc8f5c5e390ad9d&l=en

Is there a particular link or site or source you guys would recommend, that succinctly covers the differences between the Zen CPUs and Intel ones, showing rankings based on price, speed, power usage, etc?

The last I remember reading, BIOS issues were still plaguing the AM4 boards, but that was a couple of months ago, and all the big site reviews with page names I'd expect to look over, are from up to 6 months ago now.

I'm more interested in desktop stuff, and all the new excitement is basically about TR and both AMD and Intel CPUs with more cores than I actually care about.

We desperately need a new Tom's Hardware guide series of charts. Last CPU one was 2015. I've found them very useful - you can guage whether an upgrade is worthwhile and even if the exact model you're concerned with isn't there, you can usually find a very near equivalent and take it as being near enough to expectations.

Is there a particular link or site or source you guys would recommend, that succinctly covers the differences between the Zen CPUs and Intel ones, showing rankings based on price, speed, power usage, etc?

The last I remember reading, BIOS issues were still plaguing the AM4 boards, but that was a couple of months ago, and all the big site reviews with page names I'd expect to look over, are from up to 6 months ago now.

I'm more interested in desktop stuff, and all the new excitement is basically about TR and both AMD and Intel CPUs with more cores than I actually care about.

We desperately need a new Tom's Hardware guide series of charts. Last CPU one was 2015. I've found them very useful - you can guage whether an upgrade is worthwhile and even if the exact model you're concerned with isn't there, you can usually find a very near equivalent and take it as being near enough to expectations.

Whenever Anandtech does a CPU review they usually cover all of that in their reviews with a good smattering of CPU's. I do however do get a bit niggled with some of the things they test.. but never mind. that's just me.

Hardware reviews are now more than ever mostly done on YouTube. and it's not a bad way to have them done, some have even done look back videos on the architectures and what not. You can always bet that someone has made a video about, and you can search till your hearts content or whenever the cows come home.

That aside, I like to watch Steve from Hardware unboxed, he has lots of great videos (they're a bit long.. but you can always skip to the bits you want)... and if you have a half hour to spare, check out AMD Threadripper dominating Intel Core i9

Yep.. official benchmarks of AMD being a true competitor once again.

ugh. I prefer to read, and not have to dig around for headphones and a quiet half an hour.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700U and Ryzen 5 2500U GFXBench benchmarks have surfaced. Ive compared the i7 7700T to the Ryzen 7 2700U

Unfortunately.. I don't know what these numbers indicate as I've never heard of GFXBench before.

https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?benchmark=gfx40&did1=53156431&os1=Windows&api1=gl&hwtype1=iGPU&hwname1=AMD+15DD+Graphics&D2=Intel%28R%29+Core%28TM%29+i7-7700T+CPU+with+HD+Graphics+630

Downloaded and installed, running now...

OK, 17 Meg DL then run after install and it's dragging down another 288 Meg. Thought it was too skinny to be true.

If you saw my other thread, you'd be surprised how well a Ryzen 1500x ended up running.

I don't have numbers on me, but initial benchmarks showed this chip, which was about $200 flat, thanks to MSY's "system sale", was beating out Intel CPU's at almost 50% more cost.

I'm sure it's been covered in this thread, but for the late comers I'll just repeat :)

The people who are unimpressed with Ryzen, are the people are are comparing like for like; which is simply not necessary here.

An Intel Quad Core, with 8 threads, at 3.7Ghz, does indeed score better than a Ryzen 1500x (which also turbos to about 3.7, and has 4 core and 8 threads)

The reason it's impressive, is that when you start comparing dollar to dollar, You can actually match that Intel chip, with a 6 core 12 thread Ryzen CPU, and suddenly look who's on top!.

Add on the fact that all of Ryzen can overclock. And for people doing home servers, all of Ryzen can do ECC ram, and damn you have a winner.

I'm really quite impressed with these things.

And anyone who wants to join me for some self loving, encouraged by AMD's answer to heatsink retention, after having to deal for so many years with Intel Push Pins, the tissues are over there.

Downloaded and installed, running now...

OK, 17 Meg DL then run after install and it's dragging down another 288 Meg. Thought it was too skinny to be true.

I'll see what my Intel i7 6700 does with that benchmark.

I just ran it while watching a TV show, from what I saw it seems a bit simplistic. Think 3DMark 2003 type stuff.

But it is multi-platform and supposed to also run on low end phones and tablets.

Edited by Rybags

I just ran it while watching a TV show, from what I saw it seems a bit simplistic. Think 3DMark 2003 type stuff.

But it is multi-platform and supposed to also run on low end phones and tablets.

I don't think it tells us anything right now.

And anyone who wants to join me for some self loving, the tissues are over there.

No Thanks...

I ran it but I hsd a gtx1070 and couldn't switch to the internal gpu.

Gtx1070 had little struggle with it.

AMD Outlines Threadripper And EPYC's MCM Advantage, Claims 41% Cost Reduction

Also... Intel doing what they called AMD out for: "Intel would also point out that it is developing other technologies such as Embedded Multi-Die Interconnect Bridges (EMIB) to assist in equipping chip with high-speed fabric or glue-logic."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11722/intel-reveals-ice-lake-core-architecture-10nm-plus

Edited by SceptreCore