Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

AMD Zen

So will AMD honour warranty if your mobo fries your cpu?

I believe the onus is on Gigabyte... not AMD

AMD is doing well in Germany it would seem. I think we all know that an AMD with cash is good for all of us.

1504354125_svzbt93.jpg

AMD has overtaken sales at Germany's biggest component e-tailer

Edited by SceptreCore

7700K is still a huge seller for Intel. I have a 6700 at work and it handles everything I throw at it.

• Like 1

I will never run Gigabyte boards. Never, NEVER.

So a few years back, from different shops, I had a 70%+ DOA rate.

With probably 10% of the 'successful' boards needing a warranty within 2 years. (this was Core2Duo days)

Fast forward to Socket 1155, and I have more than one of their boards that bricks when you enter the BIOS.

No shit, flash the BIOS, PC boots fine.

Enter the bios, and then reboot (even if you discard changes) and all SATA breaks.

The only way to get SATA working, is reflash the BIOS. Version makes no difference (tried BETA and Stable)

Fat good of use having a K chip is, when you can't enter the BIOS to tune it.

My Gigabyte A3+ AMD board, with ECC ram, DOESN'T present an ECC menu, unlike the ASUS and Asrock.

And now 1.7v on Ryzen?!

Have they made ANYTHING good, besides GPU's in the last 10 years?!?

• Like 1

I haven't had issues with my gigabyte gear.

I have helped a friend build a recent Ryzen build and they had to DOA/RMA their ASRock board because the NIC didn't work. The NIC, of all things.

I have helped a friend build a recent Ryzen build and they had to DOA/RMA their ASRock board because the NIC didn't work. The NIC, of all things.

While it's possible, this is actually a little caveat of Windows....

Asrock uses a VERY specific NIC on their boards, Windows10 installs a driver by default which will send packets, monitor connection status, and receive I'd guestimate about 1 in 10 packets?

Will even show "Internet" connectivity, but NOTHING will actually work.

With all Asrock boards of late, with windows 10, you HAVE TO manually "Update Drivers" from device manager, because even if you install them manually using the driver CD, windows still thinks it's drivers are "newer". and will replace them.

Then again.... he could have a faulty NIC..... *shrug*

It happens :(

Edited by Master_Scythe

It's hard to update drivers for the NIC when there's no optical drive :D

His replacement board was the exact same model of ASRock, and it worked without a hitch (once he remembered to seat the RAM properly, anyway).

It's hard to update drivers for the NIC when there's no optical drive :D

His replacement board was the exact same model of ASRock, and it worked without a hitch (once he remembered to seat the RAM properly, anyway).

OK, so faulty NIC, but keep that in mind. Asrock\AM4 in general boards + Windows10 = tricky NIC drivers.

You know I actually did the same thing? I think RAM is getting harder to seat :P

I've started actually spraying a Q-Tip with silicone spray, and wiping down all pins before I insert them now, to keep them from oxidising, and to ease 'slide'.

Works wonders!

I will never run Gigabyte boards. Never, NEVER.

So a few years back, from different shops, I had a 70%+ DOA rate.

With probably 10% of the 'successful' boards needing a warranty within 2 years. (this was Core2Duo days)

Same! I remember working in the shop building a custom PC for a client. We had to RMA a top of the line X58 mobo THREE times!!!

Since then I've never used/recommended a Gigabyte board. I've also had weird issues with ASUS boards too. While ASRock is a cheaper chinese sub-brand of ASUS... I've never had anything but flawless performance from them.

I love MSI but they've been acting a bit off too lately.

They used to be a budget sub-brand, but ASRock and Asus are separate companies now (and have been for a while, I think)

They used to be a budget sub-brand, but ASRock and Asus are separate companies now (and have been for a while, I think)

IIRC ASRock was never actually involved with Asus in the way people think, but was affiliated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASRock

I believe they were related, In that they were literally "Coming out of the same factory", but I don't think were ever owned by the same company (renting equipment to manufacture, I guess?).

what I'm clumsily trying to say is that once the brand "ASRock" was spoken, I think it was already it's own 'Brand', It was never "ASRock, by ASUS" if you get my drift.

But yeah, ditto SceptreCore, never had one fault, and used HUNDREDS.

• Like 2

IIRC ASRock was never actually involved with Asus in the way people think, but was affiliated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASRock

I believe they were related, In that they were literally "Coming out of the same factory", but I don't think were ever owned by the same company (renting equipment to manufacture, I guess?).

what I'm clumsily trying to say is that once the brand "ASRock" was spoken, I think it was already it's own 'Brand', It was never "ASRock, by ASUS" if you get my drift.

But yeah, ditto SceptreCore, never had one fault, and used HUNDREDS.

This is why I (usually) always do research. I accepted that ASRock was Chinese and not Taiwanese, but they are for a fact Taiwanese. This makes me think better of them for some reason. And of course... also assumed the ASUS connection.

Err... sure.

A good benchmark of part seller prices is the generic 2 TB drives... 17 bucks more than MSY for a Barracuda, no thanks.

Edited by Rybags

I'm not a fan of Joker... I think he's exactly what he calls himself. But in this interview with AMD's desktop CPU marketing manager Don Woligroski, he hints at higher clock speeds and IPC being a target for Zen 2

Start watching from the 5:30 mark