Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

AMD Zen

So you need a new mobo as well now?

To get the best out of it... it seems so. But still backwards compatible

Looking good so far.. I still want to get one not sure though if I will I dont want to get a new MB.... Might wait for next launch and get a new MB too, it sounds like the MBs are getting better all around from that video. Very interesting on the sticks of ram and what they found. I hope they tested a bunch ram and MBs and show that against each other.

So freaking funny at the end about going thru back channels, sounded like he was having fun with that :)

X470 chipset is gonna have a better power setup for the higher clocks as well. There's a shot of an MSI mobo out there with 2 8 pin CPU power plugs.

AMD= Team Red? Nvidia= Green Intel= Blue :)

Keep reading on how 1.5v was used to overclock the 2700x... Ive been running at ~1.4v for 4ghz and didnt want to go much over that. I thought the recommendation was 1.45v for max with custom loop... I might bump it up some more...

• Like 1

ram speeds somebody managed with b die on 2700x

2x8GB 3733Mhz
4x8Gb 3333Mhz
2x16GB 3000Mhz
4x16GB 2666Mhz

AMD= Team Red? Nvidia= Green Intel= Blue :)

Keep reading on how 1.5v was used to overclock the 2700x... Ive been running at ~1.4v for 4ghz and didnt want to go much over that. I thought the recommendation was 1.45v for max with custom loop... I might bump it up some more...

I'm thinking of the good old days when AMD logos and colours were Green!

Also... official reviews should be out soon guys. Maybe even tonight?

• Like 1

Almost seems like if you cannot OC to 4.3 on all cores, then it is not worth it since XRF2 seems to be doing a stellar job and boosts to 4.3. I was reading the techpowerup, and was kinda confused at first. He was able to get 1.4v to 4.2ghz but running stock yielded better results. All in all looks like a good release, just not enough for me to upgrade.

I also read that AMD might have held back the 2800x waiting for Intel to respond, possibly aggressive binned parts.

• Like 1

Almost seems like if you cannot OC to 4.3 on all cores, then it is not worth it since XRF2 seems to be doing a stellar job and boosts to 4.3. I was reading the techpowerup, and was kinda confused at first. He was able to get 1.4v to 4.2ghz but running stock yielded better results. All in all looks like a good release, just not enough for me to upgrade.

I also read that AMD might have held back the 2800x waiting for Intel to respond, possibly aggressive binned parts.

I think they saw what the tech press was saying. 1800X didn't make sense

Posted (edited)

There is no rime or reason to game performance in Anandtech cpu reviews they seem like complete fudge

for example notice how they left out ryzen 1 from rocket league?

1800x 122.63fps

2600 317.22fps

also i tried running my 6700k at the same settings as them in civ6 and ended up with double the fps they get

there intel results are all over the place with 8400 outperforming 8700k

91858.png

91834.png

Edited by Dasa

Posted (edited)

Yeah that's the problem I'm trying to understand. Anandtech is reputable (according to most) and Dr Ian Cutress is also. So... for him to get it so wrong, and so far away from what the rest of the tech press has gotten is really confounding.

As an aside to all of that, I'm happy with the Zen+ results. They got their 10% performance boost which is more than what Intel have done over the recent years.

EDIT: Perhaps because they're only using a GTX1080 and not the Ti... there's a GPU bottleneck and Ryzen is pulling ahead?

Edited by SceptreCore

Posted (edited)

AMD 7nm Zen 2 CPUs Sampling This Year For 2019 Volume Launch

Hot off the heels of launching a new generation of Ryzen processors built on a refined 12-nanometer FinFET manufacturing process (Zen+), AMD is now looking ahead to next year, which is when it will roll out Zen 2. It won't be a paper launch, either—during a recent earnings call with investors, AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su confirmed that AMD is already sampling its 7nm Zen 2 processors and is gearing up for a volume launch in 2019.

"We have a 7nm GPU based on Vega that we'll sample later this year. We have a 7nm server CPU that we'll sample later this year. And then, obviously, we have a number of products that are planned for 2019 as well. So it's a very, very busy product season for us. But we're pleased with the sort of the execution on the product roadmap," Dr. Su said.

This is a different AMD than we're used to seeing. The company is firing on all cylinders and there is genuine excitement over its product launches. As we have said in the past, Zen is a solid foundation for AMD to build upon, and that is exactly what the company is doing.

AMD is hitting multiple market segments, as well. The 7nm Vega GPU that Dr. Su referred to is being used in its Radeon Instinct accelerator for artificial intelligence and machine learning workloads. AMD teased a photo of the card on Twitter, saying it's currently running in the company's labs and is "on track to provide samples to customers later this year."

As for AMD's CPUs, the company anticipates that more customers will buy into its Zen ecosystem as they become more familiar with the brand and accompanying platforms.

"So all of the sales this year will be around the current generation of Ryzen, and so, that gets us to the mid-single-digit share. 7nm Zen 2 based product we'll sample later this year to customers and that will be in production in 2019, and we do believe that the adoption rate of the second-generation could potentially be higher than the adoption rate of the first-generation, mostly because customers will be more familiar with our systems and our products," Dr. Su added.

Dr. Su also pointed to the server market, which AMD is targeting with its Epyc processor line. Adoption is picking up in that space, too—just last week, longtime Intel partner and supercomputing powerhouse Cray added Epyc processor options to one of its high performance computing (HPC) product lines.

Life is good for AMD at the moment, and that is reflected in its most recent earnings report in which the company said it pulled a profit of $81 million on $1.65 billion in revenue last quarter, versus a $19 million loss in the previous quarter and a $33 million loss in the same quarter a year prior. AMD is on solid footing, and as long as it continues to execute on time, it should see more positive quarters.

Read more at https://hothardware.com/

Edited by SceptreCore
  • Like 1

https://segmentnext.com/2018/05/15/globalfoundries-skip-5-nm-amd-zen-5/

While AMD Ryzen 2000 CPUs have rolled out into the market last month but, AMD confirmed before the release of 2nd Gen Ryzen products that it is working on Zen 5 and now it seems that the AMD Zen 5 will be based on 3 nm process instead on 5 nm as GlobalFoundries plans to skip the latter one altogether.

Speaking with EETimes, CEO of GlobalFoundries Tom Caulfield talked about the future of the company and also touched the subject of leaning towards the 3 nm process instead of 5 nm for AMD Zen 5 architecture.

According to Caulfield, he doesn’t think that 5 nm is going to be enough for the company to invest in it and 3 nm process will be required to get “full performance”. However, he didn’t confirm that the company will indeed skip the 5 nm in favor of 3 nm process.

• Like 1

Epyc fail? We can defeat AMD's virtual machine encryption, say boffins

German researchers reckon they have devised a method to thwart the security mechanisms AMD's Epyc server chips use to automatically encrypt virtual machines in memory.

So much so, they said they can exfiltrate plaintext data from an encrypted guest via a hijacked hypervisor and simple HTTP requests to a web server running in a second guest on the same machine.

Epyc fail? We can defeat AMD's virtual machine encryption, say boffins

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/05/29/amd-finally-gets-a-radeon-vega-8-core-ryzen-enthusiast-gaming-notebook/#2235a97461e2

Want a gaming laptop with AMD Ryzen and AMD Vega? Acer Helios 500 with Ryzen 2700 and Vega 56!

There's also an Intel/nVidia version of it.

I already have an Acer Helios 300 so I won't be getting one ...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

https://www.techspot.com/news/74885-four-new-second-gen-ryzen-cpus-surface-motherboard.html

The crew over at The Tech Report recently stumbled across an updated CPU support list for ASRocks AB350M Pro4 motherboard. On it are four new AMD CPUs including the Ryzen 3 2300X with a base clock of 3.5GHz, 2MB of cache and a 65W TDP and the Ryzen 5 2500X with 2MB of cache, a 65W TDP and a base clock of 3.6GHz.

TTR surmises these will likely be quad-core parts based on their L2 cache size.

There are also two energy-efficient models listed, the Ryzen 5 2600E with a 45W TDP, 3MB of cache and a base clock of 3.1GHz as well as a Ryzen 7 2700E at 2.8GHz with 4MB of cache and a 2.8GHz base clock. Again, based on the L2 cache, these will likely be six-core and eight-core components, respectively.

Missing from the equation is the peak clock speeds of these parts. Pricing and availability is also unknown although with Computex just around the bend, the stage is set for AMD to share more information.

They seem like good options. They will perform better than the APU parts without making them redundant. Solid lineup.

The E series though, I wish they would make them bga for laptops/integrated.

Edited by SceptreCore
  • Like 1