Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

AMD Zen

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-fenghuang-ryzen-vega-soc,37551.html

The semi-custom SoC, codenamed Fenghuang, will power Zhongshan Subor's upcoming gaming console and PC. The Fenghuang chip harnesses the power of AMD's Zen processor and Vega graphics processing unit architectures. The SoC features a Ryzen processor with four cores and eight threads running at 3GHz and 24 Vega Compute Units operating at 1.3GHz. An Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) might be the first thing that comes to mind; however, the Fenghuang SoC is quite the opposite. APUs don't come with their own graphics memory, and the Fenghuang chip has 8GB of high-performance GDDR5 memory at its disposal. Jack Huynh also confirmed that the SoC will support the chipmaker's existing and next-generation technologies, such as AMD FreeSync, Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition software and Rapid Packed Math.

On 8/13/2018 at 10:11 AM, Jeruselem said:

Intel have still have the OEM sales, AMD need to start putting Zen into OEM machines as you can't just rely on gamers and uber-system builders. The big money is in the servers though.

AMD are trying. They do have some product wins. Intel seems to be losing focus on OEM sales though in favour of emerging markets I think. Well... that or they are being unusually benevolent. 

10 hours ago, SceptreCore said:

AMD are trying. They do have some product wins. Intel seems to be losing focus on OEM sales though in favour of emerging markets I think. Well... that or they are being unusually benevolent. 

I think for low end office machines and home users who don't know any better, you don't have to do much as long as it's profitable to keep sending out those machines. Changing an entire OEM line from Intel to AMD would require a bit of planning.