This is making me lean a little more towards an AMD focused home server, hmm.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Looks like ESXI now works on Zen without hacking around like you did with other ESXi versions under 6.5

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The more cores you have the harder it gets to push high speeds with them.

The ARM chips seem to deal with this having lower-performance-lower-power cores with some high-performance-high--power cores.

Edited by Jeruselem

Posted (edited)

I'm guessing that's the base clock, so the boost clocks might not be stated as yet. I see it's being put against the Intel Xeon Cascade Lake CPUs, one of newer ones is 48 cores.

Edited by Jeruselem

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

I see it's being put against the Intel Xeon Cascade Lake CPUs, one of newer ones is 48 cores.

Yeah... that's the idea, except AMD thought they'd be taking on ice lake at this point.

Cascade Lake will be a glued-together solution.

AMD SoC Expected to Power Next Xbox, PlayStation Is Seemingly Closer to Production

A qualification sample of the AMD Gonzalo system-on-a-chip (SoC) has been spotted in the wild. A tweet posted today by well-known tech leaker TUM_APISAK pointed to a qualification sample of the chip. AMD Gonzalo, while not officially confirmed by AMD, is said to be the U.S. chipmaker's custom APU (accelerated processing unit) tailored specifically to power the next generation of gaming consoles from Microsoft and Sony.

The first rumored sighting of the AMD Gonzalo SoC was back in January in the form of a engineering sample (ES) carrying the "2G16002CE8JA2_32/10/10_13E9" codename. The processor's microarchitecture was uncertain, as there was no indication whether the SoC was based on AMD's Zen+ or Zen 2 architecture. If you follow Marvin's AMD Condename Decoder, then AMD Gonzalo should have eight physical cores operating at a 1GHz base clock speed and 3.2GHz boost clock. Due to the 13E9 PCIe ID, the SoC is rumored to come with integrated Navi 10 Lite graphics running at 1GHz.

Fast forward to today, and AMD Gonzalo has apparently been spotted in the 3DMark database. However, this time the leaked SoC is a qualification sample (QS) with a different codename, "ZG16702AE8JB2_32/10/18_13F8". This latest development indicates that the AMD Gonzalo SoC is getting closer to the production stage. This could also means that Sony's Playstation 5 and Microsoft's Xbox Scarlett, both expected to run on AMD Gonzalo, could be available sooner than we think.

This new sample is a little different than the one seen in January. For one, the qualification sample reportedly has a 1.6GHz base clock. That's a 600MHz increase in comparison to the engineering sample. Second, the stepping has changed from A2 to B2, which means the SoC is progressing through the development process.

Lastly, the PCIe ID on the qualification sample is 13F8 instead of 13E9. It appears to be another variant of the original Navi 10 Lite graphics card that was spotted in the engineering sample. This qualification sample's iGPU (integrated graphics processing unit) apparently clocks in at 1.8GHz, making it 800MHz faster than the previous engineering sample. If that clock speed is accurate, AMD Gonzalo should be a very capable SoC. With that clock speed, it'll be interesting to see the chip's TDP (thermal design power) rating. Pushing operating clocks up to 1.8GHz could result in it surpassing the limited power envelope of modern gaming consoles. We're keen to know what kind of magic AMD plans on performing to potentially achieve this.

Very Interesting. Couple this with AMD's support in Google's Stadia platform, AMD hardware is going to be very well developed for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Motherboard manufacturers are conspiring to stop people with current boards running the Zen2/Series 3 chips

https://www.techpowerup.com/254634/msi-betrays-amds-socket-am4-longevity-promise-no-zen2-for-300-series

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. AMD has been guaranteeing forwards and backwards compatibility for zen. I wonder if they'll threaten to stop MSI selling AMD supported motherboards? That would be the right move as I see it. 

18 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. AMD has been guaranteeing forwards and backwards compatibility for zen. I wonder if they'll threaten to stop MSI selling AMD supported motherboards? That would be the right move as I see it. 

MSI might be doing an "Intel" on on us or it might be a real thing requiring 16MB instead of 8MB BIOS chips.

7 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

MSI might be doing an "Intel" on on us or it might be a real thing requiring 16MB instead of 8MB BIOS chips.

In this day and age... how hard is it really to expand the BIOS chips sizes though?

But for the boards that have already been made I can see it being a huge headache for motherboard manufacturers. As they will have to remove CPU compatibility from boards that might render them useless to the unsuspecting person using a board chip combo that could be broken by an update. Not a lot of planning was put into this... and I blame AMD.

1 hour ago, SceptreCore said:

In this day and age... how hard is it really to expand the BIOS chips sizes though?

But for the boards that have already been made I can see it being a huge headache for motherboard manufacturers. As they will have to remove CPU compatibility from boards that might render them useless to the unsuspecting person using a board chip combo that could be broken by an update. Not a lot of planning was put into this... and I blame AMD.

AMD aren't known for their good planning ... even with good intentions

It will probably come down to power requirements with the new release.  I get MSI's position but they should at the very least have support for their top end boards with next gen release.  Or, have limited support and updated cpu verifications... Meaning X board will support up to the 8 core new cpu's but maybe not 12 core and their top board might support 12 core but not 16 core, or something like that.  Possibly they could also have support for all with limited core boosts/clocks or disabling new features, like when xfr2 was not available for X370 when 2000 series released.  Asus has already released a bios for upcoming on my board, I believe for X370 too,  it would leave a sour taste in consumers if MSI don't show some support for older gen board if amd is playing that song from the beginning. 

Yea read that makes no sense as maybe some special etching? Lol  Yea you're right unsold 2700x... Maybe binned but it so close to 3000 series release not sure why anyone would go that way

The price on that is bit much given it's only just higher clocked and two extra cores.

Posted (edited)

Well there is already a 2700x, question is what will the do to make this 50th anniversary 2700x special

Edited by gamble

On 4/16/2019 at 7:19 PM, Jeruselem said:

AMD aren't known for their good planning ... even with good intentions

They're ahead of Intel 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, SceptreCore said:

AMD 50th Anniversary Ryzen 7 2700X

I would say these would probably come packed with the highest binned silicon, usually reserved for Epyc. Orders for Epyc must be slowing down now as AMD is set to release the new parts shortly.

Naturally, people want the 3 series Ryzens. They'll need to start dropping prices on the 1 and 2 series get rid of old stock.

Edited by Jeruselem