Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

AMD Zen

54 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Anyone for threadripper 1920x at $300?

Not sure if I'd be buying a CPU if I had USD sitting around, atm.

23 hours ago, Nich... said:

Not sure if I'd be buying a CPU if I had USD sitting around, atm.

yeah you gotta factor in the platform cost. You'd be looking at nearly $1200 bucks for CPU, mobo, and RAM

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

So you need a new motherboard to get benefits anyway ...

No. You need a new motherboard to get new features. But a Zen 2 chip would be a serious upgrade even in an older motherboard

AdoredTV posted another video and a few others have reported that it truly does look like 12 core 5ghz is coming, probably with only a core or two that boosts that high.     

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 5:25 AM, gamble said:

AdoredTV posted another video and a few others have reported that it truly does look like 12 core 5ghz is coming, probably with only a core or two that boosts that high.     

I wonder if all cores are equal or they've done the ARM SOC where not all cores are equal (a mix of lower and higher performance cores)

5 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

I wonder if all cores are equal or they've done the ARM SOC where not all cores are equal (a mix of lower and higher performance cores)

People keep thinking that 5GHz is all core turbo. It won't be. That'd be 2 cores max XFR. All core boost would be much lower. Maybe 4.3?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SceptreCore said:

People keep thinking that 5GHz is all core turbo. It won't be. That'd be 2 cores max XFR. All core boost would be much lower. Maybe 4.3?

I really doubt all 12 cores could hit 5Ghz, the more cores the harder it is to get all cores to such speeds. Getting select cores yes.

Edited by Jeruselem

6 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

I really doubt all 12 cores could hit 5Ghz, the more cores the harder it is to get all cores to such speeds. Getting select cores yes.

Yeah well like I said... it won't be able to do all core 5GHz, not without exotic cooling anyway. 5ghz will just be a single core max frequency

Wonder how the dual chiplet 3900X will perform in games and if there will be latency issues with communication between cores or if the 64MB L3 cache (32\2) will be of benefit.

34 minutes ago, Dasa said:

Wonder how the dual chiplet 3900X will perform in games and if there will be latency issues with communication between cores or if the 64MB L3 cache (32\2) will be of benefit.

If blender is anything to go by, the 3900X beats the 9920X by 18%

If that's real, then 3600 is the best buy unless the 3600x overclocks real well.

7 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

If that's real, then 3600 is the best buy unless the 3600x overclocks real well.

in geekbench, the 6/12 Zen2 is on par or just ahead of a 2700X

1 hour ago, SceptreCore said:

If blender is anything to go by, the 3900X beats the 9920X by 18%

9920X has horrible performance in latency sensitive programs like games so at the same clocks 9900k would probably beat it by ~20%

Cinbench doesn't care about RAM speed so it's likely that the cache and core latency issues Ryzen had are not a big issue for it.

Not sure about blender guess I can take a look.

1 hour ago, Dasa said:

9920X has horrible performance in latency sensitive programs like games so at the same clocks 9900k would probably beat it by ~20%

Cinbench doesn't care about RAM speed so it's likely that the cache and core latency issues Ryzen had are not a big issue for it.

Not sure about blender guess I can take a look.

Well the 3900X has the highest frequency in the product stack, so it seems it's gonna be a goodin'. I would expect greater performance than the 9900K in gaming.

Not knowing the XFR/Precision Boost details is KILLING me.

Wow... check out that I/O shroud. Looks like its a VRM/chipset cooler as well. This would make a very interesting mini PC build.

What's SupremeFX Impact IV? i hope no one intends to drop it. 😜

Posted (edited)

Curious on what will be announced at e3 here soon.  I was targeting the 12 core 5ghz rumour but that might not be released till later and the pricing is higher than expected.  Seems that since amd can match or better Intel in certain price points they are holding back higher clocks and more cores.  I wonder if the price is also affected by on going tariff trade wars.  One more thought on the current announced 12 core is that possibly they left room for OC headroom.  Tdp is interesting on this launch and I wonder how hot they will run. I might have been interested in an 8 core 5ghz if it were announced without latency, but that 12 core cache is crazy.  Possibly the 12 core has latency too and curious on new boost and how it works. 

Edit, looks like 16core coming:  https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-16-core-zen-2-cpu-leak-overclock-benchmarks/amp/

Edited by gamble