Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

AMD Zen

1 hour ago, Dasa said:

Doesn't really bother me that the m.2 slots are on a daughter board because they couldn't fit them on the PCB at least the RAM is still regular DDR4.

It should be one of the best MB for overclocking RAM on Ryzen 3000 is why it has my interest.

Down side is that I will have to drop back to 16GB but I don't really need 32GB anyway.

Up side is that I will have to test each stick individually to see which are the best clockers.

d24hymdbbm331-png.167320

Is that latency acceptable though Dasa?

Don't you just love the dig at Jen Hsun 😆 "It Just Works"

Posted (edited)

Looks like it is similar to Ryzen 2000 which is disappointing and unless the doubling of L3 has a big enough impact or it can be tweaked much lower I think AMD is still going to struggle against Intel.

Small increases to Intels cache make no noticeable difference to game performance and it wasn't until they added a 128MB L4 with 5775c which all cores had access to that we see a huge benefit.

For example if the amount of cache a program needs is around 256MB and you increase cache from 6MB to 128MB as the 5775c did I guess that means you are halving the amount of cache misses that leave the CPU waiting on the RAM but going to 12MB despite being a doubling of cache would make a insignificant difference.

But some games see less benefit from higher RAM speed than others so some games may need far less cache than others and these games may see a huge boost from the doubling of the L3 if it is smart enough in it's selection of what is needed next and the game isn't just to random in nature.

Well that is what makes sense to me anyway I have no education in this so I may be totally wrong.

cache.jpg

Edited by Dasa

What will be favourable to AMD is that because they power the next consoles, game devs are going to optimize the engines for Zen2

• Like 1

The part about L3 going to IO die from Chiplet 1 and 0 hmmm... Gaming might take a hit with two chiplet as it even says that requests could move across chiplets using IO die. 

"There's not much different about the Zen 2 cache hierarchy other than the change to the L1i cache. L1 load/store bandwidth has increased by 2x, with better prefetch throttling. The L3 cache is still a victim cache for L2 data. There are no CCX-to-CCX connections within the Zen 2 architecture -- L3 data requested by Chiplet 1 from Chiplet 0 still moves across the I/O die."

Posted (edited)

Well Gamble, hopefully by working with Microsoft to fix the windows scheduler in Win10 1903, the need for the chiplet to request data from the other will be greatly reduced as one chiplet will get entirely saturated before the other comes into play. (That's if I'm understanding it correctly)

In other news, the I/O die is 12nm, not 14nm as originally planned. Nothing of importance here just FYI. The slides in the link are an interesting read though.

Edited by SceptreCore
  • Thanks 1

I hope so, those improvements in scheduler, IPC gain and higher clocks will/should make it a dam good chip to own.  I love to tinker so hope there's OC headroom and gaming performance is on par or better than Intel at clock to clock. 

• Like 1

I remember Windows and Linux had make changes to the scheduler for the AMD bulldozer CPUs but it made bugger all difference in the end.

On 6/14/2019 at 11:52 AM, Jeruselem said:

I remember Windows and Linux had make changes to the scheduler for the AMD bulldozer CPUs but it made bugger all difference in the end.

thats because Bulldozer was a pile of snot.

A look back at the changes AMD made with Zen vs Zen+ which were focused on the cache and brought anywhere from 0% to 20% gains in CPU performance depending on the software.

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,review-34307-3.html

AMD Measurements L1 Cache Latency , L2 Cache Latency L3, Cache Latency , Memory Latency
Latency Improvements 13% 34% 16% 11%

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9O

It's a good compare, but with the IO die Id be curious on how it will turn out.  Possibly it will be better, at least I hope.  Im seeing rumors floating around with another chipset x590 in the works, as some have found references to this in the bios of some of the upcoming boards. 

1 hour ago, gamble said:

It's a good compare, but with the IO die Id be curious on how it will turn out.  Possibly it will be better, at least I hope.  Im seeing rumors floating around with another chipset x590 in the works, as some have found references to this in the bios of some of the upcoming boards. 

Given the predicted prices of X570 boards, the X590 boards are going to be really expensive.

13 hours ago, SceptreCore said:

Flip! Who has time to go through all that lot!?

I'm sure some AMD boffin will love it

• Like 1

Maybe I'll go for this, kinda was wondering this since only 65w, but man 12core is sounding pretty awesome too:

The Ryzen 7 3700X will be the best choice for avid overclockers, according to AMD’s Travis Kirsch.

“I think the top of the stack, you’re going to be fairly limited initially,” says Kirsch. “You know, with our boost algorithms, we eke out just about everything you can get. So maybe a couple hundred megahertz. With the 65W parts you’ll get a lot more because their specs are run with a lower power. So you can overclock the thing, get all the power of it, and, obviously, you get more headroom out of it.”

3700x might be a great in Gamble's current rig, it's not going get 5Ghz but it will be better.

24 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

it's not going get 5Ghz but it will be better

Do you have a review sample?! 😮

12 hours ago, SceptreCore said:

Do you have a review sample?! 😮

I suspect the motherboard might hold back the new CPU.

From what I read, the performance will be the same on x470 and B450 as the x570.   TDP still the same as 2000 series.  Might have a slight advantage but should be close I hope at least.  It would be interesting to see the same chip used across 3 chipset series to compare performance and OC difference. 

36 minutes ago, gamble said:

From what I read, the performance will be the same on x470 and B450 as the x570.   TDP still the same as 2000 series.  Might have a slight advantage but should be close I hope at least.  It would be interesting to see the same chip used across 3 chipset series to compare performance and OC difference. 

I guess it all comes down bios patch you get for your motherboard and how well they do it.

9 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

I suspect the motherboard might hold back the new CPU.

What makes you think that?