Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

AMD Zen

Posted (edited)

Yea I thought the same thing about that site lol...

I did a compare using Maxx and Aida64 latest version.   I ordered a new ram kit that just came in and will give my old set to my son.  These are suppose to work better with Ryzen and had low timings.  Im hoping I can OC them up a bit, but just installed now and running p95 for the last 45mins.  Below is the best timings I could get on my Corsair kit and could not run them over 3266 without errors.  New kit is set at 3200 but with much better timings.   

Corsair Vengeance CMR-16GX4M2C-3466C16 RGB  (@3266)*  vs.  GSkill Flare X F4-3200C14D-16GFX  (@3200)*

oldvsnew.png

Edited by gamble

Old is on the left in the above.  

Below is at 3466 with 15c timings, still testing stability:

new3466.png

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, SceptreCore said:

Which one is right though? 

Both probably they will just be using different test methods ,

There is a lot of variables that affect a latency reading like package size multithreading and then there is sisoft that starts with small files that fit in the cache then moves up to larger files that don't and provides a average of the lot which is obliviously lower than just the latency of the RAM alone.

gamble

Great results already!

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1

3600 @ 16c 2T was slower than my runs before.  I tried 3533 2T and it was even slower.  Both 3533 and 3600 failed prime95 in about 5mins.  

Below is 3466 with aggressive timings with 1.425v.  I have the 3600 in there just to compare but 3466 seems to be the sweet spot with this ram/cpu.  Possibly, with another cpu it could pass 3600 on the dimms.  No point in loosening the timings more as it would give worse results in my case.  Really happy with this though so far, might try to go a bit lower timings but want to do a long couple of different tests:

3466-14-3600-16.png

Posted (edited)

Don't be afraid to go up to 1.5v for 24\7 use but at that you will want airflow over the RAM while running stability tests to keep it stable.

But there is a good chance that with Ryzen 2k you wont need that much vdimm as the memory controller will be your limit as it is for me on the 6700k.

Nice you made it to 3466c14

To show subs

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-timing-checker/

Are you using the Stilt's timings profile for b die that is in the MB?

I find Gsat much quicker for finding RAM errors than prime95 and HCI for memory controller errors which is built into the Ryzen timing calculator now

https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1628751-official-amd-ryzen-ddr4-24-7-memory-stability-thread.html

Edited by Dasa
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Posted (edited)

I have memtest pro, totally forgot till you mentioned 🙂  

At those timings, I did get a error after 48mins p95.  I bumped the voltage to 1.46v and kept the timings, I should be good now but running more tests with 1hr p95 passed and running memtest now. 

Im using slilt 3200 safe preset in the MB currently and then set to 3466.   I tried some of my own setting but didnt have as much luck.  There is a fast 3200 Id like to try at 3466 if all goes well with this current test. 

Subs:

subs.png

Edit:  Im all stable now with this v and timings.  Ill try to tweak some more in  few days.

Edited by gamble

Best I can get is using Stilts fast preset for 3200 but then running it 3466 @ 1.48v.   

13.png

Interesting they talk about vrms:

22 minutes ago, gamble said:

Best I can get is using Stilts fast preset for 3200 but then running it 3466 @ 1.48v.   

Dam that's tight.

You may be able to get a bit more bandwidth by increasing tREF but if you go to high it will likely become unstable during periods of idle use not during a stress test.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/19708840/fs/19709028/fs/19745255

I get almost 18k in Physics test, probably more if I move my ram back up but moved it to 3200 until I get a new cpu in and tested.  The Combined test probably is mostly gpu based.  Most benches seem to be showing good results. 

PBO with talking to the mb and vrm seems to be for x570 only.  Not sure how OC will work with x470.  

5 minutes ago, gamble said:

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/19708840/fs/19709028/fs/19745255

I get almost 18k in Physics test, probably more if I move my ram back up but moved it to 3200 until I get a new cpu in and tested.  The Combined test probably is mostly gpu based.  Most benches seem to be showing good results. 

PBO with talking to the mb and vrm seems to be for x570 only.  Not sure how OC will work with x470.  

I think the x570 might support higher voltages because it's need for the new chips to reach their full potential.

2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

I think the x570 might support higher voltages because it's need for the new chips to reach their full potential.

These were run on X570... Maybe these submissions don't have the review BIOS

5 minutes ago, SceptreCore said:

These were run on X570... Maybe these submissions don't have the review BIOS

Maybe they are still working on them BIOS updates ...

About the PBO (I think Jeruselem was commenting on this and SceptreCore thought it was about the scores? 🙂 )...  I know some x470 have more than enough vrm and voltage as the chips still have the same tdp.  Possibly, the new chipset has something better to communicate with the cpu. 

Looking at the Physics score it looks good to me.  Doing a quick search against the top 2700x FS Extreme score with a 1x RTX 2080 physics score of 21862, vs 3700x 25011 12.5% vs 3900x 29777 26.5%.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gamble said:

About the PBO (I think Jeruselem was commenting on this and SceptreCore thought it was about the scores? 🙂 )...  I know some x470 have more than enough vrm and voltage as the chips still have the same tdp.  Possibly, the new chipset has something better to communicate with the cpu. 

Looking at the Physics score it looks good to me.  Doing a quick search against the top 2700x FS Extreme score with a 1x RTX 2080 physics score of 21862, vs 3700x 25011 12.5% vs 3900x 29777 26.5%.  

Sorry yes I was thinking it was about the scores. Even so, these are run on beefy X570's, and it doesn't seem that these chips are boosting that high. Surely AMD's advertised boost clocks are tied to their box coolers? (We'll find out Monday.), unless these are best case with aftermarket ones? 🤨

But I believe that AMD is reserving OC capable BIOS for the press only and available with shipping boards on release. In case these get into the hands of people like El Chapuzas.

It's strange how it came out on top of the intel parts on ACO. Those titles are notoriously poorly optimized for Ryzen. Wait and see what the experts say.

9 hours ago, SceptreCore said:

ACO

That game is heavily threaded and AMD does seem to do a bit better with it's multithreading than Intel HT so not that strange but it will be good to see more info and some overclocked results.

15 hours ago, Dasa said:

That game is heavily threaded and AMD does seem to do a bit better with it's multithreading than Intel HT so not that strange but it will be good to see more info and some overclocked results.

Maybe Im confused between Ryzen and Radeon but I could have sworn AMD cpu's don't do well in ACO