Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

AMD Zen

Posted (edited)

Interesting in that first video he explains why memory write speed is half what it was with 2700X at 22:00-23 they have reduced write bandwidth from 32 bit to 16bit as they didn't think it was needed and looking at the benchmarks they are correct.

The inter core latency has dropped a lot which is a big improvement.

So which one are you going with gamble? If I go ahead I think it will be 3700X

Edited by Dasa

Posted (edited)

3700x kind of has my eye, but I'm not sure I'd want to nominally upgrade to something of the same speed but more cores than I have now.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X/2432vs4043

At least it'd be a comparable upgrade vs my last one >.> ( https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-750/2432vs2773 )

Edited by Nich...
fixT
  • Like 1

Both links are 4690k vs 3700x I am guessing you had a different CPU you intended to link there?

Looks like there is no difference between old MB and new ones other than pci-E 4.0 which doesn't do much really and more high speed USB ports.

Reviews have showed higher idle power use with Ryzen 3k I wonder if that is due to X570 and a B450 MB may actually do better in this regard.

Posted (edited)

3700x all the way here for me, had saved budget for the 3900x but not for my needs.  Looking like a darn good upgrade from 2600x.  Gaming looks near the same from 3700x, to 3900x. I can see how it might be hard for some to switch camps but those on AM4 already are probably tempted to upgrade seeimg the latest reviews. OC looks limiting again, curious on memory scaling and the improvements/impact it will have. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/2

Edit: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/2.html

Edited by gamble

Posted (edited)

This review I posted earlier shows 3700X with 3733 RAM and PBO auto is able to beat 9900k at stock with 2666 RAM in most game tests but naturally once you OC the 9900K and bump it's RAM speed back up it retakes the lead although not by as much as you might expect.

https://pclab.pl/art81116-23.html

Also there is a list of reviews here and a quick breakdown of some key details from them.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c9ncvh/3rd_generation_ryzen_reviews_megathread/

Edited by Dasa
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

9 hours ago, Dasa said:

Both links are 4690k vs 3700x I am guessing you had a different CPU you intended to link there?

Curse of late night posting :<

Fixed up the second link.

Those uh prices for the 3 series ryzen look a bit rich for me atm.

I kind of prefer Intel's thinking of not including a HSF for their K parts to keep the price down a little.

1 hour ago, Nich... said:

Curse of late night posting :<

Fixed up the second link.

Those uh prices for the 3 series ryzen look a bit rich for me atm.

I kind of prefer Intel's thinking of not including a HSF for their K parts to keep the price down a little.

I guess most buying a 9900K would be buying a special cooler for it which isn't the crappo Intel one.

I like that pclab link.  Really anything above 1080p it will be even closer.  

I would love to save any amount with a sku without the HSF, even if it is only 10.  These do seem decent but having HSF still is nice for those upgrading really old system and these have RGB lol

I do find it interesting that the 3700x is so close in gaming against the 3900x... 3900x is suppose to clock higher and has more cores but really just a few to maybe 5%.  The 9900k is a beast for sure in gaming but it says something if the 3700x at its price is being compared to it at times.   Then you have the 3900x with crazy workload results for the same price with a cooler if need one 😉 

These clock to clock ipc tests are interesting:  https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_3700x_ryzen_9_3900x_review,9.html

I'm not sure what to think. Perhaps a bit underwhelmed. the hype from before the launch kinda ruined I think. but the IPC is still very impressive. 7nm just still can't clock very high. I think 7nm+ just might have given it the edge it needed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'd like see how the 3950x does against the 9900KS given those are specially binned CPUs.

Edited by Jeruselem

19 hours ago, Dasa said:

Interesting in that first video he explains why memory write speed is half what it was with 2700X at 22:00-23 they have reduced write bandwidth from 32 bit to 16bit as they didn't think it was needed and looking at the benchmarks they are correct.

The inter core latency has dropped a lot which is a big improvement.

So which one are you going with gamble? If I go ahead I think it will be 3700X

It looks like it's the pick of the bunch.

Makes me almost want to upgrade my 2700X just for that single core gaming performance but i know it's probably not worth it as I can just wait for 7nm+. 

Plus apparently on the interwebs, my Gigabye Aorus motherboard is one dodgy and unstable little mofo with poor gigabyte warranty services so i don't want to risk updating chipset and BIOS unless i have to. 

Speaking of which, should I update my AMD chipset drivers to it's latest on my machine even tho i'm not facing any problems? Is it like updating the BIOS where if it's not needed, it may brick your PC? I'm honestly trying to find remedies to why Adobe Premier crashes so much with so many errors consuming all my RAM, not to mention Microsoft office and game not responding issues when on task manager, the system is barely struggling with it at all. 

Besides not being able to OC that great, all in all I feel like this is a great launch.  There is always too much hype, especially when people talk about it for 8 months before launch but 10-15% IPC uplift is pretty amazing when we were expecting ~8% originally.  Comparing 3700x to the 2700x that is now only a year old, we see cpu tests up 15% and gaming up 7-12% @ 1080p, with the same launch price.  With any res higher than 1080p, all CPU's perform the exact same or within 2%.  

I dont see why anyone would want to spend 33% more over the 3700x for the 9900k if you get near the same performance on productivity, better power, and if you are looking at cpu's in the range, you will probably be not gaming at 1080p.  Even if gaming at 1080p, it is only 8% average difference, not sure 8% is worth 30+% more.   Theres great other options for less that perform near the same @ 1080p, like the 9400f, 8600k or 8400, but have less cores and productivity will be down (3600 will be interesting here too once we have a few more reviews like GN did).  Then the 3900x at the same price of 9900k that will crush it on the productivity side of things, but near the same gaming performance as the 3700x.  It's like if price matters most, 3700x is a great buy but if you need more cores/threads, its hard to deny 3900x with what it brings.  Most Intel cpu's cannot match the 3900x and even those above the 9900k.  But I think some people will look at 720p and 1080p gaming tests and draw conclusions.  

It will be interesting to see what the 3800x will bring, it might be dead on arrival?  Based off of seeing what the 3900x and 3700x is doing.  Slotting in between those two is going to be a tough sell as there can only be a few percent better than the 3700x really. 

If you are building a new pc, Ryzen has to be considered as those savings could be used for other things like a drive, ram or mb.  Most AM4 mb allow to upgrade as new cpu's are released too.   

@Mr.Twinkie I would update the drivers for chipset and also run some tests on your ram.  The memory controller can be very picky and you might have better results with lower settings like 2933 vs 3200 or something. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Idle power use is closer than I thought it would be and I didn't expect there to be much difference in load power but dam there tests are using a lot more under load.

That could be due to MB TDP limits or different levels of v provided by the MB it is a shame they didn't go into a little more detail there.

A lot of reviews show AMD using less power under load than Intel not more.

Edit:

The below tests try to answer the following questions:

• How high memory frequency can be expected with Ryzen 3000 on X370/X470/X570?
  • How high fabric clock can be expected?
  • Is there a benefit to high memory frequency and high fabric clock?
  • How big is the latency penalty when running MCLK != 2*FCLK?
Edited by Dasa

So pushing RAM above 3600Mhz doesn't give much gains because you slammed by extra latency.

Apparently performance and memory overclocking on older MB is a real mess at the moment and it is going to take a while to get BIOS sorted out.