Posted (edited)

Geez that 3600 is stout... Beating the 2700x in nearly every gaming test, sure the min frames were a bit better on the 2700x but not by much at all.  I probably could have gone with the 3600... the price is crazy good.  

Edit:

This is interesting, well at least to me, b350 vs x570 with water vs air:  https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-tested-on-cheap-b350-motherboard/2.html

I bought one of those ram cooling kits last week and should be here soon, I might rig something over the cpu too even though I am on water, to increase the airflow around the vrms and socket.  The vrms on my board are a bit overkill and should not have any issues but it might be fun to setup something anyway. 

Edited by gamble

I don't like this boost clock slight of hand AMD is doing. PBO is not really achievable out of the box.

So PBO is a overclock on top of the usual processor TurboBoost ?

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

So PBO is a overclock on top of the usual processor TurboBoost ?

I'm confused to be perfectly honest. I'm not sure but AMD released a BIOS like a couple days before and perhaps one after release date to improve boosting.

As far as I am aware, PBO is what it could theoretically achieve under the best conditions. But if those conditions are under an AIO... then that's not indicative of what you are going to achieve out of the box. That is in my opinion... deceptive.

PBO is a auto OC and voids warranty I believe.

So when do you get your CPU gamble?

There is a bunch of reviews out there showing higher RAM speeds don't do much for Ryzen anymore but I have my doubts about there sub timings and would like to see some results from somebody that knows what there doing 🙂

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

I just got it! Ran into an issue... Upgraded bios with the 2600x still in and could not get it to run windows. Put the 3700x in and same issue.  Tried to run one Rev down, still not able to load window.  Spent a few hours with ram and different bios settings.  I think my OS drive is dead.  I have some spinners I can test out with. But won't have much time to work on it next few days. Possibly I can try my other sticks of ram too. I'll start another thread so I don't hijack this one. 

20190711-172335.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

There is apparently a lot of people having all sorts issues with the beta BIOS for Zen2.

Posted (edited)

AMD PBO might be a bit borked on the currrent 3rd gen Ryzens

Edited by Jeruselem

Some detailed info on the core.

https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/2458/a-look-at-the-amd-zen-2-core/

Posted (edited)

Timespy the 2nd run, and 1st run of FS, have been out and haven't got to play around with it much but finally running good.  I reinstalled windows and got another larger nvme XPG 8200pro installled.  My other drive seemed dead... It would sometimes not boot to even before the bios update but that was rare, guess the bios update was the trigger to end its life.  Still installing tools, had some weird bios issues.  Like I could not set higher than 2400 because from what I read you have to go up no more the 300mhz for the dimms at a time on this bios boot loop.  I would have to do a cmos reset if I set it too high in a jump... Still testing that, running really slow timings right now.  2666mhz at 16-16-16-34 T1.  

Good news, at least from what others seem to have issues with, is this is boosting really well at the rated clocks of 4400mhz often.  During TimeSpy it would have all cores running at 4325mhz during the GPU tests, nearly flat but at times dip to 4300 but up to 4375 too (rarer), 4350 was hit about as much as 4300 it seems.   The CPU test would stay at 4200, with 25 dip up or down but nearly flat at 4200mhz.  FS was similar but with plus 25-50mhz, so gpu test would give 4350-4375 and cpu test would be around 4250mhz. 

More test will be ran in the new week and hoping there is another bios soon, the ram stuff is just not the greatest right now.  Im going to try to bump it up with that 300mhz or less and see what timing will stick.  I installed a dimm dual fan cooler from gskill.  Kinda annoying with the sides off. 

While I was at it, I removed the heatsink on the gpu and threw new tim on there...  Seems the same though, maybe a few degrees but was fun 🙂 

So these are literally just the 1st few run results below, no tweaks...   Temps usually were in the 50c range, highest Ive seen with Master is 65c so far.  Still have not ran p95, aida64, etc.. yet.

TimeSpy, low dimm settings, only 2nd run:  https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/6510932/spy/7781099

2666-16c.png

FS:  https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/19865485/fs/19716383

Rig, wires and stuff still shuffled about some still:

20190711-193356.jpg

GPU:

20190709-221154.jpg

Edited by gamble

I think the BIOSes rushed out are immature and probably need a few more versions to get out the kinks.

For sure seems that way.  I read new ones possibly next week.  

Gave aida64 a go but it give a message that cpu not fully supported, does not finish or do the L3 cache section but the memory with these crap timings is below.  It will not even show the timings in the bench tool in aida:

Read:  38834

Write:  21283

Copy:  36702

Latency:  85.5

Looks bad but running very loose.  Will keep the same timings and try to move up the bandwidth for some scaling and then try to move the timings down.  Probably need to wait for when the new bios come out for this, very picky right now. 

5 hours ago, gamble said:

For sure seems that way.  I read new ones possibly next week.  

Gave aida64 a go but it give a message that cpu not fully supported, does not finish or do the L3 cache section but the memory with these crap timings is below.  It will not even show the timings in the bench tool in aida:

Read:  38834

Write:  21283

Copy:  36702

Latency:  85.5

Looks bad but running very loose.  Will keep the same timings and try to move up the bandwidth for some scaling and then try to move the timings down.  Probably need to wait for when the new bios come out for this, very picky right now. 

Yikes, the memory write score is a bit now indeed. My Intel 7700HQ with DDR4 2666 gets 37650 MB/s.

Posted (edited)

I am surprised 3900x has a IPC advantage across the board vs 3700x.

lab501 is working on a RAM speed test where they tweak sub timings after finding 3733c14 was slower than 3733c16 due to poorly configured sub timings which could explain why reviews are seeing such a small improvement from higher RAM speeds.
They managed to get latency down from 72ns at 3200c14 to 63ns at 3800c15 1:1

Edited by Dasa

Some tests just did, still not complete but can see how if not setting the infinity to half of ram speed you see it drop.  I wonder if that is the issue... I was seeing it improve with auto when upping the bandwidth so never changed it got till 3466 and latency jumped way up to 83.5.  Setting Infinity to 1733 brought it down to 72ns in Aida(running beta now and seems to work now).   I have to stay under 300mhz up or down when changing the bandwidth or I get endless reboots which then have to cmos reset.  Now that I know that I can finally bench some.  Still loading stuff when I can. Not sure if any of this is stable, just ran for comparison.  I know before I could run really tight timings with 3466, might be stable at higher bandwidth and voltage tweaks with this cpu, I hope lol

Actually cell is wrong, MaxxMem2 not Memtest but it is weird how the latency is all close or within error.  

excel.jpg

TimeSpy, 2866 vs 3733 same timings:

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/7791985/spy/7781030

FireStrike, 3733:

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/19873963

Posted (edited)

Apparently the CH7 had a problem with it's beta BIOS for Ryzen 3k where it would cold boot with 1.2vdimm not sure if a BIOS update has fixed this yet.

But if you reboot without it powering off it will hold the high v setting.

Edited by Dasa

Yea, I have been setting boot v to match my dimm v, that was an issue too I forgot to mention.   Currently, 3733 (Infinity 1867) with 16c @ 1.5v is stable with 1hr of p95.  Still need to test with other tools.  Temps get up to 65c but usually are under 60c.  Im seeing the core after an hour at all core of 4250 to 4275mhz, nearly flat but bumps up, not down to 4275.  If 3733 is truly stable Ill probably go ahead and start trying to OC the chip or try lower timings and/or less volts.   That dimm cooler I have really pumps a lot of air over the dimms and the socket, but is somewhat annoying in the tone/pitch it has.  With the case sides off, my temps are worse for the motherboard and cpu, so the airflow in the case must be decent.  Running my pump at 1200rpm (1940rpm is the highest), rad fans at 1000rpm (1300rpm is the highest) and only get slight peak of 65c for just a sec.  Wish Afterburner had a monitor for cpu temp like they did for 2000 series, Im sure it is coming...  So far pretty happy with this chip, especially seeing reviews on the 3800x, that money saved on 3700x over the 3900x bought me a nvme and dimm cooler with money left over still lol. 

Now looking back at my best latency with 2600x, Im not that far off with the 3700x (64.7 vs 69).  Im hoping to be able to drop that some more with tighter timings. The write will never be close, but if I can get latency near 65, that would be great. 

2600x @ 3466mhz 14c:  https://ibb.co/vDH1Rzy

Posted (edited)
On 7/17/2019 at 12:03 AM, gamble said:

Yea, I have been setting boot v to match my dimm v, that was an issue too I forgot to mention.

That is a improvement at least as in the first BIOS apparently the option to set boot v had been removed.

Nice detailed review.

Apparently there MB was relaxing secondary timings as primary were tightened canceling out the gains.

0a4.jpg

[der8auer] Per CCX overclocking
Edited by Dasa

Posted (edited)

Great review, it is kinda what I was doing and trying to chart.  I tried 3466 with 14c timing and latency was worse (71.2) than 16c @ 3733 (69).  I tried to boot 3800 with 1900 infinity @ 16c but hung (I might try 3800 with 1867 infinity).... Now I have to cmos reset and will take several reboots to get back up to 3733 due to the 300mhz jump limit.  

Looking at that chart, my latency could improve with more aggressive sub timings with 3733 but 3900x might have a bit better latency than the 3700x.   Still have not got around to OC the cores yet, dimm tweaks have been fun and testing it out first. 

Edit:  I read that the infinity should be half of what you set your ram at, but that looks to be for over 3800.... So, I have a lot more tests to do with (opps <edit meant 1:2)

Edited by gamble