Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

AMD Zen

Posted (edited)

Looks like I can run 3733mhz with 1867mhz Infinity with 14-14-14-36 timings.  This gives me close to what they got in latency with 68.2. (Strange, in their chart they have better latency at higher timings with 3733) I've ran 2hrs of p95 with focus on memory, Ill run the other tools this weekend.  I cannot seem to boot 3800 even with lower Infinity, Im probably best off with this as even though the latency only improved a little bit, the read and copy are up.  After I stress these timings, Ill start trying to see what kind of OC, if any, I can get... Probably go with the per CCX way. 

Edited by gamble
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Posted (edited)

Anyone tried overvolting Zen2s? In short, don't bother.

Edited by Jeruselem

Posted (edited)

Good read further down, basically both Intel and AMD have been doing a better job at binning chips and Silicon Lottery even said it might be the beginning of the end for them.    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/silicon-lottery-binned-ryzen-3000,40010.html

--

Personally, I have had little success so far with OC and will probably wait a few revs of bios before trying more.  PBO with auto overclocking and +200 gave me only 25-50mhz more.  But at idle it runs in the low 50's and up to 76c when gaming for a few hours (usually under 73c).  With stock I still get around 4250 to 4300mhz gaming but idle is about 38 to 43c and top temp after hours of gaming is 67c.  67c is only a sec, mostly it is around 56 to 61c.  Manual OC is just funky, not sure if there is a point, but Ram and Infinity seem to have been really beneficial.  

If I was to be completely honest, I bet the 9900KF is a bit more fun to play with since it is suppose to have dropped in price recently and would OC Im sure. 

Edited by gamble

7 hours ago, gamble said:

If I was to be completely honest, I bet the 9900KF is a bit more fun to play with since it is suppose to have dropped in price recently and would OC Im sure. 

This is the main reason I was looking at going AMD as the 9900K is just the same as my 6700K but more cores so up the multi and job done.

The high OC chips have been put into the 3800x, 3990x and 3950x ... you're not gonna get super good OC lower priced chip.

2700X with 3600 RAM faster than 3700X with 3000 RAM in farcry 5 but no mention of timings used.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-review?page=4

Crysis3 however it seems the extra cache on the 3700X is enough that it doesn't matter a great deal what RAM speed you use it performs fairly well while the 2700X takes a fair hit from slower RAM speeds.

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Dasa said:

2700X with 3600 RAM faster than 3700X with 3000 RAM in farcry 5 but no mention of timings used.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-review?page=4

Crysis3 however it seems the extra cache on the 3700X is enough that it doesn't matter a great deal what RAM speed you use it performs fairly well while the 2700X takes a fair hit from slower RAM speeds.

The 3700x looks faster in all tests over the 2700x no matter the ram speed?  

--

So, that CCX tool.. Several have found that it could kill your cpu.  1usmus and Stilt have been warning people not to use it.  I was looking up what people were getting with it and then saw those posts.  Still going to play with OC to see what I can get but will probably use Master for now or bios. 

--

@Jeruselem That tiny thing is amazing!  I want one 🙂

Edited by gamble

8 hours ago, gamble said:

The 3700x looks faster in all tests over the 2700x no matter the ram speed?  

Oops I was looking at the instant FPS at the start of the test not the average in the graph.

I get the impression that CCX in the Ryzens needs higher RAM speeds to overcome it's latency issues.

Posted (edited)

A excellent user review with a bunch of games.

I upgraded from 6700k 4.5Ghz to 3700x and here are my results in games.
Both system have 1080TI 2040/12600 and 2x16GB 3466mhz CL16 ram
Also ryzen is on MSI b450 tomahawk and 6700k was on asus z170 pro gaming
Results:

Gamble and I are currently comparing performance in shadow of the tomb raider DX12 but we are using 1024x768 and the built in benchmark vs the user above which is using a section of actual gameplaly at a higher res.

shadow-dx12-jpg.8469

Gamble is still in the process of optimizing his system but it seems current BIOS are making it a painfully slow task.

https://ibb.co/3T3GVzw

My 6700K at 4.5GHz 3733c16

Tombraider%20768.jpg

at GPU limited 2560x1440

https://ibb.co/SsmYHj8

Tombraider%2520SMAAT2x.jpg&key=3c0ecf1e8

Tombraider%2520SMAAT2x%2520usage%2520cha

Edited by Dasa

Really goes to show how good the 6700k is at gaming.  It still does as good or better in many game tests.  That user did a good job comparing.   Looks like the 6700k still goes for a fair bit of money, 3600x seems closer priced and would be probably a better choice if buying new.   But still, 6700k is still mean gaming chip.  3600 or 3600x would be nice if you did other tasks too.  Found the below:  

• Like 1

6700K has the same IPC as 9900K just half cores and ~500MHz slower.

The 6700K will fall further behind as more games become capable of using over 4 cores but for now it still seems to stand up fairly well.

true that.  

some of the issues I have been facing with the new and old bios is that if you change settings in AMD Overclocking section within the bios, it retains even if you do a cmos reset.  This has bit me more than once, thank goodness Asus has the flashback feature but it is long process.  Even after getting back into the bios, you need to redo your ram timings, volts and fan settings.  Ive found that the new bios I can set 3733mhz with 1867 infinity right off now were before I had to do steps of 300mhz.   When I mess with lcc, it really does not like that (4 bios flashback later with OC I gave up).  Still does not like to do 1900 Infinity.  The cores seem to OC to 4300mhz all core.  Ive only done small runs with this setting so far.  4400mhz OC black screened the 2 times I tried it with up to 1.45v.  I did try 4400 and 4300mhz on CCX 0 and 1 but that didnt pass either.  When I run 4300mhz all core, my scores and gaming is actually worse since I can boost higher than 4300mhz in games on a few cores quite often.  BFV Im usually under 62c so it seems to boost quite well by itself.  Also, with the all core boost, mine never downclocks when there is no tasks, always 4300mhz...  I like it to throttle down when not in use and then I also have 1.4125v (with load it is around ~1.38v), as mentioned llc is not stable for me so I have to set higher, but idle it is 1.4125v.   Seems like the bios is getting a bit better each time.  I was only able to OC 4200mhz before so something they done has helped.   I really like playing with the ram timings but still locks up if I change certain things...  With the new bios Im going to revisit 1:2 ratio with high bandwidth. I have been running OC with 3733mhz ram so I might need to revisit OC with ram at say 3200mhz setting just rule it out too.  

3733mhz with 1:1 Infinity 800%+:

memtest3733-14.png

On 7/29/2019 at 10:39 AM, Dasa said:

6700K has the same IPC as 9900K just half cores and ~500MHz slower.

The 6700K will fall further behind as more games become capable of using over 4 cores but for now it still seems to stand up fairly well.

Gonna stick with the 6700?

If I go Ryzen 3k it wont be for a upgrade it would just be for the fun of it... so still undecided.

Maybe if 3600 prices drop and Asus releases a high end ITX or Matx MB that will fit my case I will still get a new toy that could be upgraded to Ryzen 4k in the future.

I am in no rush.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3000-turbo-boost-frequency-analysis,6253.html

Im not sure about ^ if this is everyone, but all my cores do go up to the max boost clock of 4400mhz but not at the same time with light loads.  It is interesting that they have different experience but they even used a decent cooler to try to get the single thread core up.   Running games like bfv all my cores are over 4250+ and more like 4300mhz+ but depends on the map.  Maybe it has to do with x470 vs x570.   

Buildzoid RAM and FCLK settings vs performance on Ryzen 3000

• Like 1