Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

AMD Zen

Those graphs up there are a great example of how misleading graphs can be. 😄

When it's all said and done, PBO, 3200mhz ram, tight timings if you care, and bump up the fabric clock

2 hours ago, SceptreCore said:

Those graphs up there are a great example of how misleading graphs can be. 😄

When it's all said and done, PBO, 3200mhz ram, tight timings if you care, and bump up the fabric clock

Yea, like Tomb Raider and Last Light...  I just didnt want to bother changing the range to show this better, I was just done messing with it at that point 🙂   The other charts seem to show this much better.

Tried to OC some more but really takes too much volts to run stable with anything over 4300mhz.  It really just does a good job by itself.  Im seeing 4275 to 4325mhz in BFV running ultra without ray tracing and vsync off.   In general it runs games at 4250 - 4350mhz depending on the map or game.   Its a bit strange how its hard to run over 4300 all core OC when it will do it by itself.  below is after an hour, it will hit bounce around those clocks but not lower.  Without OC I can set my fans on low for the rad and pump at 1350rpm.  This then hits up to 70c but usually in the lower 60's.   Light desktop stuff, at least half the cores will hit 4400 quite a bit too.  Yea OC just still not worth it, waiting for another bios to give it a go.  

BFV.thumb.png.e2249cd8210a69e03e1032586f947eb0.png

So Zen 1(Ryzen 1 and 2) have brick wall of 4Ghz and Zen 2(Ryzen 3) it's 4.3 to 4.5.

• Like 1

Pretty much.  Ryzen 1000 series I was able to do 4000mhz, Ryzen 2000 series 4150mhz and this one is probably closer to 4300mhz but takes some volts.  Only the 1700x did I keep it OC'ed, the last two did better leaving them on their own 🙂

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, gamble said:

Pretty much.  Ryzen 1000 series I was able to do 4000mhz, Ryzen 2000 series 4150mhz and this one is probably closer to 4300mhz but takes some volts.  Only the 1700x did I keep it OC'ed, the last two did better leaving them on their own 🙂

I'm guessing there's some 3000s which could get 4.5 but that's for the super high binned CPUs

Edited by Jeruselem

On 8/16/2019 at 7:13 AM, Jeruselem said:

I'm guessing there's some 3000s which could get 4.5 but that's for the super high binned CPUs

7nm+ is supposed to bring another 10% So 4.4 turbo on a 4600 wouldn't be unimaginable. 

Has there been any definitive reason for X570 over B450 at this point performance wise? or is it still too early to tell? 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, the_13th said:

Has there been any definitive reason for X570 over B450 at this point performance wise? or is it still too early to tell? 

From my reading, X570 has PCIE V4 and more voltage for the chipset. That's about it. And BIOS size got increased ...

Edited by Jeruselem

On the above, he asked the community to run r15 cinebench and run single thread to get a baseline of what people are getting for boost clocks.  Basically, you start the bench, quickly hit reset on the history and report the highest boost you can get with your cpu.  I did this with 3x different bios as Asus has released 2x bios for my mb in the last week or so... It was very interesting as my oldest bios gave the best boost, but the worst scores.  Below is what I can get as reported only during the test, not windows or anything like that.  I threw in what my multi score was too just for fun but multi is lower boost, the chart is just for single:

Bios-Compare.png

My post above that one. The newest two bios do not boost my single core as high. 

1 hour ago, gamble said:

My post above that one. The newest two bios do not boost my single core as high. 

It seems the better AMD is doing technology wise... the dodgier they are becoming. 😞

Yea its a strange one, might be AMD or the board partners... 

Hopefully they don't get taken to court again, with the Bulldozer class action only just being settled.

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Beat me to it ^ 🙂

Only my older bios hits 4400mhz,which is what I run as the 2 newer do not. I actually feel lucky though after seeing this. 

Might be just in my case... But maybe it is wide spread as survey shows... Either way those results are just to telling that something is not quite right. Still a great product for price/performance but why even say 4400mhz if most will get 4300mhz?  They could just say 4300mhz is top boost for 3700x and if you got over that you would be less concerned and have a great product either way.  If that were the case people be like I'm getting waht I'm supposed to be getting and a few would say Im getting even better, much happier users I would think...  Need to keep these tech companies honest to advertised and commend what he and hardware unboxed is doing. 

Edited by gamble
  • Like 2

AMD changed some promotional videos showing 5Ghz on speed dial, so don't expect the 3950x to boost to 5Ghz (let alone 4.7Ghz)