Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

AMD Zen

9 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Going to be damn expensive for that setup though

Yeah it's not for you or I. But it's the ultimate in HEDT and there are plenty of people who will buy it.

14 minutes ago, SceptreCore said:

Yeah it's not for you or I. But it's the ultimate in HEDT and there are plenty of people who will buy it.

I'd love one for esxi server! But I cant justify that crazy expense.

Ouch, that's like a 1/3 more per core compared to 3900x!  It is linear compared to the other threadrippers. 

5 minutes ago, gamble said:

Ouch, that's like a 1/3 more per core compared to 3900x!  It is linear compared to the other threadrippers. 

PC case gear has 3970x at $AUD 3099, so yeah my guess for 3990x is pretty close.

13 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_launches_its_ryzen_threadripper_3990x_processor_for_3990_-_a_monster_price_for_a_monster_cpu_-_ces_2020/1

Threadripper 3990x! Only $US 3990 (probably like $AUD 6000) for the CPU only. I don't want know what the motherboard costs.

It beats 2 Xeon Platinums - worth $20000 USD - in V-ray

I'm afraid your beloved Intel will be crying into their coffeelake cup

AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS APU overtakes both the Ryzen 7 4800H and Intel's Core i7-9700K CPU in latest Time Spy benchmark leak

The ever-vigilant Tum Apisak has kindly shared yet another fascinating benchmark result that will surely make those interested in mobile gaming and gaming laptops excited about the potential performance of devices featuring Renoir APUs from AMD. The latest Ryzen 4000 series processor to be spotted is the AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS, which racked up a healthy score of 8,734 points on the Time Spy benchmark (see image below).

It wasn’t long ago we published a similar tale concerning AMD’s Ryzen 7 4800H APU. That processor was also discovered performing well on Time Spy, where it amassed 8,350 points. Both of these new Zen 2 APUs managed to defeat the Intel Core i7-9700K desktop CPU, regardless of the latter having a 95 TDP to its advantage. Like before, the Ryzen 7 4800HS’s score was also beyond those of the Ryzen 5 3600 and Ryzen 5 3600X.

However, there is an extra round of applause to be had here for the 35 W Ryzen 7 4800HS APU. Not only is its Time Spy score greater than those of the Ryzen 7 4800H (45 W; + 10 W difference) and the i7-9700K (95 W; + 60 W difference), it also managed something its fellow Ryzen 4000 APU couldn’t do: It scored more points than the powerful 105 W AMD Ryzen 7 2700X. To put it simply, a 35 W Renoir APU on 8,734 points beat out a performance-level 105 W Pinnacle Ridge CPU on 8,600 points.

Of course, there are many other variables that will affect the Time Spy results, but it cannot be denied that AMD seems to have an outstanding mobile chip with the Ryzen 7 4800HS. It appears when an OEM like Asus makes the claim that the 35 W chip will perform at almost the same level as the 45 W APU it wasn’t actually marketing bluff - at least where these scores are concerned. The Ryzen 7 4800HS (and R5 4600HS) will be used in the upcoming Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 laptop, which should be released at the end of March. As we already reported, Asus has the R7 4800HS exclusively for the first six months of its release.

Now that... is extremely impressive!

Have any of you found a way to get Ryzen Master playing nicely with AMD's equivalen of VT-d enabled?

On 2/11/2020 at 6:59 PM, Nich... said:

Have any of you found a way to get Ryzen Master playing nicely with AMD's equivalen of VT-d enabled?

That called SVM mode? Read somewhere the new Master versions need it disabled while older ones don't.

Edited by Jeruselem

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

That called SVM mode? Read somewhere the new Master versions need it disabled while older ones don't.

Yeah.  So anyone wanting to do anything involving virtual machines, or even just the new sandbox feature in windows10, can't use RM.

Be a shame if your target audience was people who wanted lots of cores to throw at virtualisation 🤦‍♀️

And yeah, new versions won't work with it, old ones will.  Did you also know that the old ones that work with it also don't support the 3000 series of chips?  Oops.

3 minutes ago, Nich... said:

Yeah.  So anyone wanting to do anything involving virtual machines, or even just the new sandbox feature in windows10, can't use RM.

Be a shame if your target audience was people who wanted lots of cores to throw at virtualisation 🤦‍♀️

And yeah, new versions won't work with it, old ones will.  Did you also know that the old ones that work with it also don't support the 3000 series of chips?  Oops.

So ... AMD want you to buy a thread ripper one for the VMs and the other for gaming!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nich... said:

Yeah can't help you there nich...

I don't use Ryzen Master... not yet anyway, still running a stock cooler while I wait for more spon to do the second part of me upgrade.

Ryzen Master is just overclocking software so you can always OC your CPU via BIOS as usual.

It would be nice if it worked though.

It's probably a quirk of the fact I haven't reinstalled windows since shifting from an intel to an amd cpu, but Ryzen Master was the only thing that showed accurate data on the CPU's internal state, eg clock speeds for each core.  Everything else I've looked at so far shows it always pegged at default speed on every core no matter what, which is... probably not accurate if it's only drawing 10 watts of power.  It also means I don't see what speeds the cores peak upto.

So yeah the OCing side is one thing, but it's also a system monitoring tool. 

IIRC, AMD are so closed lipped about how it works, that hwinfo and etc tools on linux are basically trying to reinvent the wheel to get accurate data from eg temp sensors, even.

So if you want to run Llnux and want an accurate system monitoring tool, you're not going get any accurate info out of current software.

Hwinfo for me shows good numbers for voltages, temps, and watts, and useless numbers for core speeds. Guess it's reinstall time.

I guess the Zen architecture is different and traditional approaches for previous CPU models don't apply.

On 2/17/2020 at 3:56 AM, Nich... said:

Hwinfo for me shows good numbers for voltages, temps, and watts, and useless numbers for core speeds. Guess it's reinstall time.

I think so. Windows wouldn't know if it were Arthur or Martha