Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

AMD Zen

7 hours ago, SceptreCore said:

I think so. Windows wouldn't know if it were Arthur or Martha

Small miracle it changed the HAL at least somewhat to handle the new CPU.  Mild sadness it didn't do it properly to save the reinstall.

Guess I should try a refresh first, save me dicking around with nssm setting up daemons again.

Linux had to change the kernel in V5 to make full use of Ryzen as well and they are still making more changes for later Ryzens.

AMD Ryzen 7 4700U scores leak on 3DMark: 15W Renoir with Vega 7 iGPU wrecks 25W Nvidia Geforce MX250

3DMark 11 scores were recently leaked for AMD's Ryzen 7 4700U 15W laptop APU. Considering its frugal power envelope, the part did surprisingly well on 3DMark 11's graphics test, beating Nvidia's 25W discrete GeForce MX250 by nearly 17 percent.

It also confirmed AMD's claim that Vega graphics on Renoir parts would substantially outperform the existing Picasso lineup through higher clockspeeds and higher sustained performance, thanks to the 7nm process.

The integrated RX Vega 7 (with 7 compute units) scored 5446 on the 3DMark 11 graphics test. This is substantially higher than the GeForce MX 250's graphics score of 4655. Thanks to its octa-core Zen 2-based processor, the Ryzen 7 4700U also did great on the physics test, scoring 10,404. This is on par with the 65W Skylake i7-6700.

The move to the 7nm process has meant that AMD's managed to tap into power efficiency gains with Renoir but these results are remarkable: an iGPU that's faster than the discrete MX250 and a CPU power on par with a 14nm flagship. 

With Intel set to launch Tiger Lake chips with integrated Gen12 iGPUs, though, it'll be interesting to see exactly how competitive Renoir is at launch. 

AMD has done a proper good job on these and they'll be banging chips when they're released.

I wonder how much of that score being so good is due to the 8 cores than actual iGPU itself?

7 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

I wonder how much of that score being so good is due to the 8 cores than actual iGPU itself?

Well these Vega parts are even smaller than previous gen and much small than Intel's.. so i'd say the CPU doesn't have much to do with it. 

Emermax Threadripper II liquid coolers are still faulty, don't buy one

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SceptreCore said:

Exciting news hey Jerusalem?

If you're an AMD fanboi LOL

6 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

If you're an AMD fanboi LOL

Or like competition in the marketplace? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SceptreCore said:

Or if you like technology

It's Financial Analyst Day, everything is sugar coated to sound good.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Pretty normal these days, company knows but don't say anything until it's found by a 3rd party.

Well I think they'd have a fix for it if they knew. Same with Intel. These vulnerabilities genuinely come out of the blue for these companies which is why they try and stall while they come up with patches and hardware revisions. 

Yikes... Intel funding the AMD vulnerability research 😄😄

Edited by SceptreCore

Nice I was wondering when somebody would make a waterblock to better suit the core position of Ryzen but now they don't need to.

• Like 1

XboX Series X ... official, it's a custom Ryzen 2 as we expected.

• Like 1

52 CU's x 64 = 3328 cores? (guessing) vs 5700 xt that has 2560 cores.  Could be quite powerful.  

Seems I am a bit late finding this so no doubt most of you already know about it

1usmus Custom Power Plan for Ryzen 3000 Zen 2 Processors

My approach to solve this deficit in the Windows Scheduler is to use a customized power profile that provides better guidance to the scheduler on how to distribute loads among cores. This should put load on the best cores (which clock higher) and result in higher and smoother FPS because workloads will no longer bounce between cores.

highest-observed-cpu-frequency.png

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 3