Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

AMD Zen

CPU-Z benchmark here indicates it works for this person buy I have seen some people claim no difference on forums.

It should only work with loads that are only making use of a few cores.

~150MHz difference is within margin of error for a lot of performance benchmarks.

It would be fun but any AMD CPU would be a downgrade from my 7700K@4.9GHz for the games I play so I just cant justify it.

I'm thinking Ryzen 4000 can be my last DDR4 platform.

• Like 1

Impressive... I mean that is quite powerful, I'm kinda shocked.  Man I want one but not happening for a long while for me... 

On 4/2/2020 at 10:27 AM, gamble said:

Impressive... I mean that is quite powerful, I'm kinda shocked.  Man I want one but not happening for a long while for me... 

Similar encoding performance with a 140W HEDT part from three years ago. That's mind blowing!

19 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Battle of AMD consoles - which is your choice?

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/ps5-vs-xbox-2-3697353

PC 🙂

Xbone has more CU but they are both custom.  

If they allow PC games to play on Xbox or PS, that would be amazing... Like be able to play your steam library.  I was playing some World War Z on ps4 and wow I suck so bad with a controller.  Then I played the same lvl at home on PC and was 3x better. 

I think those that have the current Xbox or PS will stay with that same brand when the new ones come out, unless one happens to be much better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gamble said:

PC 🙂

Xbone has more CU but they are both custom.  

If they allow PC games to play on Xbox or PS, that would be amazing... Like be able to play your steam library.  I was playing some World War Z on ps4 and wow I suck so bad with a controller.  Then I played the same lvl at home on PC and was 3x better. 

I think those that have the current Xbox or PS will stay with that same brand when the new ones come out, unless one happens to be much better

I'm guessing because they are consoles Sony and Microsoft will do all they can to stop people installing anything other the original OS on those machines even though they are actually just PCs.

10 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

I'm guessing because they are consoles Sony and Microsoft will do all they can to stop people installing anything other the original OS on those machines even though they are actually just PCs.

Just because it's Zen & RDNA based doesn't mean it's "just a PC".

• Like 1

Patiently waiting for MS to enable nested VM support in Hyper-V.  Because why wouldn't they have started working on this when Ryzen first started disrupting the market 😐

On 4/17/2020 at 3:04 PM, Jeruselem said:

So that's the "faulty" higher end ones with stuff disabled.

I dunno. They have great yields so... maybe they just needed the faulty ones to pile up

Now if only they would put some more money/resources into driver development for their GPUs. I sometimes feel that the people they have working on graphics drivers are on secondment from Bethesda.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mordenakhnen said:

Now if only they would put some more money/resources into driver development for their GPUs. I sometimes feel that the people they have working on graphics drivers are on secondment from Bethesda.

I get the impression their best programmers work in the CPU department, the GPU get the leftovers.

Posted (edited)

3100 and 3300X are out and look to trade blows with the old 7700K

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3581-amd-ryzen-3-3300x-cpu-review-vs-3100-clock-for-clock

3100 is 2x2 while 3300x is 4x1 both have 8 threads and the same total cache.

With both CPU overclocked to the same frequency it looks like the 3100 performs very close to the 3300X in something like Cinbench but still falls well behind in games which I guess is due to the inter core latency.

Edited by Dasa
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Yea that was super interesting.. Running same clocks and how the latency/fps was pretty huge between them in games.  The price is amazing and if you mostly only game, 3300x really is something.  I mean it's within 3% on most other cpu that's not 5x its price, in gaming it shows most games only need 4 core (maybe smt too) and decent clocks.  But just gaming only rig, you could grab a better gpu from $ saved on cpu.  It's just impressive for the price.