all mb should get bios updates in the future to improve there overclocking capability with ram but at this stage asrock seems to be the furthest behind with its mb only supporting up to 2666mhz while all msi\gb mb claim 3200 and asus only has the one mb capable of 3200 at this stage

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?292937-Ryzen-and-memory

also there is this

AMD-Ryzen-Game-Boost-Overclocking-Freque

Intel-HEDT-Processor-Game-Boost-OverclocIntel-Mainstream-Game-Boost-Overclocking

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1

from what i can find its just another auto oc that feeds way more v than need be but they actually use a knob for it rather than a bios setting

so no idea if that allows you to customize after or not be silly if it didnt

Edited by Dasa

full review leaked early (not with review kit its still using engineering sample) power use is excellent as is performance in some things
http://www.shahrsakhtafzar.com/fa/review/cpu/11652-amd-ryzen-7-1700x-review?showall=&limitstart=

here is two of the worst performance tests in the review so look at it as a worse case scenario
hopefully this is improved in the final reviews

memory bandwidth is good better than intel but latency is horrible
2133c15
ryzen 102ns
6700k 56ns
which could explain this
bioshock infinite (single threaded)
6700k\7700k 207fps
4770k 198fps
6950x 186fps
1700x@4GHz 180fps
1700x 173fps

seems the review is still a little gpu limited with the gtx980 even at such a low res

just gave bioshock a run with 6700k 2x8g@spd2133c15 gtx1070 all stock 1366x768

209fps

and despite gpu usage not going over 95% gtx1070 overclocked 226fps
at 3200c14
gpu stock 220fps
gpu oc 240fps

Gaming scores seem only ok... Cpu scores are amazing. Still reading reviews but would like to see OC results and clock to clock compared against Kaby in games. I'm sure they are out there but haven't got to them yet.

Edit: looks like overclocking is lacking too... Those that did OC in review that Ive looked at so far (at work so only get to view a bit at a time) didnt have temps...

Edited by gamble
  • Like 1

So Intel HT is better implemented than AMD SMT?

in some things

smt looks to scale better than ht for video rendering especially 4k x264\x265

Thx Dasa, looks like smt may need a patch or firmware update... Strange it's games that get hurt but not applications. Even in games if off will have 8cores so not a big deal, more of an annoyance

It's a fixed hardware feature that's either turned on or off, I doubt there's any firmware upgrades that can help.

The disparity in performance, possibly SIMD type instructions go well but normal int/FP stuff suffers. Stuff like video conversion does lots of similar repeating calculations where games tend to have a bit less repetition.

• Like 1

I guess Intel had HT for ages so they've worked out most of glitches by then.HT on the Pentium 4s was pretty awful but they dropped on the Core 2 series. It returned with the i5 and i7 and now they have it on the Atoms.

Edited by Jeruselem

So on gaming, it seems to suffer in lower res but high resolution it is spot on... Guru3d had OC all cores to 4.1g and results were good.

Would like to see motherboard roundup from a few sites next, even though I have one on order, just to see where they land

• Like 1

high res results really dont matter

it still performs the same as a i5 7400 in anything with bad threading or 3770k-4790k in games with good threading just the gpu hides the difference vs faster cpu once the game becomes gpu bottlenecked

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1

Watching some recent reviews on YouTube, gaming performance isnt in Intel territory. And the smt disabled can make games go faster.

it would seem that hidden sub timings are having a fair impact on ryzens memory speed

Simple way to trick subs is drop to 2400. Trc drops quite a bit as do hidden timings most likely. Crank bus to moon. Im waiting on a board to get some hard with adjustable bclk to get some hard concrete evidence of performance scaling.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?292937-Ryzen-and-memory&p=5254761&viewfull=1#post5254761

All the reviews seem to be 1700 and 1800 but haven't seen much of lower models

Pretty sure there's ony 3 models released so far, 1700X seems identical to 1800X except capped 200 MHz lower.

I await the lower models, it would be nice to get a mid 3 GHz 6-core CPU on the cheap.

• Like 1