Sign in to follow this  
atosniper

Kindle ordering - help pls?

I have a conundrum. No, not that one...

So I own an Amazon Kindle device (paperwhite). It is good. I read alot, and it has completely (well almost) converted me away from using paper books. The problem is the price of ebooks from Amazon. Please read on before making a judgement here.

I am Australian, yet I live in Japan. I have a US Amazon account for my Kindle. My account address is my Japanese address, and my credit card is also Japanese. For reasons of contracts, distribution rights and other legal issues (I suppose, I have inquired but never received replies), the books I can view with my account set as described are determined by my Japanese residence. The prices are also set as such. For example, a new book called Uprooted by Naomi Novik (which I am interested in purchasing) is listed as $25 for the Kindle version, and only $15 for the hardcover. If I change my account setting address to a US address, then the Kindle ebook is listed as $11. Also, with my address set to a Japanese address there are some books that dont even appear in a search, for example most of N.K. Jemisin or Mira Grant's works are unavailable. It is very annoying.

That said, until recently I believe Amazon have been setting book prices. This has meant that almost all the books I've wanted were under or around the $10 mark. Recently, perhaps around the beginning of this year, the problems with Hachette and other publishers lead Amazon to let many of the publishers set book prices. This has seen a big jump in ebook prices. Now many of the books are above, in many of those cases well above, the $10 mark. This problem though, largely seems to exist outside the US. If I set my address to a US address most of the books are still below $10. It is farcical.

Does anyone have some kind of workaround for this problem?

At first, I simply changed my address to a US address and ordered that way. However, after a few purchases I received a letter stating that my account address and my credit card address did not match and I needed to provide proof of my US address. It stated that if I continued to abuse this my account could be closed. One workaround that does seem to work, is getting a family member in Australia to gift me the book. However, this is quite an annoying process for said family member and requires relying on them, and while the book prices with an Aussie address are usually cheaper than with a Japanese address they are still more expensive than with a US address. I've considered adding money to my US account with gift cards I gift to myself, then use a VPN to make the purchase (maybe I dont even need the VPN if using money deposited in the Amazon account balance as any money in this account is ALWAYS used before a payment to a Credit Card). Any ideas on this? My last option was to simply pirate them. I dont really want to do that though.

So any comments on the above methods? Any other ideas? I find this issue really frustrating.

Edited by atosniper

Get a Chinese address?

Like so many, they charge "what the market can bear" and the apparent heavy US discount is a mix of the economies of scale offered there, the fact it's often the home market and the fact that pricing there tends to be low in part due to their minimum wage which is lower than many other OECD countries.

The mentality of charging more for a digital copy than physical book - that's beyond me. But even magazine eBook subscriptions aren't exactly cost competitive with just buying it over the counter either. I'd sooner pay 8 bucks than 5 for a real magazine in many cases.

Plan C of course is just obtain illegit copy - maybe this needs to occur more often to get these guys to finally pull their fingers out and play fair.

See what it's worth as a Kobo book, or an ePub file; then use Calibre to convert it to Kindle.

Just because you own a Kindle doesnt mean you have to use the amazon\kindle store.

Hmm, that is a good call, thanks, MS. I shall compare a bunch of prices. How good is Calibre? Will it produce a document that works flawlessly on my Kindle every time?

I dont own a Kindle, i own a Kobo; but I convert flawless from Kindle format to ePub flawless every time.

Even PDF's convert flawlessly. If its not a 100% success rate, i'd be willing to say 95% 'flawless' and probably perfect if you dont mind a single odd line break every few chapters.