Been reading up on seedboxes lately and they seem like a better option than a VPN but, like old guy knows nothing :) so wanted to get some input from some of you guys before I pull ze trigger. I figure the costs are about the same per month. I currently have a VPN but rarely use it mostly due to speed issues so I fear I am wasting a lot of money each year (about $10 per month). What I need to know is how 'secure' a seedbox is, are the copyright nazis going to start going after those as well?

Thanks

Are you after mainly speed or privacy? If maintaining ratio is your problem, your cheapest option is probably to just leave the computer on all the time.

Looking at one host, $15 a month for 400 Gig filespace and 1 Gb/sec unlimited traffic. Not bad.

Then again, I suspect these providers rely on the fact that sufficient # of clients means they're effectively hosting a large part of a swarm so a lot of the "traffic" is just through their LANs.

http://www.greycoder.com/best-seedboxes/

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/seedboxes

I use Usenet for downloading "Linux Distros" these days. Far more privacy-friendly than bittorrent.

Although truth be told, for all the cost and fuss of setting up seedboxes, it's ALMOST worth it to just get Netflix or Stan/Presto and be done with it.

As Netflix's catalogue gets better over time, there'll be less and less need for getting "Linux Distros" illicitly.

Edited by SquallStrife
  • Like 1

Thanks chaps, yeah I see your point but we're not quite there yet..so I got a seedbox, so far so good. :)