Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

The problem with 'Dyanmic Ads'

Is that you can't find them again if you want to!

The ammount of times this week alone that I've visually scanned an ad while waiting for a link to open is crazy, when ive realised I want to see what was advertised, and hit back, the ad is different.

Anyone else? They're legitimately missing ad revenue and possibly sales from me by doing this.

• Like 1

Is that you can't find them again if you want to!

The ammount of times this week alone that I've visually scanned an ad while waiting for a link to open is crazy, when ive realised I want to see what was advertised, and hit back, the ad is different.

Anyone else? They're legitimately missing ad revenue and possibly sales from me by doing this.

Most probably randomly generated with a malware program. Be-careful when clicking on any ad.

I honestly can't say I've ever seen anything in a banner or page ad that I've wanted to go look at again. Very rarely I'll see one on TV/video/clip that's worth watching for the ad itself, but mostly if I've heard of the product once, I can find it if I'm looking for it, and telling me about it more often is just going to annoy me.

err, no. They're ads. Websites use them to pay for their hosting and what not. there's one at the top of this page.

I'm never careful about clicking anything. I have backups, by browser is sandboxed, and my 'data' drive is DeepFrozen.

If there's a link, I'm clickin in!

You seem to have a theme going on Code; in that you think 'they' are after you, be it big business, or little hacker boy.

Malware is HARD to get. You need to install it or be out of date with browsers. It doesnt happen magically, and I know for a fact you still run an antivirus; so relax mate!

And in terms of 'the man' being a problem, it took months, if not years of spilling secrets before anyone did anything about Julian Assange.

I assure you us computer geeks with our disabilities and ho-hum day to day jobs are the least of the megacorporations concerns.

I honestly can't say I've ever seen anything in a banner or page ad that I've wanted to go look at again. Very rarely I'll see one on TV/video/clip that's worth watching for the ad itself, but mostly if I've heard of the product once, I can find it if I'm looking for it, and telling me about it more often is just going to annoy me.

This example, was an ad on this very page, about a Sound Card, I thought "gee, I havent looked into sound cards in YEARS, I wonder whats up with that one that makes it fancy" then... i couldnt find the ad again.

It'll show up, but still, its a flawed dynamic i think. my elderly parents another prime example;

they'll see something like.... a car on a gumtree ad, while on ebay. and think "oh wow, I'll go look at that in a minute" do their ebay thing, then return to the main page to click the button they saw a minute ago, just to find its now a picture of cheap shoes.

The Gumtree ones are a laugh. Browse one sort of item that you've never looked at before and suddenly 3/4 of your ads have those items.

A couple of weeks ago somehow it decided I wanted to look at early 20s female backpackers looking for jobs... can't complain about that one.

Though that was around the time "Catching Milat" was on TV - I had looked up a few Wiki articles but doubt that would have influenced it.

Edited by Rybags

I guess I just found it ironic, that in an age where a lot of people run ad blockers, or naturally ignore them; the times we genuinely want to see them, they're so obsessed with forcing ANOTHER and ANOTHER down our throat we can't go back.

Seemed stupid to me was all.