Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Injecting new blood

So I had an idea;

We've had it made quite clear that PCTA isn't fully embracing our forums as theirs, I still think they can, and should, but oh well.

Right now, what's the draw to join up?

Not a whole lot. Even random Australia related chatter has slowed down (something AUSTECH has on us in spades!)

So I got to thinking, 'what can we offer?' and really, what we can offer, is a smaller community of extensive knowledge.

How about a 'Members Projects' section?

Now, I'm not usually one who thinks a 'new sub forum' will help, its breaking apart an already thin forum; but hear me out.

What's our server space like? Does it have enough room to host significant photos?

If so, one sure fire way to at least have people become aware of our existance is to link people back to the forum.

Basically, I envision things like "Here is my arcade cabinet I'm building, this is a teaser picture, link and discussion below" then its hosted on Atomic.

Sure, it wont be a magic cure all, but as someone (I think Fliptopia?) said, we're born out of the Beige Box computing era, when case mods were 'cool' people came here to see lights, cut windows, and overclocking.

Now that that has become more mainstream, its no reason not to keep trying.

We all do some pretty fun stuff in our spare time.

I remember ZEBRA's storage discussion, as a great example.

The old DVD writer tests too. That was full on.

Right now we have g__day building a bloody ASTRONOMY room!!! probably pretty normal for the astro-nerds, but for me, the typical IT\car nerd? Thats out there! and damn cool!

I mean, we have (sorry ive forgotten, was it CyberGlitch?) doing oldschool youtube game streaming and mods.

Why not list "your official forum" here for discussion?

Hulkster built a legit Man Cave recently, that was neat!

and Dasa, I have no idea what he does, but every time someone posts a 'Build' thread, he shows up, shits on everyones ideas, eats them, poops out perfection, and dissapears into the night again. I'm sure he can contribute something to this idea.

I'm not an idiot, I know its a long shot, and I dont expect the community to thrive overnight.

I like to keep my fingers crossed, I'm always Mr Positive in situations like this, and if we all were a little more public, and put the effort into 'logging' our 'tech fun time' we could really have it going on!

Obviously, our GODs would need to be OK with things like youtube chanels calling this their spiritual home, and we'd have to abide by our (pretty lax really) rules, but its a shame to see such knowledge going to waste.

Anyone care to expand? Agree? Disagree? I still love my little world here, and the oldies that remain are priceless people in my lives and probably some of the first people I ever called 'friend' but it'd be a nice bonus to see some new life injected.

• Like 1

Maybe some youtubes on selecting parts to build a PC ,could be an idea.

Or even Youtubes updates on articles and parts reviewed in PCTA Mag.

Even building a PC ,setting up a SSD ,M.2 and such. Maximising SSD's usage in Windows and what to do if something stops working.

Hulkster built a legit Man Cave recently, that was neat!

and Dasa, I have no idea what he does, but every time someone posts a 'Build' thread, he shows up, shits on everyones ideas, eats them, poops out perfection, and dissapears into the night again. I'm sure he can contribute something to this idea.

I'd be into this.

I'll be decking out a whole man-house in the coming months.

NBN fibre going in shortly, got a network cabinet and 48-port GigE switch ready to install, going out to buy a pinball machine later in the year, and got the opportunity to completely re-build and integrate my retro gaming consoles+computers station from the ground up.

• Like 1

It was you Squall wasnt it, not Cyber, who was doing the oldschool youtube shows. Sorry about that!

yay! another onbaord.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I support and/or endorse this product.

If you make some vids, let me know - I'll post them on the front page (you know, that things everyone ignores :P).

I support and/or endorse this product.

If you make some vids, let me know - I'll post them on the front page (you know, that things everyone ignores :P).

What Front Page? Why not a separate area for Youtubes.

And now I feel like an idiot;

Just last night I spent tearing down one of those new 50Wx4 mini amps so I could apply GOOD thermal paste (as a few reviews report overheating), and I took 0 pictures.....

Gotta keep in the mindset; "if its normal for me, doesnt mean it is for everyone".

I'm guessing things like this aren't conductive to making new users feel good about joining up.

Take the advice of your name and Dont Worry :)

It's the internet, and that comment wasnt even made on the Atomic forums, it was some comment section of Disqus.

David Hollingworth has always been a very fair and reasonable man, with hot buttons relating to said fairness and reasonable adult behavior.

Sure, he's had some crude comments in the past, but never overstepped the mark around here.

In fact, unlike a lot of other sites mods he's willing to be reasoned with, not just wave the I AM GOD flag.

Even if it was wrong (and maybe he was), he's only human, and maybe it was a shit day?

Besides DontWorry, don't worry, No adult would take one instance from one person and base an entire community on it;

thats kinda how racism, sexism, and 99% of all bad stereotyping starts.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I'm guessing things like this aren't conductive to making new users feel good about joining up.

Do you see David doing many posts in the moderating vein on the forums?

Yeah, that'd make me feel pretty upset too.

I don't know what the original post said, but I imagine that if an admin isn't too keen on the content you create you wouldn't last long anyway.

Normally i agree with Hawkeye but that was a bit of dick move.

Funny but still dickish, deleting the comment would have been more appropriate and then banhammering the user if there was any further issues.

Anyone know what the original comment actually was?

I agree Xen, but we know Hawkeye has his own shit to deal with.

AND we know he's hot buttoned for equality.

So I can see a combination of a bad day, a hot button, and him being used to the 'family' nature of these forums (where we'd probably find it funny), getting him bitten once or twice.

We're all only human, people. The internet is a bitch for not letting things go.

Edited by Master_Scythe

So this was a thing?

It was a thing.

And Code, what kind of extra area do you mean? Putting it on the front page would give you more exposure, rather than hiding you away.

So this was a thing?

It was a thing.

And Code, what kind of extra area do you mean? Putting it on the front page would give you more exposure, rather than hiding you away.

Like a Topic area like a Green Room.

Um, I guess... If that's what you'd rather.

Would probably be a lot easier to find than put them on the front page not many in here read PCTA frontpage and just enter forums.

Or you could use Facebook for video's with links into the forums.

So this was a thing?

It was a thing.

Yeah, it was a thing.

We all know your SJW-ness.

But silencing someone's opinion? Not cool.

And then on top editing their post to day they're a homophobe, when there was nothing about that in the original post? Extremely hot cool.

And finally doing this to a gay person? That just shows how the SJW clique works. You're ok, if you tow the narrative line. Don't do that and you're a misogynist/homophobe/racist.

Yeah, it was a thing.

I agree. it was but we're all adults, and if someone made a mistake, so be it.

It's only still a thing because its in writing and screen shotted.

If someone spoke ill of someone (or in this instance, spoke for someone, incorrectly) then it'd be a second of 'pull your head in!' then the community would move on.

Thanks for derailing my thread, and trying to go on a public shaming spree rather than private messaging the person concerned, emailing them, or hell, even starting your own thread.

Regardless of who was right or wrong (and I can't see the original post, so I wont take sides, maybe Hawkeye is 100% at fault? I dont know, regardless), this is a very immature way to go about discussing it.

Edited by Master_Scythe
  • Like 1

And finally doing this to a gay person? That just shows how the SJW clique works. You're ok, if you tow the narrative line. Don't do that and you're a misogynist/homophobe/racist.

I'm sure it's not what you intended for me to read from it, but it's hard for me not to wonder if you've never known any homophobic (or anti-gay, if you prefer that language better) gay people. Or if you think there's some big conspiracy where there can't be a disagreeance on some things because some other things are agreed upon.

Not the same as a 'Now, I'm not racist, I have plenty of friends that aren't white, but...', but sort of that impact.

And, while it is kind of relevant to this thread as far as why people may be avoiding the site/forums/domain, DontWorry, if it's something you want to properly discuss, a new thread may be a better place so that it's easier to find.

Yeah, it was a thing.

We all know your SJW-ness.

But silencing someone's opinion? Not cool.

And then on top editing their post to day they're a homophobe, when there was nothing about that in the original post? Extremely hot cool.

You're doing the same thing by lumping anyone that doesn't toe your particular flavour of narrative into the 'SJW' bucket, as if they're a conglomerate with identical goals, experiences and values.

While I agree that editing somes post is problematic, and that I'd too be angry in your position, at least try to consider why your post would trigger such a drastic response. Unfortunately I cannot help you there since I'm not privy to the content.