retiredfromlife

Nvidia 960 or 970

My old Nvidia 660Ti is starting to play up so I am looking for a replacement. Thinking of a 960 or 970. Dont really want to buy the 970 unless I really need it.

As far as I can tell my most demanding game now is The Witcher 3, and probably Fallout 4 later this year.

My rig is a 2500K processor, 4 gig ram and a Benq 24" 1920 x 1080. Al housed in a LianLi D600.

For some reason graphics cards do not last long in my builds, we do have poor fluctuating power not sure if that causes failures.

So the cheapest option that will work will suit me.

With regard to longevity how do EVGA cards last? they do not advertise militarg grade componets or ultradurable etc. Notice they do advertise a double ballbearing fan though.

Basically I am holding old till to the virtual reality head sets get sorted then do a full upgrade.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards MarkL

Since you are gaming at 1080p the 960 will be fine.

Now onto your power problem.

You mention other componants of your rig above but, you don't tell us what PSU you have.

Is it a good quality PSU or a dodgy yum char PSU?

A dodgy or low quality PSU could be one reason why your GFX cards are dying especially if you have poor fluctuating mains power.

If it is a dodgy or low quality PSU I would highly recommend that you get yourself a good quality PSU.

You also don't need anything over 650 watts. You wil be looking at around $150 give or take for a good quality 650watt PSU and less for lower wattage.

Also check the thread linked in my sig. I know I have not updated it in a very long time but it will give you a good idea of what to look for in a good PSU.

Edited by mohawk

I have a corsair 750 watt power supply, forgot the model though. Corsair replaced the original under waranty as it failed.

I am looking to get something to even out the incoming power if it is not too expensive but not sure what. At work we have phase correction capacitors but they are way to expensive for private use.

I notice at PC Case gear you can get 960's with with 2 and 4 gig memory. Which would be best? I hope to be trying mods for Witcher 3 and fallout 4 when it comes out if they will need extra memory on the video card.

Regards

Edited by retiredfromlife

If you're concerned with your incoming power, maybe a UPS to help filter it?

If you're concerned with your incoming power, maybe a UPS to help filter it?

This is on eoption I am currently looking at.

Regards

It will cost more, but find an ACTIVE ups, not a passive one.

ACTIVE generally means ALL the power fed to your computer is from the batteries, and the mains power is used to recharge said batteries.

Passive waits for spikes or droops and tries to correct them quickly.

This doesnt explain why a GPU would be seeing drops or spikes on the other side of a switch mode power supply. It makes sense the PSU died, but nothing else....

Ive run every GPU i've owned at max overclock, at about 90*C for minimum 4 years each time, and i've never had a failure. Also have multiple nightly brown-outs without a UPS.

have a Seasonic 650W PSU (afaik the manufacturer for Corsair)

Edited by Master_Scythe

It will cost more, but find an ACTIVE ups, not a passive one.

ACTIVE generally means ALL the power fed to your computer is from the batteries, and the mains power is used to recharge said batteries.

Also known as "online" UPS.

Edited by SquallStrife

Why not just buy a power filter from mains into PC ,might be cheaper. You can buy powerboards with them inbuilt.

Why not just buy a power filter from mains into PC ,might be cheaper. You can buy powerboards with them inbuilt.

This is what I currently use, but not sure of it's effectivness. I purchased mine from Bunnings.

I am only guessing it is power that causes the problems as I was told by an electrician we had power surges as we often blow light globes as well.

Regards

This is what I currently use, but not sure of it's effectivness. I purchased mine from Bunnings.

I am only guessing it is power that causes the problems as I was told by an electrician we had power surges as we often blow light globes as well.

Regards

I would suggest to contact the power company that supplies your electricity ,might be a good start before investing in a UPS. It could be a transformer in the area about to blow. Tell them the problem of blowing light globes and flickering lights ,also mention the electrician has monitored power spikes.

We did contact the supplier and they indicated the power was within acceptable limits.

The easiest thing for me to do is try somrthing myself, at least for the time being.

Regards

So an Online or Active UPS is the solution.

If you want to continue trying a PASSIVE filter, grab teh DickSmith branded ones (no joke).

They have a capacitor for ripple surpression. (its TINY so at 240v its not doing much, but its measurable)

Ferrites for EMI filtering (there's 3 in their 'double wide' power boards, quite good!)

And the surge protection. while still only MOV like most cheap boards, has been independantly tested and actually responds as quick as it claims.

I used to have one of those Speakers that pugged into mains power.

It had a huge resistor and a 50~60hz filter. So basically any noise outside the correct range made horrible sounds from it.

The only ones I found made a difference were THOR and DSE boards. Some others helped, but things like HPM for example are MOV only and offer no actual filtering.

At my home, I live next to a train line, so I get surges and drops every time a train goes past. I have a DSE single wall socket, INTO a DSE 6 way power board.

They go on special for about $25 on occasion, I always buy some.

My single wall wart has lost its lights, indicating it FINALLY wore out (3 years isnt bad) but the powerboard is still going strong :D

We did contact the supplier and they indicated the power was within acceptable limits.

The easiest thing for me to do is try somrthing myself, at least for the time being.

Regards

That is not right any spike that can blow light globes and PC's is not acceptable. Your Power Supply company is passing the buck.

Try taking it up with Electricity Ombudsman in your state ,each state has one. Also get an Electrician to monitor your power over 24 hours then ask him to write a report.

But buying filters and a UPS is avoiding the issue ,no one should pay for dirty power. If you are insured they could stop covering any items attached to your Power Supply if its known.

I would be doing as much as i can to ensure your Power Supply is clean and free of spikes. This is what you are paying for.

Would pay for Dirty Water ? Or Dirty Food?

Edited by codecreeper

Would pay for Dirty Water ? Or Dirty Food?

If thats all that was available, yes.

Which is the case with their supplier, you'll find they can change provider\contract easily enough; but the lines (just like phone and tesltra) will be owned by Energex, and the company likely wont be able to do much.

For the sake of a once off phenominal cost; but potential long term BIG savings; you can get active UPS for the entire house. I'd imagein they'd actually be cheap if you didnt include the battery, then just add a smaller one for the purpose of supression rather than power supply.

• Like 1