Opy

[PC] World of Warships

Open Beta Shenanigans in World of Warships

Day 1.

This is in Beta, and only 2 nations have a proper research tree that you can progress through to get to tier 10. Out of the U.S. or Japan options I went with Japan.

A couple other nations have some premium vehicles in them that you can purchase if you've spent cash on Doubloons.

Game 1.

Working out the firing system was easy enough, look somewhere with your commander reticle and wait for turret reticles to focus on the same spot and turn green. If you fire when 1 turret is aligned but not quite the other turret then you can get into a rythym of firing from alternating turrets. With the fast reload times of a tier 1 cruiser this is pretty cool.

I managed to get a kill in my first game which I was quite happy with and we won the game.

After the game you get your 3 tabbed battle results showing how each vehicle contributed with damage done, XP earned, kill tally, and awards earned, your hit ratio (so bad in my first game), credit earnings and numerous other stats.

And after that I realised I was in a windowed mode that was only using about 65% of my screen. I guess I was too engrossed in the playing to notice this before.

Beefed up the resolution without incident. All other graphical options are maxed by default. Not sure if it scanned the machine to decide on best settings for my GTX590 (SLI is inactive)

Game 4.

My accuracy has improved a lot. This is not a gunner skill as in WoT, crew do not come into the game. I've personally improved in leading the target and have worked out how to shoot over the corners of island mountains.

I've also upgraded my cruiser with slightly faster gun and higher HP tower. I'm now focussing on destroying enemy turrets to reduce damage done to me, and getting rewarded with a small symbol of a red gun turret.

So 4 games and 4 wins. Yay!

Oh wait, I've been playing PvE all this time? Didn't even realise. From what I can tell, PvE is a team of humies against a team of AI bots. It is faster to get a game in low population hours as you only need 8 people, not a full 16 to be ready for battle.

Day 2.

Game 5.

Switched to PvP mode. Maximum wait time for a game is 5 minutes when I assume it will throw you into a game of smaller teams, or possibly fill the spaces with AI bots.

I'm now using AP rounds instead of the default HE. And instead of trying to remove guns I am aiming for the 'citadels'. The theory here is that a shot that gets through the most armored part of the ship will get to the juicy parts of ammo stores and engines to cause more damage. Not a lot of luck in that regard, I did get 1 shell in which gives you a little pop up to say "Citadel x1", sparking a little internal cheer to myself.

The only difference I noticed between PvP and PvE was that the enemy is more cautious and trying to hide behind islands a lot more in PvP.

And another win. So I'm at a total of 5 for 5 now. Destined for a huge bout of losses soon. All games have been won by slaughter, not by capture points.

I have now researched and purchased my first tier 2 vehicle. Just waiting for the paint to dry before I take it out.

Opinions.

The ships look pretty cool. A lot of detail and damaged ship look damaged with fires, holes and burn marks.

When you have a large battle with ships everywhere shooting tracer fire everywhere it looks awesome.

The water looks okay, but the bow wake looks a little too calm and make it look like a toy boat in a pool.

At this tier is feels like the game could get a bit monotonous pretty fast. It is definately fun to play and there is a lot more to see. I've not yet played destroyers with their torpedoes and lack of armour, or the battleships with thier heavy armour and BFGs. I'm looking forward to getting attacked by aircraft to see how the mechanics work, not to mention the visuals.

There is more I'd like to have in the game. Areas of fog and storms would be interesting. Maps with lots of land mass to navigate through and force close quarter battles. I've not really investigated the interface or seen any in game chatting yet.

What I have seen so far has been enjoyable. More simple (at teir 1) than World of Tanks, more playable than World of Warplanes.

You can see statistics for each player online

Hawkeye has played 5 times more than me at this time and you can see in his record how stats average out the more you play, actually, it looks like he's been hit with a number of unlucky games, though all of his are PVP games, of which I've only played the 1.

Hey Opy!

I have been warshipping too but, I am on the NA server and to my surprise I am getting an average ping of 105ms with no packet lose which is amazing ping to the US!

So I am wondering what kind of ping and packet lose you are getting?

Also not one to boost :P but, http://worldofwarships.com/community/accounts/1000119713-Mowie/#!general_pvp

I am actually quite surprised that WG did a pretty decent job on WoWS and I am quite enjoying it.

I am still a bit pissed about the use of blue print and paper ships but, at least there is not as many of them so far as there is in WoT or WoWP.

MM can be dick just like WoT and stack it against you.

General gameplay by players on the NA server so far in my experience has been good.

They have been quite well behaved in chat and so far have had no griefers.

This in itself makes the game more enjoyable which makes me guess a more mature crowd could be playing it.

Let us know what it is like on the Asia server, I cringe at saying that since it is the reason why I don't WoT tank anymore!

Here is a sceen pic of my best game to date.

TlU3rx6.jpg

Grats Mowie

My 1 game in a U.S. boat is my 1 loss to date.

I think I'll wait till full release to start. I hate playing for a long time and have everything reset on me.

Not much free time to play games recently.

Torpedoes!

So I bought my first t3 vessel. My first with torpedoes equipped. 2 turrets worth even.

Got into a battle with a few carriers per side.

I started off with the plan to sit back and defend a carrier. Realised I wasn't really contributing to the battle from there so snuck onto the cap and sat next to an island, trying to be vewwy, vewwy kwiet.

Failed.

Basically used all the thought processes and tactics that I know do not work in WoT. They don't work in WoWs either. Who would have suspected?

We won the game but I ranked about 4th last in team XP. And didn't get any real experience at fighting against aircraft.

• Like 1

Torpedoes!

So I bought my first t3 vessel. My first with torpedoes equipped. 2 turrets worth even.

Got into a battle with a few carriers per side.

I started off with the plan to sit back and defend a carrier. Realised I wasn't really contributing to the battle from there so snuck onto the cap and sat next to an island, trying to be vewwy, vewwy kwiet.

Failed.

Basically used all the thought processes and tactics that I know do not work in WoT. They don't work in WoWs either. Who would have suspected?

We won the game but I ranked about 4th last in team XP. And didn't get any real experience at fighting against aircraft.

LOL!

Asian server? Eww.

Did you not learn? :P

Come on, he never learns! :P

Well, the Asian servers aren't that bad...not from the 3 hours I had.

Anyway, can make the following that the US Navy is a much better bet if you like guns. The IJN is better suited for scouting and running your hide out of there. The lower tiers is definitely more catered for the US whilst the high tiers is a lot more balanced. Shame my Chikuma isn't really designed for ship combat. :(

Loving the game. Think they have done a great job of it. By the way, Jingles mentioned that there is no wipe from Open beta to full release as WG basically see Open beta as full release.

Tye

Here's my profile if anyone wants a gander: http://worldofwarships.asia/en/community/accounts/2008692302-sora3_roxas/#tab=pvp/account-tab-overview-pvp

So far, I've been hit with friendly fire more than my opponent's which was annoying. But that one game yesterday was awesome, destroyer vs cruiser in a game of cat and mouse. Sadly, I lost. :(

Here's my profile if anyone wants a gander: http://worldofwarships.asia/en/community/accounts/2008692302-sora3_roxas/#tab=pvp/account-tab-overview-pvp

So far, I've been hit with friendly fire more than my opponent's which was annoying. But that one game yesterday was awesome, destroyer vs cruiser in a game of cat and mouse. Sadly, I lost. :(

I have been hit once by friendly fire out of 32 games in the NA server.

Maybe I have been lucky or the Asia server gameplay is just the way I thought it would be...... crap!

Maybe I have been lucky or the Asia server gameplay is just the way I thought it would be...... crap!

Well, I was torpedoed three times out of the 20 games I've played PvP on. So probably, but I accidentally TK'ed one guy who decided it was fun to steam straight at the enemy battleship, 2 cruisers and 1 destroyer instead of GTFO out of there. Laid torpedoes to cover our retreat. Said idiot steams right into the torpedoes. Blames me for TK when I told him repeatedly to GTFO out.

Well, I was torpedoed three times out of the 20 games I've played PvP on. So probably, but I accidentally TK'ed one guy who decided it was fun to steam straight at the enemy battleship, 2 cruisers and 1 destroyer instead of GTFO out of there. Laid torpedoes to cover our retreat. Said idiot steams right into the torpedoes. Blames me for TK when I told him repeatedly to GTFO out.

Sounds like typical SEAtards. :P

I have not come across anything like that so far on NA. The player base seems to be more mature at the moment.

I must have downloaded the wrong image, the only server it shows is NA. Is there a way to switch it to Asia?

I must have downloaded the wrong image, the only server it shows is NA. Is there a way to switch it to Asia?

There might be but, you will need to search the web for it.

ATM, no. The mods on the forums indicate that you can't but there are people who successfully transferred. However, they probably had premium ships which meant money for WG.

ATM, no. The mods on the forums indicate that you can't but there are people who successfully transferred. However, they probably had premium ships which meant money for WG.

Ah, not transferring my account, but playing on the Asia server where I already have an account, and I found the answer :)

You can do that by editing the res/scripts_config.xml file :

<server online="true">

<host addr="login.worldofwarships.com:20020" alias="CBT NA"/>
<login>piksel</login>
<password>login1</password>
</server>
change to -
<server online="true">
<host addr="login.worldofwarships.jp:20020" alias="CBT ASIA"/>
<login>piksel</login>
<host addr="login.worldofwarships.com:20020" alias="CBT NA"/>
<login>piksel</login>
</server>
This gives you both servers in the dropdown list. I just replaced the NA server...

I'm loving WoWs.

I find the gameplay a lot more rewarding than WoT. You tend not to die often from invisible, instant kill hits, inertia plays a huge part, and your new ships aren't hobbled by 50% or 75% crews.

The leading mechanic is hugely important, especially for a battleship. Landing some hits on your first salvo, means you don't go 30 seconds with 0 damage.

The "artillery" equivalents are much less shitty. They have finite planes, if you whittle down their reserves they can do nothing. They are big obvious targets, and hard to hide on the map, and it's actually very hard to get a super-unstoppable strike in (you have to coordinate torpedo strikes from multiple angles at once, which isn't easy). Cruisers also have abilities that severely reduce plane ordnance accuracy.