Opy

[PC] World of Warships

I thought I had no idea playing tanks, but I'm sure I have no idea playing warships!

It's pretty but...

I thought I had no idea playing tanks, but I'm sure I have no idea playing warships!

It's pretty but...

With ships it is more about your position in the fleet, defensive and offensive maneuvering and most important of all, team work.

You also need to have a good understanding of your ships capabilities and it role more then you do in tanks.

Attack in packs and only solo an enemy if you either are much bigger or it is just about dead anyway.

It's pretty but...

With ships it is more about your position in the fleet, defensive and offensive maneuvering and most important of all, team work.

You also need to have a good understanding of your ships capabilities and it role more then you do in tanks.

Attack in packs and only solo an enemy if you either are much bigger or it is just about dead anyway.

Yep, I picked that up early :) It's much more important to 'gang up' on the enemy in ships than tanks. I don't really understand the roles of each boat but given I've only played a couple of hours that's not surprising...

It's pretty but...

Yep, I picked that up early :) It's much more important to 'gang up' on the enemy in ships than tanks. I don't really understand the roles of each boat but given I've only played a couple of hours that's not surprising...

I'm a big WW2 ship nut back when I was a young lad so this is how I think the ships are designed to work.

Aircraft carriers - support and stay the fuck out of the fight. You have the biggest support which is the air and that's how you win the fight. If there is another carrier on the other team, it's about making sure you have the right loadout. Otherwise, a decent loadout of both torpedo and dive bombers would ruin a team's day.

Battleships - floating long range support. Don't think that you have big guns mean that you can intimidate the enemy. Your role is actually softening other ships for your team, not to be a big floating target. Use your guns outside of their range and force them to scatter. That would mean they would be vulnerable towards your own support. Speaking of support...

Cruisers - protectors of the battleships and front-line soldiers. Wonder why WW2 had a lot of cruisers? They were the bread and butter of the fleets. Their job is actually to engage the enemy at decent ranges. So for the US cruisers, it's pounding hard with the guns. IJN cruisers are more designed for speed and torpedoes so use them.

Destroyers - range detection. Simple. You're a scout and once you see an enemy, GTFO with smoke or with your super speed. Only go for torpedoes if you don't have any team mates that will steam at the enemy (sadly too common these days) and the enemy is not moving at all.

Another thing you need to understand is plunging fire. Most of the time, you will be firing at long ranges and that arcs the shells high in the air before coming down. Plunging fire is a lot more damaging because it can cause a chance to penetrate the decks. For HE rounds, this may increase the chances of fire. For AP rounds, this means a higher chance in penetrating the decks and dealing a critical. So understanding plunging fire is key to a lot of battles and you'll be using it a lot.

Pretty much everything Sora says.

Battleships are slow, and vulnerable. They have slow turrets, slow reloads, but long range. They need people to spot for them. They are best at engaging each other, but at long range cruiser and especially destroyers can often escape their barrage unscathed. Cruisers are a good combination of speed, firepower, reload speed, and in some cases torpedos. They fire so many lower-power shots that they can cripple destroyers in a single barrage, and they can hurl so many high explosive rounds that they set battleships on fire. If a battleship lands a full broadside against a cruiser though, that duel is probably over.

Tricks and suggestions:

Tempting though it is to secure a torp run with a destroyer, spot for your cruisers and battleships, and stay safe. If you make it to late game you will have a field day once the formations are all broken down. Against formations of enemies, you will be lucky to score one kill. I've got four or five at end game.

Cruisers - your role is as the glue holding the formation together, stay near some battleships so they can give you supporting fire, and so your awesome AA cover can help them. Remember you can nearly disable air attack for a short duration. If you fail to secure a kill, but you protect a battleship and keep your formation alive until later in the match, it's often worth it. Aside from battleships, other ships can't repair.

Battleships - don't be in the lead, you'll get spotted by destroyers, and have long range plunging fire raining on you from outside your vision. Go for long bombs, on slow targets. Keep an eye out for cruisers and destroyers that run aground, and exploit that. Make sure you watch out for air attacks, and turn away or into torpedo bombers. Try not to get cut off alone, you will get ground down by a wolf-pack of cruisers.

Should we like, have everyone post their game ID so we know who to shoot or do we just assume that those folks trying to push an island across the map are one of us?

EDIT : I should also add that anything I own that shoots torpedoes will do more damage to my allies than enemies - you have been warned.

Edited by Mac Dude

Just a reminder on battleships, the first battleship you unlock doesn't have a very good range on the main batteries. I'm not sure on the USN but the IJN is terrible with only a 8km range. Hell, my cruiser could hit anything outside of that! So for the IJN, you really need to supporting the cruisers and destroyers very closely.

@MacDude or anyone for that matter, should we start setting up an Atomic group soon?

• Like 1

torpedoes.

I shouldn't be permitted to even be near them. Last battle was in a one-on-one against another destroyer when all my weaving left me nose into the shore. Fortunately for me the enemy destroyer happened to be approaching along the path my torpedo tubes were facing.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

When he got close I let him have it. Of course at the split second I hit fire one of the other destroyers on our team decided to put himself between me and the enemy. He copped a full complement from me while I burned to death. The enemy destroyer must have had trouble finishing the game with all those tears in his eyes...

• Like 1

So it was you that blasted those torpedoes?!

Just kidding. I think I raged at a destroyer that launched torpedoes at the enemy, with me squarely in the middle. Took evasive action and ended up with a battleship, a destroyer and a cruiser all aimed at me. Guess I sailed into the wrong neighbourhood... -____-

• Like 1

Loving destroyers.

I feel like the game is a bit rough on battleships, but I think it's probably the quality of pubs. Battleships have poor accuracy, to make up for their huge reach, whereas cruisers especially the cleveland can just plink away with their hugely accurate barrages. If you don't have people spotting for you, then you are just big, slow and vulnerable to most other classes.

• Like 1

The next patch 0.4.1 addresses the issues all battleship drivers have. Basically, anything within 4km or less won't scatter like a kid with sand in their hands to the ends of the spectrum. It has done wonders when I played on the test server but it isn't released for the general public yet. Probably still ironing out the kinks and crashes that happens a lot...

• Like 2

Will really help BBs in close-in duels, and punish DDs for suicide runs.

It's kind of ridiculous how a cleveland can finish a BB with a frontal assault because of the BB's dispersion. This should make that suicidal.

US DDs will get a boost too, including the Sims class destroyer.

The minikaze is getting a slight nerf to detection range, can still spew torps from well out of range.

I think a range of US DDs will get options for long ranger, lower damage, slower speed torp options.

Edited by TinBane

@ Tinbane, too bad the patch doesn't nerf idiots that keep spamming torps at targets well outside their range...

Too many times I've been closed to being torpedoed by my own team. I have to say that the amounts of idiots are growing every day and many times than not, my team lose because one idiot had to be a classic Leeroy Jenkins...

Made an account on the Asian server, but still yet to play it. Really want to (equivalent of platoon) with you guys! Been too long playing something like this with you mob :-P

Asia or NA server?

I rarely see torps fired out of range, by allies behind me!

Asia, TB. Too often I've seen DDs launching torps when the enemy is clearly at 10km. And it doesn't help that the torps only have a range of 5/7km for USN/IJN respectively...

At your current tier :P (EDIT: as in, the torps go up to 20kms later on!)

Yeah, it's a bit of a rookie mistake. It should give you an "extreme range" warning on the HUD, when you launch torps at a target more than 20% out side your torp range.

Alternatively, it should give you the torp range on the screen, other than the ring on the mini map.

Edited by TinBane

At your current tier :P (EDIT: as in, the torps go up to 20kms later on!)

Yeah, it's a bit of a rookie mistake. It should give you an "extreme range" warning on the HUD, when you launch torps at a target more than 20% out side your torp range.

Alternatively, it should give you the torp range on the screen, other than the ring on the mini map.

You can actually check by hitting Alt. That's what I always do whenever I'm about to launch torpedoes...

And yeah, I haven't grind my way up to the Tier 10 yet.. :P

New patch had dropped guys if you haven't gotten it.

Battleships can now hit things within 6km, no more wide spreads to nowhere. The Furataka is now useable for once and IJN CVs are still OP... :(

They are okay, but the alt-fire on fighters actually helps counter massed IJN air attack.

Also DDs can now take the AA consumable.

The sims got a boost. New option for slow, 9km torpedoes are fantastic.

DDs also take more damage from HE, with the casemate nerf, which is good. Makes the little blighters scary but much more manageable, and makes DD on DD battles pretty decisive.

Enjoying the BBs but hate the toro bombers for obvious reasons.

Though I do get a regular laugh from the bombers who can't hit me even though I have the turning circle of a small planet. And bugger all speed.

Haven't done anything down the CV or DD lines so I'll have to give that a whirl...

Made an account on the Asian server, but still yet to play it. Really want to (equivalent of platoon) with you guys! Been too long playing something like this with you mob :-P

It's a division in ships noby. And we in the 14th love them. I currently have a 96% win ratio with them. On a side note I love my battleships(currently up to Tier 7 Colorado..just about onto the 8.) And I also really enjoy Carriers. Especially my Tier 5 that I went the option on of mostly fighter squadrons which annoys the opposing carriers no end when I proceed to clear the skies for my team of bombers and torp bombers very early in the game without them even getting a shot away.

Came back after the public release and the new voice commands is making it easier for the non-English players to actually work together. Most of the games were a blast now with the new commands on the Asia servers.