Sign in to follow this  
te0p

Midi on New PC options?

Im not that well versed in Midi stuff, thing is though my mum has a Midi keyboard and in the past has used it with her PC which is now Dead.

Im intending on building her a new PC, but i dont think finding a Audio Card with Midi is probably an option.

So what is the best way to connect her Keyboard/synth to the new PC?

A break out box? USB to midi box.

She will want to use the synth with something like Sibelius.. which she has in the past, so what is the best way to get this to all work?

Sound cards with MIDI I/O can still be had new. USB to MIDI interface also an option.

Best way? No idea, but at under $10 for either option the wrong choice if there is one isn't going to hurt much.

• Like 1

USB breakout IMO.

gives you a "Midi" soundcard to choose, rather than hoping your (often older) software knows how to pick the right input (not mic or line) for the keyboard.

• Like 1

USB to MIDI converters are fine.

We use them in retro gaming to connect real vintage machines to MUNT/BASSMIDI, and for connecting modern PCs running DOSBox to real synths.

Fork out for the Roland UM-ONE mk2 if she's serious about it, we found that the cheapo USB-MIDI devices drop/mangle notes when used as a MIDI input. Going the other way (connecting a PC to a synth) seems to be OK on the cheap ones.

The Roland one can be had for $50ish

Edited by SquallStrife
  • Like 1

USB to MIDI converters are fine.

We use them in retro gaming to connect real vintage machines to MUNT/BASSMIDI, and for connecting modern PCs running DOSBox to real synths.

Fork out for the Roland UM-ONE mk2 if she's serious about it, we found that the cheapo USB-MIDI devices drop/mangle notes when used as a MIDI input. Going the other way (connecting a PC to a synth) seems to be OK on the cheap ones.

The Roland one can be had for $50ish

This is what i will do, i only today decided that a laptop is the best option for her to use. will have alot more freedom.

I will buy here one of those Rolands..... looks good.

Thanks for your help guys.