Sign in to follow this  
noskcaj

i5-4690 vs i7-2600k for virtualisation

I've recently obtained an i7-2600k with an asrock extreme4-m z77, and was wondering if that would be an improvement over the i5-4690 with msi b85-43 i have currently. Both would be running with 16gb RAM and a bequiet dark rock 2. The pc is used for gaming (mostly DotA and UT4) and virtualisation (ubuntu testing VMs and a buildd for tanglu).

So would putting the older chip in be worthwhile since it can OC and has hyperthreading

for games ht wont do much but with a decent oc the 2600k will perform better especially if paired with higher speed ram

but most games will be gpu limited not cpu so in them it will just use more power while not making a noticeable difference

i7 for sure.

you can throw one real and one virtual core at a VM and have it perform almost as well as throwing two real cores at it.

DOTA will still laugh at your specs and max out :)

one real and one virtual core

No.

Both threads of one core.

Edited by SquallStrife

In Synthetic benchmark tests and applications that can use higher threads the i7 will be faster, in gaming... I doubt there will be much difference at all. The fact that the Core i5-4690 is faster by a whole 100Mhz per core might help it, but then the i7-2600k has 2 MB extra cache.

I reckon if it is a hassle, don't bother. Your i5 is newer, runs cooler, has a faster integrated GPU (I'm sure you have it disabled) and supports some newer tech that I doubt you use but it is great to know it is there.

Hmmm, another thing I think you should consider is motherboards, since the i7-2600k is 2 generations older tech, will you be losing any benefits there?

-Edit-

Checked on motherboards, not much between them I don't think. Nothing that stood out anyway.

Edited by fabman_uk

Do you have enough gear to support two whole computers?

If so, game on the i5 and run ESXi or Xen or similar on the i7.

I have a huge preference for bare metal hypervisors.

I've not got a case or psu, but i might try and get an old one and do that. Moving the disk from qcow2 to a real hard drive will be a pain though