Sign in to follow this  
satyricon11

Blank hard drive issue

I have a hard drive that was wiped using a disk wiping utility and I am trying to re install windows on it. However I am stuck trying to assign the disk a volume and letter. I see that the disk is listed as "disk 0" and I've already ran the clean command and converted the disk to MBR. I'm just curious as to how to assign the volume and letter.

You'll probably need to allocate partitions first. Either do so when installing an OS or mount in a USB caddy and use the storage management utility under System -> Manage in Windows.

I went into diskpart in the windows installer and created a partition and gave it a volume name as well. It shows up as disk C: and volume "New Volume" and the disk is labled healthy and is empty. When I go back and run the actual installer, windows says device drivers are missing. I have searched google and done everything that has been suggested such as restarting the installation, pulling the flash drive out and re inserting it into a different USB port and reinstalling windows onto my flash drive. I have also used differenty types of flash drives because it seems SanDisk doesn't like making bootable flash drives.

Laptop is an HP Pavilion Model # 11-n010dx

initial OS: Windows 8

no CD/DVD drive.

As of right now I'm using WinToFlash to re install windows 7 on one flash drive and I'm using another to try and install windows 8 again using the Windows Installation Media Tool of of the Microsoft website

Edited by satyricon11

Are you trying to use the default Windows installer to put Windows onto a USB attached drive?

I don't think it allows that. If the system allows booting from USB drives then you can generally use a utility to put the Windows install DVD onto a flashdrive.

Most laptops have hidden partitions ,this could be screwing up the partition allocations.

Rybags-I'm using WinToFlash to try to load Windows 7 SP1 onto a flash drive, and I was using Windows Installation Media Creation Tool to try to load Windows 8.1 to another. Which I downloaded from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

WintoFlash allows me to specify where the Windows .ISO is or an extracted folder and installs to a specified path to a flashdrive.

codecreeper-As of right now there are no hidden partitions on the hard drive because D-Ban was ran on it a couple days before and wiped it clean.

I have a hard drive that was wiped using a disk wiping utility and I am trying to re install windows on it. However I am stuck trying to assign the disk a volume and letter. I see that the disk is listed as "disk 0" and I've already ran the clean command and converted the disk to MBR. I'm just curious as to how to assign the volume and letter.

Why are you trying to do it that way?

Disconnect all other HDDs in the PC, boot off your install media and follow the prompts. There is no need to pre-partition or assign drive letters.