codecreeper

Here is good idea for an article

A modern day smartphone is a computer in your pocket.

Not really it cannot be used for gaming because of the high cost of data to use. Smartphone's seem to hit a wall in most apps ,with user payments and privacy. It still has a way to go before it replaces the humble PC.

Not really it cannot be used for gaming because of the high cost of data to use. Smartphone's seem to hit a wall in most apps ,with user payments and privacy. It still has a way to go before it replaces the humble PC.

There are single-player games for phones, you know. Even ports of older PC games. Not to mention that 'computer' does NOT mean 'games machine'.
  • Like 3

There are single-player games for phones, you know. Even ports of older PC games. Not to mention that 'computer' does NOT mean 'games machine'.

Smartphones do everything a computer can do, albeit to varying levels of quality due to screen-size, storage limitations, data connectivity or other constraints. This means the functionality is there but there may be tradeoffs or the experience may be different/restricted.

Can you name a function of a computer that can't be performed on a smartphone?

Can it send and receive email? Tick.

Can it browse the internet? Tick

Can it be used as an entertainment device? Tick

Can you print from it? Sure (with the right phone and printer)

Can it do word processing? Tick

Can it do photo editing? Tick

Can you install other operating systems? Tick (Well custom ROMS for android phones)

Can you install other programs/apps? Tick

Can you videoconference? Tick

Can you connect external devices and/or storage? Tick

Plus you can make calls, send SMS etc etc.

• Like 1

Can you name a function of a computer that can't be performed on a smartphone?

Can you do actual computation, like raytracing, SETI@home, or weather simulation? ;p

(The answer is of course "yes" - just not very fast, and nobody has been silly enough to write apps for that yet.)

Not very fast compared to what computer from what era? : p

Gaming data from mobiles isn't particularly intensive, and whether it is or not, wifi.

A modern day smartphone is a computer in your pocket.

I think the greater mass of the desktop computing populous would not be expecting a smartphone to replace a humble PC anytime soon

I think the technology is incredible. I have a computer, yes, a computer that fits in my pocket, it has a 1.2ghz quad-core CPU, 2GB of ram, 16GB harddrive and it does a heck of a lot more than what my old 486 could do

Here's what my pocket computer gets used for

Facebook

internet banking

emails

alarm clock

watch

notepad

camera

calculator

GPS navigator

and the list continues....

I do however, refuse to buy an ipad.