Modz

Help build a Top 10 Vintage GPU collection.

Help me build a top 10 desirable vintage GPU collection.

Hi all,

I am currently building a new display cabinet for my ever growing collection of vintage hardware. The cabinet isn't big, but it would house lets say 10-12 graphic cards for example of size.

However I would like to reach out to different communities for inspiration to help put together a meaningful collection of hardware to go into it.

Sooo, want I want to do it put together a collection of 10 of the most desirable video cards from over the past few decades. So i would like some help from you guys in order to work out what are not just my most desirable cards, but what others might wish to have in their own collection.

Notes on what I am after:

- Item must be an add-in card classed as a "graphics accelerator" design for either PC 3D gaming or workstation 3D rendering. Not a 2D video out card.
- Cards Interfaces: ISA, PCI, AGP, PCI-E or workstation extended variants.
- Think of 1 card or a list of your top 10.
- Both reference & board partner models are ok. But think unique/special.
- 1 off concept or limited release cards. 1 off example, Galaxy Duel GPU GTX460 White.
- I want extreme, over the top or truly unique. (eg: outrageous cooler design, crazy duel/quad/hex/oct core, insanely over engineered overclockable.)
- Beautifully crafted card. sexy cooler designs or custom PCB card.

Vintage/old cards I already own:

- 2x 3DFX Voodoo 2 12mb SLI Cards (going into top 10)
- Nvidia Geforce 2 Ultra 32mb
- Nvidia Geforce 4 MX 440
- Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4600
- Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra 256mb AGP

- ATI Radeon X800 GT 128Mb All-In-Wonder (going into top 10)
- ATI Radeon X1950 XTX 512Mb Crossfire Card
- ATI Radeon 9800 XT

Options I've got my eye on so far:

- 3DLabs Dynamic Pictures Oxygen 402 32Mb Quad Core PCI video card.
- 3DLabs Wildcat Realizm 800
- ATI Rage Fury Maxx 64mb Duel GPU card.
- Nvidia Geforce 7900 GX2 (or 7950 GX2)
- EVGA Geforce GTX 780 TI Classified K|ingP|in Edition (overclocking insanity)
- Asus MARS III ROG Card. (Duel 680s)
- 3DFX Voodoo 5 6000 (Quad chip)
- ATI Radeon 9500 Pro. (An old school legend)
- Quantum3D's 8-way Voodoo5 SLI (3DFX insanity)
- Quantum 3D Mercury (no words....)

I may have room for up to 12 gpus depending on what I end up getting, but I am going to add into the collection an Asus Ageria PhysX Card for the lols.

Please feel free to list any of your favourite cards or any suggestions you have. There just might be some crazy card or vintage legend I wasn't privy to.

For interest sake a must have would be one of the early 3Dfx cards that was partnered to a normal graphics card and used the passthru VGA cable system.

I remember the GeForce2 GTS cards being fairly desirable in the early nVidia days.

The later 3DFX multi GPU chip cards would be a must.

Passively cooled cards using heatpipes are "different" - I had a Gigabyte GeForce 8600GT for a while, it was notable in that most other like cards used a fan but it didn't.

I still have my ATI X800 GTO installed in an AthlonXP system - though it was a pretty good card of the day there wasn't really much noteworthy about it, and remember at that time ATI were well behind with the implementation of Shaders.

The old X1950s - I remember I put on in a mate's machine. Some of the high end cards even though single GPU were ludicrously huge. I remember the machine crashing intermittently, and rigging up a system of zip ties to stop the thing sagging under gravity which made it pull out of it's slot.

ed - maybe an 8800GT. Not that it's physically much different from anything else out there but it was one of those landmark cards that everyone wanted and it sat at or near the top of the pile for a long time.

ed2- maybe a GeForce 5000 series card, from memory they were massive underachievers.

Edited by Rybags

If we are going to the Geforce FXes, then the card to have was the 5900 XT

http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/over2k4/fx5900xt.jpg

Same GPU as the FX 5900 Ultra, but cheap and overclocked straight back up to ultra speeds with little fuss.

Unfortunately, most OEMs stuck to the reference cooler design so it wasn't much to look at.

Only things I'd really add to your list

- Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 (SLI Voodoo2 in a single slot solution)

- Diamond Edge 3D (bearing the legendary nVidia NV1)

- Creative 3D Blaster VLB (for being a VLB card oddity, uses 3DLabs Game GLINT chip)

- Canopus Pure3D (for being a 6MB Voodoo Graphics card, instead of the reference 4MB design)