Sign in to follow this  
disolusiond

Help! Keyboard and mouse not recognised.

So I got a new MB and CPU. MSI Z97 Gaming 5 and a i7-4790K. Shouldn't be much of anything but a relatively easy upgrade procedure. Wrong. Once I started up my rig with the new parts, my keyboard and mouse aren't working. Actually, they are, right up to the point where windows kicks in, then they go dark. I started a chat with MSI support and they said to flash the bios by removing the MB battery. So I did that, and still nothing. After that I got sick and haven't touched my PC since. Too much effort for my head to deal with atm.

Feeling a little better today so I thought I'd start asking around for a solution. Anyone had this issue and know a fix? I'm getting to the point where I just might take it to the local PC repair and let them deal with it, but I'll try a few more things if they seem easy enough.

Full specs.

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 MB

i7-4790

2 x Saphire Tri-X 290 OC

Cougar GX 1050W PSU

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz 9-9-9-24

ASUS Xonar Essence One external sound card

ASUS PB298Q 29" ultra wide monitor

Logitech G something or other keyboard

Logitech g502 Mouse

Various hard drives, both SSD and 3.5"

I don't know why the sound card text is dark. I've retyped it 4 times now, still black. Weird.

Edited by disolusiond

So the mouse and keyboard work fine in the UEFI/BIOS, but don't work as soon as you're into windows? Which version windows?

Have you tried unplugging everything USB but the keyboard? Tested other mice or keyboards? Tried using the USB 3.0 ports instead of the USB 2.0 ports?

*edit*

What about the PS2 port? You might have some luck there with an adapter or old keyboard.

Edited by TheFrunj

So the mouse and keyboard work fine in the UEFI/BIOS, but don't work as soon as you're into windows? Which version windows?

Have you tried unplugging everything USB but the keyboard? Tested other mice or keyboards? Tried using the USB 3.0 ports instead of the USB 2.0 ports?

*edit*

What about the PS2 port? You might have some luck there with an adapter or old keyboard.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes that's correct. The mouse and KB work in BIOS, but as soon as Windows starts up they go dead. I went and bought the most basic KB I could find, as well as a USB to PS2 adapter and plugged the KB into the PS2 port. The KB works in the PS2 port, but not the mouse. But then it's just a KB that's working, and I have to update everything again as flashing the BIOS wiped all the drivers for everything. Don't know how to navigate all that with only a KB.

I've tested all the other KB and mouses that I have in all the USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports, with only the KB and mouse plugged in and still no joy.

Windows 7 is what I'm using.

Is there a Bios option for USB keyboard support? Though I don't think it generally makes a difference for Windows, but worth a look.

Is there a Bios option for USB keyboard support? Though I don't think it generally makes a difference for Windows, but worth a look.

Yep, there sure is. It was and is set correctly. I tried every setting that there was, just to be sure. Still nothing.

I am hoping it's just the BIOS that needs updating and once that's done everything will be roses. Thing is I don't know how to get that done without the use of a mouse and KB, or a KB by itself for that matter.

Edited by disolusiond

MSI website knowledge base or Bios updates might lend some help.

Though to me it seems near impossible that a Bios or EFI would go public with the glaring omission that it kills keyboard support under Windows.

My suspicion about this is that there's probably some weird hardware conflict going on.

I had the same issue with my media PC. After everything was working for a few months, mouse and keyboard suddenly stopped working once I got to the windows login screen (Windows 8.1, mind you). The same mouse and keyboard worked with other PC's, as well as in the BIOS for the media PC. Repairing windows with the install CD fixed it.

Not sure how much help this is to you, but just a suggestion.

My suspicion about this is that there's probably some weird hardware conflict going on.

This. It really sounds like some other device is sharing the same device port(s). Does the BIOS allow you to change the IRQ settings?

Whilst IRQ conflicts rarely exist in PCs these days, a dodgy Windows driver or misconfigured setting can throw up problems like this.

Did you install the intel host driver for the 3.0 ports?

And this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/2vsakl/msi_z97_gaming_5_backside_usb_problem/

How did putting that boot tool on a USB drive help you get a keyboard and mouse working?

You've made too many posts to be a bot :P lol

You must have something in mind for a fix, lol.

Me assuming its, Windows 7. Windows 7 does not come with usb 3.0 support by default and as such if you are trying to use any peripherals in a usb 3.0 port on boot up when installing windows or when you have not installed 3.0 drivers on your system. The tool adds the usb 3.0 drivers to the ISO file allowing windows 7 to use usb 3.0 devices on boot. Yes the peripherals will work in bios but not in windows.

As you know i recently built a PC and i had this issue no mouse or keyboard on boot up and could not use usb drives to boot, however by installing the drivers on the usb iso image it allowed windows to see the drivers and boot install from usb thus allowing me to use mouse and keyboard to install windows.

Have had this issue on all the new Intel NUC's and Pc's that i have been building.

Dont know why its highlighted.

Edited by Soulessdeath

Yay, actual input! heh.

Good idea, I did think of that myself after encountering it recently... but... ya know... year ago :P

Thank you for being a part of the community though, Forums slowly dwindle members and a new member is always welcome; hang around and have more chats :)