NZT48

best printer brand?

I want a new MFC (printer + scanner). What brands are good and what are ones to avoid?

Canon, HP good in that consumables are usually reasonably priced as are the basic printers.

Epson, unsure. They used to have the print head incorporated into the printer which = cheaper ink resevoirs but you're screwed in that the print head is much harder to clean yourself and once clogged you may as well just chuck the whole thing away.

Lexmark used to be the real cheap and nasty of the bunch but apparently lifted their game.

I tend to go with separate printer/scanner as i reckon they last longer and an individual scanner is quite cheap.

I have a Canon scanner and recently bought a Brother B&W laser which is awesome.

Stick with the big brands as Rybags said.

A big plus of these all-in-ones is that it saves a lot of space - I rarely bother to set my scanner up and will often just use a camera or phone to copy a document.

Another advantage with some is they have a stand-alone mode in that a computer isn't required if all you want to do is bang out copies of something.

Downside of course though - if one or the other component fails you have half a boat anchor. Though they're often on sale under 50 bucks which almost makes them a consumable in itself.

On the other hand - it seems other forms of scanners like handheld swipes and ones you can feed sheets through are making a bit of a comeback (such things were the norm before flatbeds became affordable). But they're not so great if you want to copy pages from books.

Edited by Rybags

I've gotten pretty decent value out of a HP MFC - colour inkjet printer, scanner, fax.

got a fuji xerox printer from aldi - does colour, and apart from slow warm up, the prints are fast and good quality once they get started - $99 on the day

scanner is an ancient canon lide 35, bought a second really cheap because they didn't play with win7, but it's a pretty simple fix to trick it into using the lide 60 drivers (even better) under win 7

personally, unless you live in a cupboard, get a separate scanner - the storage in box of the lide has a footprint of 75x10cm, and fits under the desk when not in use

Nice dog-act. Almost as bad as the power tool batteries that only take 200 charges then disable themselves.

I bought an Epson WorkForce WF-3620 and I'm having trouble with the scanner function. It's not terrible (though I think it should be better) if I scan with Paint.NET but the resolution is not great. If I scan with the Epson software it looks dark and crap.

There's usually multiple scan resolutions that can be selected though depending on what you use to scan with the dialog mightn't be available.

Generally there'll be a preview mode which is useless for anything productive but nice and fast to get a quick overview of what your scan will turn out like.

Then there's usually 2 or more resolutions available for "useful" scanning. These days 600 DPI is probably the least you'd want to work with, the real high resolutions if available are good if the scanner is intended for doing film or negatives.

I should also add - scanning colour "photos" can have mixed results.

Don't expect much from the likes of low quality reproductions like you often get in newspapers and magazines where you can see the individual CMYK dots.
Way back I actually found you sometimes got better results with low resolution than high when dealing with such items.

What i do when scanning colour images is put a magazine like PCTA and scan that first. Then adjust the colours based on that mag ,everything else should scan correctly after that. But most scanners have an alignment paper that you scan before using, this aligns the scanning heads and colours ,do that first too.

Do you scan colour photographs?

Yes

Does the scanned image look the same as the original image?

For inkjet and for photography, I prefer Canon. I don't like the way Epson treats after market paper personally. While there is a different when using ICC profiles, I have found, in my limited exposure, Canon has treated me well while the Epson's I've owned tend to print with a green tinge. That's not to say every model of Epson will do that of course.

My Canon MX850 has been rock solid for printing and network scanning since the day I bought it.

The scanning issue was fixed by selecting "No Color Correction" in the "Color" tab of the "Configuration" button.

Canon for me, they don't make laser printers but that's not their market really. Their printer cartridges have a printing head so you don't have to throw away the printer.

I rolled the dice on an OKI and it worked out quite alright. I'm just straight BW Laser though, all of my photog stuff is outsourced to much better printers.

• Like 1