Sign in to follow this  
NZT48

new external DVD-RW drive

I am going to get a new external DVD-RW drive. It must be able to be powered solely by one USB port. Advice on brands?

Edited by NZT48

DVD writing has pretty much matured and I'm not sure a lot of ongoing development is going on other than the combo ones that do read and/or write to BluRay as well.

My Pioneer internal drive that had served well for several years started playing up so I replaced it with a used LG one I had laying around about a year ago.

Not that I exactly do many burns or use DVDs at all for that matter, but so far it's been great. Nice and fast too, supports something like 20x writes.

Others might disagree but for any type of DVD drive I'd probably go in rough order - Pioneer, LiteOn, LG. Other decent types around too, some are just rebrands of other popular types.

Internal drives for a while have actually been cheaper than most 50 packs of blanks - seems that external USB2 drives aren't much more expensive these days, might pick up one myself sometime http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Though IMO, the cost per Gig of optical media, the space it takes up, speed (lack of) for IO operations and general unreliability of it vs HDDs for me just doesn't make sense.

Buy a 2 Terabyte 3.5" external HDD, it comes to about 50 bucks a Terabyte. USB powered 2.5" drives come to a bit more, may as well say 60.

A 50 pack of reputable brand blank DVD-R comes to 23 bucks or so. May as well say 5 packs of those per Terabyte (actually a bit less but I generally don't like to do 100% writes as many failures occur in that last 5-10% of hte media). 5 packs = $115. OK, shop around you can get them at $20 a pack for a $100 per Terabyte figure.

So, effectively writeable DVDs come in almost double the price of an external HDD. Lower reliability, slower to use and non rewritable.

These days, it only makes sense to use them if sending non critical data through the mail, or doing backups of non mission-critical data.

• Like 1

These days, it only makes sense to use them if sending non critical data through the mail, or doing backups of non mission-critical data.

Still handy for passing on videos to people who want to chuck a disk in a standalone DVD player.

:-). Also easier and cheaper to post than a HDD if that is what you need.

Mostly I use optical now for chucking software on to give to people as it is not always certain that I would get a flash drive or external HDD back from the recipient. Plus the odd diagnostic boot disk as again this is still cheaper than having several flash drives each with their own bootable diagnostics. I also occasionally have to deal with PCs that refuse to boot from USB (yes some people have really old computers).

• Like 1