nobody813

Email Hosting for Small Business

Hi all

Long time since I've posted a question here, but I feel as though this is still the best place for me to ask first :-)

I've been asked by a small business to rebuild their wired and wireless network, purchase and setup a few new machines, and provide them with a company email domain. The first two I am comfortable with, and have a plan an quotation ready for them, but the latter I have no experience with. What business email providers have you guys have experience with, and what would you recommended I suggest to them?

Thanks in advance!

I only have experience with google apps, thanks to grandfathered free domain access. I'd likely be looking at them if they're heavily invested in Google's ecosystem, or Office 365 for hosted Exchange if they already use a lot of MS stuff.

• Like 1

It probablay makes most sense to get a static IP address from the ISP and then get a domain name.

I only have experience with google apps, thanks to grandfathered free domain access. I'd likely be looking at them if they're heavily invested in Google's ecosystem, or Office 365 for hosted Exchange if they already use a lot of MS stuff.

Will have a look into both of those. Some of them use personal Gmail/Hotmail/Live/Outlook.com accounts for their work email addresses, so will see what they are comfortable with. I also have to chase up whether or not they have a parked domain; a quick search came up with one using the businesses not-so-common name, so there's a possibility the previous IT consultant half set up one for them. Many questions!

You might find ClearOS useful.

It probablay makes most sense to get a static IP address from the ISP and then get a domain name.

I do like the look of this, but this business doesn't want anything hosted onsite. They would rather pay a little bit per month for someone else to host it. Thanks though!

email is one of those things that "needs to work" considering its all above board business, I'd be looking at office365 hosting the emails. Its reliable, they can get it from any PC, and the web interface even looks like Outlook still.

• Like 2

email is one of those things that "needs to work" considering its all above board business, I'd be looking at office365 hosting the emails. Its reliable, they can get it from any PC, and the web interface even looks like Outlook still.

+1 for this, or Gapps.

Hosting your own email is truly more effort than it's worth.

• Like 1