Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
A.S.Wolfe

What are you reading?

"Red Tide", by Larry Niven and two new authors I can't remember. Dude must be 100 by now, but he still writes the same way.

:)

He's 80 or thereabouts - saw him at a con a few years back, nice guy, never seems to have embraced the fame bit

I'll wait on Red Tide, my "to read " pile is ridiculous at the moment but I will get to it, I like most of his stuff :)

It's just I'm mixed up in an IOT project ATM, crazy amount of research - very interesting - will it make money ? NFI - that's IT :))

Cheers

Yes I saw that Ali, I put it on the list :)

I''m currently reading "Men of Air" an account of the "Battle of Berlin" and other Bomber Command offenses against Nazi Germany in the later stages of WWII. Absolutely horrifying, when I was a kid in the 50s this period was glorified in a few English comics of the day, there's no glory in going out night after night knowing you probably wont get home. It has thus far further cemented my total belief that Whitehall chair-bound leaders such as "Bomber" Harris had and still have a limited grasp of reality and particularly of effective tactics.

Cheers

''How to win friends and influence people''

... Why?

No, really. If you're just basically not an arse to people and polite about asking for things, they will usually cut you some slack.

The only ŕeasons I can think of to want more than that is 1) insecurity, or 2) power. If it's the first, we can talk. If the second... You will probably get further reading Machiavelli's "The Prince". It's a short book.

Personally speaking, whilst I seem to get along just fine with almost everyone, I'm pretty sure that 90% of humanity should take a very long walk on a short pier. (Posting online at all put you in the fractions of 1%, let alone 10. There a LOT of people arounď.)

Im reading ''How to win friends and influence people''.

This book has changed my life.

I think you guys should read it, too.

:) I read that on a long boring flight to the US years ago, not sure it had much new to say TBH, but it passed the time :)

Cheers

''How to win friends and influence people''

... Why?

No, really. If you're just basically not an arse to people and polite about asking for things, they will usually cut you some slack.

The only ŕeasons I can think of to want more than that is 1) insecurity, or 2) power. If it's the first, we can talk. If the second... You will probably get further reading Machiavelli's "The Prince". It's a short book.

Personally speaking, whilst I seem to get along just fine with almost everyone, I'm pretty sure that 90% of humanity should take a very long walk on a short pier. (Posting online at all put you in the fractions of 1%, let alone 10. There a LOT of people arounď.)

allow me to offer another perspective

never read it, but ive always assumed — and a quick scan of wiki seems to affirm my impressions — that a 'benefit of the doubt' interpretation of this book's rather repugnant title is probably appropriate

if you think about human interaction in terms of what produces the most synergy, then the rigorous pursuit of ones wants and needs and the depth and clarity of communication that fosters is both desirable and necessary

ie. why shouldnt everyone aspire to the creation of win-win interactions as much as possible? in your case, this might be helping a brother out with some friendly directions to the pier :)

Immanuel Kant: "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law"

4th time through the harry potter series again. Never get enough.

Also just started The Hobbit.

I'd tried to read it in Highschool but the subtle cultural aspects were completely missed by my teenage mind and therefore it seemed TERRIBLE.

Now? I'm quite enjoying it! Quite a bit!

... Harry Potter series again ... just started The Hobbit.

That little sequence just caused me a great big WTF moment. Helps to read the details as well as the headlines. :p

We are packing in preparation for a move - a bit dangerous when tackling my somewhat huge book collection - this far I've added "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and "The Dancing Wu Li Masters" to my must re-read pile and the packing is far from over :)

Cheers

Re-reading Aaron Allstons Star Wars Legends work again, by far my favourite Star Wars author.

He was a rare talent in that he really grokked the Star Wars EU and was one of only two EU authors whose work never felt jarring or discordant to me.

I've just finished The Junkyard Druid series by MD Massey. Actually not bad at all. Kinda Jim Butcher in feel but slightly lighter and with a much more readable main character. Recommended for an Urban Fantasy reader or someone Urban Fantasy Curious.

I've decided to re-read Tad William's Memory, Sorrow and Thorn again because revisiting old friends that you haven't seen in ages is what you do sometimes. So, I'm about 1/3 way through The Dragonbone Chair now. I'm also reading AJ Lee's Crazy Is My Superpower: How I Triumphed by Breaking Bones, Breaking Hearts, and Breaking the Rules which is a damn good read on the autobiographical shelf.

I've tried to read Night Angel a couple of times and never managed to make it past the first half a book. I'm not even really sure why. I'll try again at some stage, but I have found it hard to wade through.

I've just finished The Junkyard Druid series by MD Massey. Actually not bad at all. Kinda Jim Butcher in feel but slightly lighter and with a much more readable main character. Recommended for an Urban Fantasy reader or someone Urban Fantasy Curious.

I've decided to re-read Tad William's Memory, Sorrow and Thorn again because revisiting old friends that you haven't seen in ages is what you do sometimes. So, I'm about 1/3 way through The Dragonbone Chair now. I'm also reading AJ Lee's Crazy Is My Superpower: How I Triumphed by Breaking Bones, Breaking Hearts, and Breaking the Rules which is a damn good read on the autobiographical shelf.

I've tried to read Night Angel a couple of times and never managed to make it past the first half a book. I'm not even really sure why. I'll try again at some stage, but I have found it hard to wade through.

:) Some books are like that Chaos, I had to take myself to a beach to complete reading "Zen..." not the easiest read, but worth it :)

I'm having a huge fight with my "library" trying to be ruthless about stuff I'll never read again, not working very well :)

Cheers