Sign in to follow this  
NZT48

mice

Why are mice either called "optical" or "laser"? Aren't they all optical and it is actually LED vs laser? Why does the type of lighting matter?

Also I read all "laser" mice have built-in acceleration/deceleration. Is this true?

No, not all mice are optical. There are still a few mechanicals running around. Before optical mice, there were ball- or disc-type mechanical mice.

Also, whilst every optical I can think of now is either a LED LASER, or just a plain LED, once upon a time they were just a lensed globe light source. And they were utter shite at surface detection - you had to use a special polished metal mousepad, marked with a grid of dots, in order for it to get a good read of input direction.

No idea offhand about the accelerometer thing, but I have no doubt you could look it up easily enough.

When I said "all' it was in reference to the previous sentence which mentioned '"optical" or "laser"'.

I am aware ball mice are not optical.

In that case, you didn't phrase it very well. And given that the last mechanical I saw "in the flesh" was about 15 years ago, it wasn't unreasonable to assume you'd never seen one at all.

BTW, you might want to try be a little more gracious to answers to questions you had asked. I'm one of the thicker-skinned individuals around here, but even I won't take that sort of response too often before ignoring you. Just in case you start wondering why nobody is talking to you one day.

The acceleration is just algorithmic and can equally easily be done by the mouse itself or at the host end. Host end maybe sort of preferable since you can change the options more easily though comes with the disadvantage that you need a driver for whatever OS it happens to be used under.

These days optical will refer to projection/detection vs ball, though when they were ball only there was the move from earlier method of conductive wheel to perforated wheel using optical sensors which gave better precision and reliability.

Laser vs plain LED or just light source - I've got probably a dozen or more opticals and first experienced laser with my Logitec which I only just recently replaced after probably 10 years good service.

At the time it was a fairly quantum leap over normal optical though not as significant as optical over ball. Modern plain LED mice though do seem to operate much better than the ones of a decade ago.

Can i geek out for a moment?

At first I was going to correct you and say "Its mouses for the object" but then I realised, that as an acronym, MOUSE is already a plural.

"manually-operated user-select equipment" is plural, since equipment is plural.

SO!

very technically speaking, "Look at all the computer mouse, there are a lot of them" is correct.

Neither 'Mice' or 'Mouses' need be used.

That said, despite what form of acronym (or backronym) the industry gave it, I did recently learn that Engelbart nicknamed the "mouse" because a 'tail' came out of it.

He also wanted to call the cursor a 'Bug' but it didnt stick. So, if its named after the animal... then mice may be correct.

I now see why so many thousands of english study groups get together and discuss this, its rather facinating.

anyway, english geeking over :P

I guess the laser vs LED thing is all to do with consumer understanding than technical correctness.

Its like LED TV's; they're not (yet). They're LCD TV's with LED backlighting. But we never had 'CCFL TVs' as an advertising term, so it kinda went by without notice; lots of 'average joes' wouldnt even know their TV HAD a backlight, they'd assume "the screen lit up" not got shone through.

Edited by Master_Scythe

At first I was going to correct you and say "Its mouses for the object" but then I realised, that as an acronym, MOUSE is already a plural.

That reminds me of a book I once read, Its called The Puppy Who Lost His Way...

I wish I could say Billy Madison was my most recent memory of Adam Sandler, but sadly I've seen Pixels. :(

But seriously, "mouse" as an acronym is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, it sounds like a joke that some idiot took seriously and started repeating.